Heated Grip "Fix" Does it exist?? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Heated Grip "Fix" Does it exist??

I've started a new thread on this to try to get down to the clear facts of where the OEM grips are at the moment.

I'm currently seeking any feedback as to whether there is a 'fix' for the OEM heated grips. I have them on my Africa and have always thought they were pretty poor - even in an OZ winter. Essentially you can feel some warmth until the temperature drops below 10 degrees celsius and then you wouldn't know they're on.

I have read that there is a 'noise filter' or some other additional parts that have made them work better. I'd like to hear from anyone who has had these new parts or noise filter added and what was the end result. I've heard everything from yes there is an improvement to that they are no better. Is there even a whole other heat control box??? I've heard that one too.

I'm looking to raise the issue with my dealer before the bike gets serviced next week and I want to be able to provide honest feedback from AT owners who have had 'the fix' done to their bikes.

As they stand they are not fit for purpose and I can not believe Honda has not recalled or repaired the bikes fitted with these grips. It is pretty poor that Honda waits for the customer to raise the issue. Quite frustrating when you think of what this accessory cost!!!! Further more, to keep selling them to customers even though the issue is well known is in my opinion a "sin of omission'. I raised the issue at the point of purchase and was told there was already a new kit so the problem was fixed. I purchased my bike in February 2016. The grips were not fitted until around April as you had to wait for the accessories when you ordered the bike. Obviously this information proved incorrect.

Eagerly awaiting your responses!!!

Cheers

Wadeo
crstep likes this.

Last edited by Wadeo; 04-05-2017 at 03:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 01:57 PM

Heated Grip "Fix" Does it exist? No
Wadeo likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 02:27 PM

Garage
I'm in Canada, bought my Twin in February, had them install the heated grips.

I'm coming from an 07 GSA with OEM BMW grips.

The Twin grips got just as hot as my BMW did, which is plenty hot.

I have no answer as to why mine work fine in comparison to many who have had issues. My guess is that the controller I have is from a new batch. That would explain why they work properly for me.

It's very Japanese to not admit fault, but to quietly just fix the problem. That would explain why there is no word from Honda that 'there's a fix'.
Wadeo likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:19 PM

I have checked all the part numbers and I have the very latest bits as a "fix" on mine. They don't work. A guy on one of the forums did some proper tests and they are much cooler than ALL the other grips tested. The official view from Honda UK is that they work to specification, but, get this, they won't tell you what that specification is as it's commercially sensitive so classified. Apparently to fix the issue properly is a major job and involves some major hardware changes which Honda aren't going to want to pay for. They refused to refund the cost of my grips.
Wadeo likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:12 PM

I'm picking up my '2017' model in 2 days and I ordered the heated grips, which the dealer is fitting. My dealer tells me that the 2017 model includes a number of fixes for issues with the 2016, but apart from the corroding spoke issue he couldn't be specific. I hope the heated grip issue is resolved. I'm coming from a Multistrada with heated grips so I have a good benchmark (they were pretty hot).

I'll report back shortly.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wadeo likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the responses so far. I felt there might be still issues and as a result I didn't want to rant about it only to find that all the fuss was in vain.

The whole grip thing is tricky from my experience as it is all about the air temperature at the time you are testing. I too, when the grips were first fitted, thought mine were fine when it was moderately cool, the warmth was there - not great but at least there. I rode on a 4 degree frosty morning with my cousin on a Transalp fitted with Oxfords. I thought mine had broke as in those conditions the heat just disappeared. It's as if the alloy bars get that cold it just extinguishes any heat. By comparison the Oxfords were burning wholes in your gloves. The bikes were both turned off and had been for around 2 minutes when I grabbed the Transalp grips and I couldn't believe how hot they still were even though the bike was turned off.

Once again, thanks for your insight on the matter. I will only raise the spoke issue then.... that's a whole other story...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_jackson View Post
I'm picking up my '2017' model in 2 days and I ordered the heated grips, which the dealer is fitting. My dealer tells me that the 2017 model includes a number of fixes for issues with the 2016, but apart from the corroding spoke issue he couldn't be specific. I hope the heated grip issue is resolved. I'm coming from a Multistrada with heated grips so I have a good benchmark (they were pretty hot).

I'll report back shortly.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cheers mate, I'd appreciate your opinion on the matter!!!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:15 PM

Had my fix carried out on Monday. So far, not impressed.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:21 PM

I got my 2017 a few months now.was told,spokes and heated grips sorted,they never heard of set button sticking.Mind u when I mentioned problems with heated grips and spokes b4 I purchased,the dealer not hear about them either?.decided to wait and see bout the heated grips.glad I did now.had 500 km on bike and notice the so called double dipped spokes on back wheel starting to corode.front looks ok.
Wadeo likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
Had my fix carried out on Monday. So far, not impressed.
Sorry to hear that the 'fix' has been an epic fail. In your part of the world you need heated grips that actually work. C'mon Honda, get your act together!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page