Reports from Owners on Panniers/Luggage - Page 15 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 99Likes

post #141 of 204 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post
I have an AT on order and am debating whether to get the Honda panniers and top case or buy aftermarket ones like the Holan Nomada Pro Expedition or Hepco and Becker.
If they are up to the task of a tipover or low speed crash/get-off then I'd just assumed go with the Honda ones and their slick mounting to the bike.
Anyone have any first hand experience or seen them in action?
I can tell you what arrangement I have settled on. However, there are so many variable and personal likes and dislikes, that I don’t think there is a single correct answer. The correct answer is what you are comfortable with.

Something to also bear in mind is that I am a few year over the extreme riding phase of my life. The experience gained then is invaluable today. I now do more ‘adventure riding’. We do long distance dirt riding that may have various conditions in a day. It will vary from perfect gravel roads to thick sand, river crossings, rocky mountain pass, winding foot paths and so on. The whole trip experience is made up of the riding, sitting around the fire at night, with flavoured water, spinning tales about the day.

I have seen stainless steel panniers badly distorted during a relatively low speed fall. They had to be panelbeated, but could still be used for the remainder of the trip. I have also seen an instance where the stainless panier was too strong and the impact transferred to the rear frame of the bike, causing more damage. And then of course the plastic one just break up on impact.

From a security, or locking, perspective I ‘think’ it is dependant on the Continent where you are going ride. Where we ride, Africa, I have found that once you are in a country you are okish, because you can keep an eye on your stuff, and to be honest, once you are away from the big cities people are very friendly and helpful. However, during border crossings you cannot always keep an eye on the bike and generally that is where things go ‘walkies’. So being able to lock is a plus. Something to bear in mind. If someone really wants your stuff, they will take it, no matter what!

So, what I did was to categorize the rides, and get stuff to suite each and or a combination of them.

a) Soft Luggage: Hard, technical ride where you know you are going to really struggle through serious rocks and the odds of a fall all greatly stacked against you. I had a very serious look at the moskomoto gear (Backcountry 35 (left side) and a Backcountry 25 (right side)). http://www.moskomoto.com/collections...35-pannier-kit. I looked at this range because our rides are generally over a week at least and one needs the capacity. Ashley put a deal together for me, but when one takes into account the exchange rate, and more importantly the duties and taxes, it just did not make financial sense. So at the end of the day I settle for the ATG Overlander soft luggage. This system is not as organized as the moskomoto, but it looks robust enough and I think it will do the job. I also spoke to a couple of people with experience on these and they are happy with them. http://www.atgear.co.za/atg-multi-ac...ddle-bags.html.

b) Panniers: I choose the Hepco and Becker Xplorer (40 Ltr left and 25 Ltr right). It is an aluminium / plastic mix and it will certainly not take a major impact, but is has some form of security. (I will explain my reasoning further down as to why I choose these.) More importantly, H&B make OEM parts for other brands, so they should know what they are doing. I like their pannier frame. It seems to mount well, but I may try to brace it better under the seat. What is important to me is that the pannier frame is not made of a material stronger or thicker than the bike’s rear frame.

How I intend to use these:
I do some rides that are 100% tar rides and it is very easy to dump some stuff into a pannier, and off you go.

When we go on a local trip that involves dirt I will use the ATG gear.

What the intention is on a cross border trip is to use a combination of gear. There is always dirt on these trips and they will vary in conditions, but are not ‘extreme’. I will use the H&B panniers for some security, but in the 40ltr pannier I will stuff the 35ltr ATG bag. Should there be an incident, whether me or a mate, that means dumping a pannier, I will have another bag available.

What I am still investigating a way to fit a bag, about 35ltr, across the rear seat. I would not mind if it rests on the seat and tops of the panniers. The standard rail is in the way. I don’t really like having things sitting out there on the rear bracket. Until then, I always have a very old Baehr soft bag on the rear seat. On a trip I place the heavier stuff here. That will be stuff like compressor and tools.

