New Arrow Exhaust - Page 9 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 23Likes

post #81 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:55 AM

The issue is not HP it's how lean the bike is from stock, if you then put a big bore exhaust minus the cat then it runs far far too lean and that endangers the engine - the remap is designed to enable the bike to run a AT optimal fueling and thenone ive had down will adjust to air pressure and tempreture to keep it in the optimal range no matter what!

If you're in the U.K. Google hilltop motorcycles - Geoff is an expert in his field - does the Isle of man TT bikes amongest other things!

I've noticed much more torque low down and a crisper throttle at lower speeds which takes out the inherent jerkyness I was experiencing on the stock bike. - this more than likely a European issue due to our emission laws!

Main reason I changed mine was for the poor fuel I'm goi to see in Africa - the stock bike would have not been able to deal with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 05:48 AM

I'm in Australia and I'm quite interested in the arrow headers with a Barrett Can but I'm not keen if it will affect reliability. On my 450 I just re-jetted to suit the aftermarket pipe and opened up airbox. I'm a little apprehensive about efi and tuning.
post #83 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadoganpier View Post
I looked at the arrow system in the flesh and in the end went for the full Termi set up. It sounds lovely, like the standard but a bit louder but with a real rasp at the top end, it also pops and crackles a little bit, which is nice..
That Crackle and Pop you hear is a symptom of a lean mixture and if not dealt with has the potential to damage you engine through excessive heat. I'd be limiting your riding to local stuff until you get that mixture sorted out via a remap or PC.

post #84 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusk450x View Post
That Crackle and Pop you hear is a symptom of a lean mixture and if not dealt with has the potential to damage you engine through excessive heat. I'd be limiting your riding to local stuff until you get that mixture sorted out via a remap or PC.
My totally stock EU bike Crackle's and Pop's all the time when rolling off (from higher revs) but that seems to be common, I quite like it. I would'nt mind a remap if it sorted out the low speed jerkyness though, I find that quite annoying. Power/Torque good for me, if I wanted more I could of bought a different bike!
post #85 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
How did you get the remap done?

I visited Hilltop M/C's and dealt with Geoff, the owner

One MUST use a 3rd party add-on tuner box thing, is that correct?

No, Geoff writes a new sub-programme onto the ECU. This is not over-writing the factory settings

I would CERTAINLY be concerned with engine damage if I was putting on a full exhaust system without remap.

Which is why I got it done.

How much did it cost?

£360

Is this a file that can be shared, distributed etc.?

No

Could a person not just upload the map to their own tuner-box thing, hook it up to bike...and you'd be good to go?

Not as far as I am aware

I realize that every bike will run different on a dyno but in general...just a healthy dose of fuel most places on the band must smooth everything out, make a bit of power and even keep things a little cooler wouldn't it?

I presume so, I'm not really into such wizardry !

...how the **** does this affect warranty??

It technically doesn't as when the dealer plugs into the ECU, it reads the standard map.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by Davy F; 02-21-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page