Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Heated Grips

59K views 82 replies 48 participants last post by  worstell 
#1 ·
The Honda heated grips seem ludicrously over-priced - even when compared to rival Japanese offerings.

For this substantial outlay do you get the following?

1. Variable power (heat) levels
2. An indicator in the dash to tell you what they are up to

The Yamaha Tracer, for example, has heated grips that are around 50% of the @ cost and give you both of the above features (at least I think this is correct...) - and that's a budget bike!

#3 ·
Koso Grips

The honda grips seem to be a tad overpriced. They were on the AT that I tested and they work good but I'll wait and see how much they are in Canada.
I have looked at Koso grips and they make a series that look very similar to the AT heated grips. Control built in to left grip as well. Wondering if they may be the supplier to Honda
http://kosonorthamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/AM1110301.jpg

Im not a computer genius if the link doesnt open the grips are Koso Apollo

#7 ·
When Honda Baltic allowed me to see the bike in November, they tried to sell me the grips too. I still like Oxford grips better. However Hondas are 5 stage and dashboard indicator shows what level is engaged.
One of the selling points was that Honda grips are thinnest (Yes they are, they feel as standard grips).

#10 ·
Which Oxford grips did you get? Did you need to trim them down? I just bought the Adventure grips but they look a bit too long... Also does the throttle tube need adjusting or grinding down? Ive been reading things like that but dont want to have to go through all that really.

#12 ·
I installed the OEM Honda Heated Grips. I detailed some of the install here ---> http://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/111337-post277.html

Some of the photos explain what your asking. The dash indicates 5 levels of heat and a button on the left grip is how it's activated.

You might want to check the other sections because there's already a few threads talking about heated grips.

#14 ·
#15 ·
I fitted the Oxfords a few weeks ago. I went with the sport size as they are shorter and fit well. The left side was fine, but I had to trim the throttle side a hair. I have used these exact same grips on my DRZ and DR650 with nary a problem.

I removed some of the left side fairing and ran the wires under the plastic and over the radiator. Stock grips popped right off with a little compressed air. Left side slid on easy and I glued it down, but throttle side was tough to get on and I didn't use glue, just a little hairspray.

Took me about 2 1/2 hours including removing the crash bars to remove battery (and install the Shorai :grin2:), with several interruptions from my six year old mechanic helper.

Attachments

#16 ·
I fitted the Oxfords a few weeks ago. I went with the sport size as they are shorter and fit well. The left side was fine, but I had to trim the throttle side a hair. I have used these exact same grips on my DRZ and DR650 with nary a problem.
I've used them on my on a few bikes. Great grips, and they've gotten better over the years. Not sure if you were being literal with the "exact same grips" part, but the Oxford Grips I installed on my AT last Sunday are the exact same pair that was on my FZ1, since I swapped grips between the bikes. To prevent wearing through the rubber (and to make them slightly larger) I wrap them with tennis racket wrap.

I wanted to use Koosa heated grips this time, but they measure 130mm, and it wasn't clear they could be trimmed enough.

Like you I had to trim throttle side of the Oxfords slightly.

I like the switch fitted into the grip.
Did you install those Koosas on your Africa Twin? OEM bars? Did you move the controls inboard? Trim the grips to fit? Or did you find a pair of Koosas in the correct length? Online I only found longer ones.

#18 ·
my power cable routing and control switch mount - Oxford Hot Grips.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
There is a white wire in the big connector behind the meter, that goes to "heated grips on symbol" of the meter. Remember, that also the set power of the Honda heaters is shown in the place of time in the meter every time the power is changed or the heated grips are turned on.

I'm not sure, what voltage the meter and the symbols are running, but in any case I'm going to try to get the heated grips on -symbol working with my $50 KTM Powerparts heated grips. I'm planning to apply 12 V to that white wire allways when the heated grips are on. I've allready installed the elements on the grips, but not made the wiring ready. Hopefully the gray smoke, by which the all electrical gadgets are working, stays inside the meter...

It would help if someone having Honda OEM heaters could measure the voltage of that white wire when the heaters are at full power. That white wire can also be found on the connector behing back left side cover where the heater control unit is located.

I'm still waiting the reserve key to my AT (ex dealer demo bike) and it must be to workshop for key programming. So I wouldn't like to strip down the bike before that. The wiring work for heated grips, 12 V output on dashboard and GPS mount are waiting for that also. And the McCruise is coming by DHL. The good luck is it's winter here in Finland.

#43 · (Edited)
Finished finally the installation of KTM heated grips. Insulated the left hand bar end by 2 layers of electric tape under the element. Installig the grips was fairly easy, lots of grip glue inside the grip, then just pushing one, fast move.

I took the power from Fuzeblock which I installed under the seat. I tried to apply 12 V when heaters were on, to the white wire going to the heated grips symbol light on the meter, but it didn't work. I would have one spare indicator LED in my storage, but it's too bright. Let be without the indicator light. There is no danger for emptying the battery, since the power input is provided only when ignition is on.

