Heated Grips - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 26Likes

post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:54 AM

Garage
My final post on these. I give the Oxford hot Grips 10/10 for heat but 6/10 for fitment. I think the power connections are a bit cheapo, one cable kept falling out of its connector during fitment but I was too invested in cable routing etc to warrant taking the whole lot off and starting a warranty claim.

Unless they are protected under plastics somehow you are going to have to buy something else to cover up the connections around the headstock area to make them waterproof. I was hoping to get the connections buried in the fairing sides but you would need to make up an extension cable for one grip to be able to do that. Better waterproff connectors would of just been better.

The Adventure Grips are possibly a bit too long for the AT and If I did it again I think I would buy a shorter set. Right hand side required no filing of the throttle and no glue, the fit was tight but was quite straightforward, just a bit too long though, see pictures why. Left hand side was loose, superglue failed first time, reapplied again and I hope that does it this time. I am not sure I wont have to do it again or fix it some other way, it was too easy to slide on.

Can I complain for £50? Not really but I would pay another £10 for better quality cabling. The length thing is my fault, I should have researched the length a bit more myself. I could of filed off the lip on the throttle body to get an extra mm or two and I might still do that, as it didn't require glue I still have that option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	11346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	11354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	11362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide4.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	11370  
Mcridr and VicAT like this.

250X7 (first bike 17 years old, T-Boned it in 3 weeks), CB250K4 (needed wheels), CB350K4 (last wheels needed replacing, ran engine without oil after rebuild, DOH!), T500 (didnt handle, didn't care, 2-stroke smoke - EPIC!), 883 Sportster (oh dear, mistake), 1340 Lowrider Covertible (stolen before a year old), Daytona 1200 (heavy, 147BHP mad lump), DR350 (reliable small thumper), CRF1000 (love it)

Last edited by eltel62; 12-02-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 09:09 AM

I went with Koso Apollo grips.
Much prefer the integrated control compared with the Oxford control box.
I had to trim the ends quite a bit, but no problems
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:31 AM

I hadn't seen that brand in all my years of adding heated grips to bikes. Those are really slick looking. They work okay? Seems like a good replacement for the ridiculously priced Honda grips and the marginal engineering of the Oxfords.

Thanks for sharing this info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrides View Post
I went with Koso Apollo grips.
Much prefer the integrated control compared with the Oxford control box.
I had to trim the ends quite a bit, but no problems

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." – Robert Louis Stevenson

post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:39 AM

Yes, these work nice, 5 settings, look stock, but twice (ish) the dough than oxfords. Still less than oem
After reading all the disappointments bout the oem, these Koso were a no brainer
superfunkomatic likes this.
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post
I hadn't seen that brand in all my years of adding heated grips to bikes. Those are really slick looking. They work okay? Seems like a good replacement for the ridiculously priced Honda grips and the marginal engineering of the Oxfords.

Thanks for sharing this info.
I also fitted the Koso this week. Did not like the control box idea! Had to trim the throttle side a bit, but that is no problem. The selection button sits nicely in the 'V' between the thumb and first finger.
superfunkomatic and eltel62 like this.

Africa Twin 2016 - Current
BWM GS1200 Adventure (12) - sold; BWM GS1200 Adventure (07) - sold; BWM GS1200 - sold; BWM GS1150 Adventure - sold; BMW GS1150 - sold; BMW F 650 (why?) - sold; Honda VF1000R - sold; Honda VF750F - sold; Suzuki GS 1000G - sold; Suzuki GT 750 - sold; Suzuki RM250 - sold; Suzuki 550GT - sold; Honda CB360 - sold; Yamaha XT250 - sold; Honda CB175 - sold; Yamaha DT50 - sold
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:25 AM

Garage
I know I said last post but....! Wasn't quite happy the way the Oxford grips turned out on the throttle side with the clearance, it was a too much friction. I removed the throttle side again and cut/filed off the lip on the nylon throttle which stopped the Oxford grip travelling further up the handle. This is going to be an issue with any aftermarket grip. It took about 15 minutes with a craft knife and a file as I tried not to scratch the switchgear housing. I cleaned out a little excess rubber on the inside of the Oxford grip which I missed before and it slide on easier, still firm but now it requires the superglue, that was no problem. (they do tell you to check for this).

End result is a much better finish and clearance. Now I would recomend the "Adventure" size grips as suitable but ones 10mm shorter may well save you any cutting at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	11825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	11833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	11841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide4.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	11849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide5.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	11857  

kari4711, Mcridr, VicAT and 1 others like this.
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 04:42 PM

Looks very neat now! Somebody needs a Dremel for Xmas though

I've always used ordinary PVA for gluing grips - it's strong enough to hold them in place and reasonably flexible but wont stick fingers together or ruin paintwork, with the added benefit of being able to get the grips off again if you need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltel62 View Post
I know I said last post but....! Wasn't quite happy the way the Oxford grips turned out on the throttle side with the clearance, it was a too much friction. I removed the throttle side again and cut/filed off the lip on the nylon throttle which stopped the Oxford grip travelling further up the handle. This is going to be an issue with any aftermarket grip. It took about 15 minutes with a craft knife and a file as I tried not to scratch the switchgear housing. I cleaned out a little excess rubber on the inside of the Oxford grip which I missed before and it slide on easier, still firm but now it requires the superglue, that was no problem. (they do tell you to check for this).

End result is a much better finish and clearance. Now I would recomend the "Adventure" size grips as suitable but ones 10mm shorter may well save you any cutting at all.
eltel62 likes this.

Red M/T, the shinyness didn't last long...
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 03:15 AM

Garage
Hi eltel62!

I'll go to mount my Oxford Adventure grips by this weekend. So many thanks for your post and the useful information on this topic.

Greetings, gerhard
eltel62 likes this.
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 06:09 AM

I really like the way this mod turned out and want to do the same with my Koso grip. Any advice on removing the superglued grip, apart from 'carefully', will really be appreciated!

Thanks.

Africa Twin 2016 - Current
BWM GS1200 Adventure (12) - sold; BWM GS1200 Adventure (07) - sold; BWM GS1200 - sold; BWM GS1150 Adventure - sold; BMW GS1150 - sold; BMW F 650 (why?) - sold; Honda VF1000R - sold; Honda VF750F - sold; Suzuki GS 1000G - sold; Suzuki GT 750 - sold; Suzuki RM250 - sold; Suzuki 550GT - sold; Honda CB360 - sold; Yamaha XT250 - sold; Honda CB175 - sold; Yamaha DT50 - sold
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 10:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I really like the way this mod turned out and want to do the same with my Koso grip. Any advice on removing the superglued grip, apart from 'carefully', will really be appreciated!

Thanks.
If you mean the the original Honda grips they were very easy to get off, I rolled them back on themselves starting from the switchgear end, they are not really glued down, just a little tight. Once off I put them in a cup of hot water from the kettle to make them more maleable to turn them outside in again. (not sure why really, will I ever use them again?) Clutch side was hardest as it is the thickest. What is not shown in my pictures is a very fine brown layer of something Honda sprayed on under the grips, very thin glue perhaps. It came off very easy, totally non sticky and quite flaky. A bit of light sandpaper took care of it so the new superglue had a clean surface to stick on. Good luck with your job!

If you mean getting your superglued Koso grips off (which I now know is what you mean after re-reading your earlier posts)....ooh, that might be a bit tricky now. I think I would just try repeated forward and back pressure on the grip in a twisting fashion, cold be a lengthy process.

Trialsta - Dremel would of been dead handy!

Last edited by eltel62; 12-09-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page