numb hand - let's get a thread going - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

numb hand - let's get a thread going

I've just done 1200 mile round the Emerald Isle and the numb hand mentioned in another thread was a nuisance.
We need to experiment with some potential solutions and list on here what works for people.

Firstly though - are we all getting the same problem - numb right hand or fingers that comes on after a few minutes riding?

In my case it only happens at highway speeds - indicated 75 (true 67mph) is the worst. It is often accompanied by a pain within the shoulder (eventually). I am almost certain that it's a resonant vibration at 75 in 6th gear. If I put my left hand on top of the brake fluid reservoir it feels like a dremel tool is cutting through it with a carborundum wheel. There is no noticeable vibration on the left bar.

Grip Puppies haven't worked for me. I have the OEM handguards fitted. no engine bars. Panniers were on for the trip, but I'm sure it happens without them.

Fortunately for me, it seems to pass off after about 25 to 30 minutes riding, but I'm worried that I will go on a long trip and it won't pass.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:00 PM

Garage
I felt it right away as compared to my last bike (Yamaha R1), which was smooth as ice in every gear at every speed. I'm chalking the AT vibration up to being a twin and just not needing to be so refined. On my near 500-mile weekend, I used a Throttle Rocker to fight it and it definitely helped.

-motofabio
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:40 PM

I have 2 pairs of gloves. One is a pair of AlpineStars SMX2 Air Carbons. The other is a cheap pair of waterproof gloves that are thin. The AlpineStars make my hands go numb, but the cheap ones don't. Go figure. I think it is too much leather folded up at the base of my fingers when I am riding, even though the AlpineStars are built with curved fingers.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:34 PM

Hi Mike, I have the Oxford heated grips installed, and it definitely helos... It doesn't eradicate the issue completely but helps a lot..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
I've just done 1200 mile round the Emerald Isle and the numb hand mentioned in another thread was a nuisance.
We need to experiment with some potential solutions and list on here what works for people.

Firstly though - are we all getting the same problem - numb right hand or fingers that comes on after a few minutes riding?

In my case it only happens at highway speeds - indicated 75 (true 67mph) is the worst. It is often accompanied by a pain within the shoulder (eventually). I am almost certain that it's a resonant vibration at 75 in 6th gear. If I put my left hand on top of the brake fluid reservoir it feels like a dremel tool is cutting through it with a carborundum wheel. There is no noticeable vibration on the left bar.

Grip Puppies haven't worked for me. I have the OEM handguards fitted. no engine bars. Panniers were on for the trip, but I'm sure it happens without them.

Fortunately for me, it seems to pass off after about 25 to 30 minutes riding, but I'm worried that I will go on a long trip and it won't pass.
Mike
it's you or something you have done to the bike. This bikes handlebars don't vibrate normally. If it was a major issue you would hear about it on these threads.
Mudslingr likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:34 PM

I still think the solution IS a throttle lock of some sort. I know you say it only happens at 75 indicated, but that could be a due to pressure needed to hold throttle open that much?
I use the NEP MCC20-P version throttle lock. It is only 20$ or a bit more and solves the numb hands thing for me 100%.
In my case, it has nothing to do with vibration or speed, but the twisting needed to hold throttle open. I had the problem on Gold Wings, if I did not use cruise control, same thing on Tenere if cruise not used, and now on AT.
The NEP goes right on in 5 minutes if you get the right version, easy as pie to set and release, and I am betting it is a great solution for numb hands. It is for me!
When I drive out on open highway, I use cruise control on our cages also. Why use muscle tension to resist spring mechanical tension when it is not necessary????
Flyer likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root View Post
I have 2 pairs of gloves. One is a pair of AlpineStars SMX2 Air Carbons. The other is a cheap pair of waterproof gloves that are thin. The AlpineStars make my hands go numb, but the cheap ones don't. Go figure. I think it is too much leather folded up at the base of my fingers when I am riding, even though the AlpineStars are built with curved fingers.
Worth considering - but I have used my gloves on 3 NC750 bikes and my Rocket and I don't have a problem. I might try riding with no glove on the right hand for 20 minutes.
Mike
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasten View Post
I still think the solution IS a throttle lock of some sort. I know you say it only happens at 75 indicated, but that could be a due to pressure needed to hold throttle open that much?
I use the NEP MCC20-P version throttle lock. It is only 20$ or a bit more and solves the numb hands thing for me 100%.
In my case, it has nothing to do with vibration or speed, but the twisting needed to hold throttle open. I had the problem on Gold Wings, if I did not use cruise control, same thing on Tenere if cruise not used, and now on AT.
The NEP goes right on in 5 minutes if you get the right version, easy as pie to set and release, and I am betting it is a great solution for numb hands. It is for me!
When I drive out on open highway, I use cruise control on our cages also. Why use muscle tension to resist spring mechanical tension when it is not necessary????
I have the Gocruise fitted - and obviously if I set that and don't hold the right grip at all, then it doesn't happen, but even if I rest my hands gently on the bars the right goes numb.
Mike
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 06:41 AM

You have a tire out of balance or some other mechanical anomaly. Take it to your dealership to get checked.
Mine has never vibrated as you have mentioned.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslingr View Post
You have a tire out of balance or some other mechanical anomaly. Take it to your dealership to get checked.
Mine has never vibrated as you have mentioned.
Well when I borrowed the shop's demonstrator for half a day, I had the same problem so I think it's in the nature of the engine rather than some fault (the bike does not feel vibey). Just some people's arms and spines react to it and others don't. No big deal but it would be nice to get lots of ideas to try. I'm keener on damping the right bar than using different kinds of insulation.
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page