To me, the most important thing on an adventure trip is confidence. My mind set on adventure riding trips is to be VERY positive. When you are riding and something feels like it is going to catch you out, your FIRST INSTINCT must be to be looking for the way to overcome the obstacle, and not to be looking for the best place to fall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1697.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	10602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1696.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	10610  
eltel62 likes this.

Africa Twin 2016 - Current
BWM GS1200 Adventure (12) - sold; BWM GS1200 Adventure (07) - sold; BWM GS1200 - sold; BWM GS1150 Adventure - sold; BMW GS1150 - sold; BMW F 650 (why?) - sold; Honda VF1000R - sold; Honda VF750F - sold; Suzuki GS 1000G - sold; Suzuki GT 750 - sold; Suzuki RM250 - sold; Suzuki 550GT - sold; Honda CB360 - sold; Yamaha XT250 - sold; Honda CB175 - sold; Yamaha DT50 - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 204 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 01:04 PM
NBV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
The racks are not easily removed. But I don't intend to remove them. They protect the bike, look ok, and have the tool box attached. I got them at ADVmotorad.
are these 45L/41L? are you happy with them?

::.:.:: Natural Born Voyager ::.:.::
post #143 of 204 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your opinions and experience. I'm still waiting for a bike to arrive in Canada. We've been lucky and had really unseasonably warm weather so I've been able to ride up until now, which is completely unheard of.
I'll post details when I've actually received a bike.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." – Robert Louis Stevenson

post #144 of 204 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 03:06 PM

Luggage, yeah a subject to its own, which one?

I went down the thinking of How Much to Replace if a severe Crash?

A Tip over, Damage?

Frame cost to replace if hard gabs are used and does that save body damage?

The Touratech stuff has Stainless Tubing, very tough. If my bike feel over without my bags own, I would not damage side parts, and just maybe scratch stainless steel. If black coated it would show more damage. If my Bags wear on, and it tipped over, which it did and scuffed the lower corner strip, 45.00 bucks to replace if want to remove any signs of damage. But no other damage to the bags themselves. A dip **** backed into my bike and it tipped over. The bark buster saved the mirror and just broke the hand cover, 42.00 bucks. No side damage to the bike at all. The bike slid about 5-9 feet on its side too.

If I had Honda Pannier Bags, I don't feel it would have faired as well, and If no Honda bags the damage would have happened on the side of the bike. So having the racks, natural stainless steel and or bags saved my body work without major damage. If a hard crash, in a low side, a bag would save the bike from damage, and just replace the bag and move on. Most of the parts on a Touratech Pannier are replaceable individually. Their Mounting kits, parts are individually replaceable. They are high quality made, a great company to do business with.

Here is my bike with their stuff on it. I have the Touratech expandable tank bag, I haven't been a fan of tank bags until this one, it a very nice one and holds a lot.

Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crf1000 - 1.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	10946  

Last edited by Todd Whiteley; 11-19-2016 at 03:11 PM. Reason: correction
post #145 of 204 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 03:26 PM

I forgot to mention, an elephant stepped on a Touratech bag and did not damage it. Once its closed and latched, it is water proof, and dust proof. You may bent the sides, or scratch it, but it will still be usable.

ps my Honda dealer already sold 2 sets of side bags to one guy for his bike, the bike fell over.
post #146 of 204 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 09:14 PM

Garage
I am very happy with my Givi Trekkers.

Added the topbox right after that...

The Trekkers are on SW Motech racks. They are tough, waterproof and easy to use and take on and off.
DreamRider likes this.

Rob

http://motopumps.com

2016 Rally Red Manual Africa Twin
post #147 of 204 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 10:04 AM

Looks like Honda will be coming out with better OEM bags, courtesy of Givi.

2016 Tricolor DCT

Last edited by True Ad Venture; 11-21-2016 at 10:07 AM.
post #148 of 204 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Ad Venture View Post
Looks like Honda will be coming out with better OEM bags, courtesy of Givi.

Those photos don't work for me

Red M/T, the shinyness didn't last long...
post #149 of 204 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:41 AM

Garage
Ad venture.....photos not working for me either.....interested to see the new line up!

Adrian
post #150 of 204 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:51 AM

Odd, I can see the pics fine whether logged in or not.

2016 Tricolor DCT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page