Extra Fuel - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 21Likes

post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Extra Fuel

What have you blokes that need more range done? I was thinking rotopax I can almost double my range with 2 of their large jerrys. I will be doing an outback trip sometime this autumn early winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:41 PM

two liter pop bottles in your bag. then you just smash them after emptying until you find a trash bin or refill. cheap. has worked for me many years.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 12:54 AM

Garage
Camel tanks ADV make an auxiliary tank for the AT. You gain an extra 100km but they cost around $400 US. At present they only have a tank that fits bikes without the pannier racks, however, they will be releasing another tank in the coming months. You might want to check out the high fender kits as well. I just purchased one! I wouldn't go with the pop bottles, that is an extremely dangerous practice and I have seen what happens when petrol comes into contact with a hot exhaust.

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing."
O. W. H.

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelpincher View Post
two liter pop bottles in your bag. then you just smash them after emptying until you find a trash bin or refill. cheap. has worked for me many years.
So how do you fill those at a fuel station and what happens if you go down on the side with the bottle in your luggage, you could end up with fuel all through your gear or your bike on fire neither sounds that appealing to me. I think for an in situ tank its either the Camel at 7L or the Safari at 13L extra will wait to see what they are like when they make it.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 08:44 AM

the fuel nozzles in the u.s. fit into the spout. these bottles are very tough and can take a lot of punishment. they do not leak. i have had them fly off in the dirt and not break. but do not store them near the exhaust. duh.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:40 AM

Starbucks coffee boxes have a gasoline proof bag inside that will hold up to two gallons safely. I have used these on several occasions with no problem:
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehanska View Post
Starbucks coffee boxes have a gasoline proof bag inside that will hold up to two gallons safely. I have used these on several occasions with no problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EJlId0r518
Great idea. Good McGyver thinking. I will now start carrying one of these along with my pop bottles. I have a 300 gallon diesel bladder that I carry on my boat for long offshore trips but it cost me $1000. I could have just used a bunch of these
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 08:25 PM

Big Ride Supply - 7L bladder. Bought two. They roll up relatively tight and hold enough extra "fuel" to get you away.
It says not for 'fuel', I think simply because technically it is illegal in the US/Canada to carry fuel in anything other than a proper container.
These bladders have a high burst rate so I doubt that unless it was sent flying you'd have an issue.

http://www.bigridesupply.com/Liquid-...ters_p_14.html

I have a 1-gallon rotopax as well for my little bike and for jaunts around the mountains just in case.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 09:25 AM

If what I saw yesterday was right, there's NO way I'd put the safari tank on my AT. That is the ugliest thing I've seen on a bike yet.

I just don't see them being able to make it look right.

Texas Honda Africa Twin FB page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408075406212122/

Combat Engineers Lead The Way!

2016 CRF 1000L
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsportvet View Post
If what I saw yesterday was right, there's NO way I'd put the safari tank on my AT. That is the ugliest thing I've seen on a bike yet.

I just don't see them being able to make it look right.

A photoshop joke, right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page