Why did I choose BUMOT Aluminium Panniers? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By james.mc

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Why did I choose BUMOT Aluminium Panniers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petebcca View Post
.........James: I was interested to read your order list of farkles for your yet-to-be delivered AT. How did you decide on Bumot panniers? This is a brand i wasn't familiar with. Did you choose hard or soft? Cheers, Pete.........
Hi Pete,

I prefer to go with smaller manufacturers because they tend to try harder to make more innovative/robust products in my experience. Its too easy to go down the mainstream supplier route and the results are not aways as one would hope.

Bumot have a good reputation when you research them and read about real rider experiences with their products. The panniers lock on the bike and can be easily removed/unhooked after you unlock them. Bumot have a bunch of other extras available like liners and organisers that fit inside plus a lockable tool box option.. The Panniers are powder coated inside and out. They are robust and watertight/dust proof (according to users reports).

I chose Bumot's 'Defender' Pannier system: (supplied by ADV-Motorrad, NY, USA) although they are made in Bulgaria.
  • BUMOT Defender Pannier System - CRF1000L Africa Twin, Size: 40L/36L Colour: Black 1 $USD 1079.99
  • BUMOT Top Case Mounting Plate - CRF1000L Africa Twin 1 $USD 99.99
  • BUMOT Defender 25L Top Case, Color: Black 1 $USD 379.99

I selected the 40L/36L (17.7 x 16.2 x 9.1) Panniers because I feel the larger size would be too wide/bulky and would have more space than I require anyway. I tend to find that the bigger the available space the more you find to put in it!
Initially I have ordered the 25L top box for local use. Before my next big trip I'll order in a 41L top box that pops onto the same mount as the 25L box.
I also liked the idea of the optional toolbox that fits to the bike on the left (on the inside of the pannier frame) but have decided that more fuel has a greater priority, so will fit a Camel Tank in that space adding an extra 6L of fuel to the bike taking up to around 25L. That should increase range to well over 500km with full luggage he said... hopefully!
ADV Motorrad and Drew Burch like this.

regards
James Mc

Almost: 2017 CRF1000L DCT at the dealer with my name on it!
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page