Both grips are heating, no gray smoke seen (by which all the electric gadgets are ran) :grin2:

I stripped all the fairings plus gas tank and airbox. I think remowing tank is neccessary for doing the electrics properly, but airbox removal is not neccessary. Still, I installed also McCruise CC and power for GPS at the same time and the CC could not be installed properly without removing the airbox. On the picture below the airbox is still on.

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
My final post on these. I give the Oxford hot Grips 10/10 for heat but 6/10 for fitment. I think the power connections are a bit cheapo, one cable kept falling out of its connector during fitment but I was too invested in cable routing etc to warrant taking the whole lot off and starting a warranty claim.

Unless they are protected under plastics somehow you are going to have to buy something else to cover up the connections around the headstock area to make them waterproof. I was hoping to get the connections buried in the fairing sides but you would need to make up an extension cable for one grip to be able to do that. Better waterproff connectors would of just been better.

The Adventure Grips are possibly a bit too long for the AT and If I did it again I think I would buy a shorter set. Right hand side required no filing of the throttle and no glue, the fit was tight but was quite straightforward, just a bit too long though, see pictures why. Left hand side was loose, superglue failed first time, reapplied again and I hope that does it this time. I am not sure I wont have to do it again or fix it some other way, it was too easy to slide on.

Can I complain for £50? Not really but I would pay another £10 for better quality cabling. The length thing is my fault, I should have researched the length a bit more myself. I could of filed off the lip on the throttle body to get an extra mm or two and I might still do that, as it didn't require glue I still have that option.

Attachments

#23 ·
I hadn't seen that brand in all my years of adding heated grips to bikes. Those are really slick looking. They work okay? Seems like a good replacement for the ridiculously priced Honda grips and the marginal engineering of the Oxfords.

Thanks for sharing this info.

#26 ·
I know I said last post but....! Wasn't quite happy the way the Oxford grips turned out on the throttle side with the clearance, it was a too much friction. I removed the throttle side again and cut/filed off the lip on the nylon throttle which stopped the Oxford grip travelling further up the handle. This is going to be an issue with any aftermarket grip. It took about 15 minutes with a craft knife and a file as I tried not to scratch the switchgear housing. I cleaned out a little excess rubber on the inside of the Oxford grip which I missed before and it slide on easier, still firm but now it requires the superglue, that was no problem. (they do tell you to check for this).

End result is a much better finish and clearance. Now I would recomend the "Adventure" size grips as suitable but ones 10mm shorter may well save you any cutting at all.

Attachments

#27 ·
Looks very neat now! Somebody needs a Dremel for Xmas though ;)

I've always used ordinary PVA for gluing grips - it's strong enough to hold them in place and reasonably flexible but wont stick fingers together or ruin paintwork, with the added benefit of being able to get the grips off again if you need to.

#29 ·
I really like the way this mod turned out and want to do the same with my Koso grip. Any advice on removing the superglued grip, apart from 'carefully', will really be appreciated!

Thanks.

#30 · (Edited)
If you mean the the original Honda grips they were very easy to get off, I rolled them back on themselves starting from the switchgear end, they are not really glued down, just a little tight. Once off I put them in a cup of hot water from the kettle to make them more maleable to turn them outside in again. (not sure why really, will I ever use them again?) Clutch side was hardest as it is the thickest. What is not shown in my pictures is a very fine brown layer of something Honda sprayed on under the grips, very thin glue perhaps. It came off very easy, totally non sticky and quite flaky. A bit of light sandpaper took care of it so the new superglue had a clean surface to stick on. Good luck with your job!

If you mean getting your superglued Koso grips off (which I now know is what you mean after re-reading your earlier posts)....ooh, that might be a bit tricky now. I think I would just try repeated forward and back pressure on the grip in a twisting fashion, cold be a lengthy process.

Trialsta - Dremel would of been dead handy!

#31 ·
JohnG
With the supplied super glue, did you run into problems sliding the koso's on. Panic time there for me!
I too have a bit of a gap on the throttle side at the lip on the throttle tube.
However, I trimmed the end to avoid interference with the bar end, so if I get the grip off, trim the lip off the throttle tube to slide on further, I will have a gap on the outside end, most frustrating.

Heads up anyone else
Love the Koso grips, but do not use the superglue supplied.

#32 ·
That was what I was intending to do with the Oxfords and leave the gap but I was at maximum trim with the adventure set so it forced me to take action. Having said that I can be quite anal about these things, the gap would of bugged me forever so I am glad I did it.

#35 ·
New Oxford Grips

I see Oxford have released (or I just havn't seen them before!) "Advanced Grips" instead of the "Premium" version. These have addressed the issue of poor connectors. They have now made the connectors waterproof which is much more sensible. Plus they have added 9 heat settings, not sure if anyone needs that many though. For those that dont like the seperate controller (I don't mind it) it is still there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.