Reports from Owners on Panniers/Luggage - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 78Likes

post #21 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 06:34 PM

I'm thinking of getting the Honda panniers to use around town and commuting. Most likely, I'll just run one for my laptop and daily carry stuff. I have a Giant Loop bag that I like quite a bit and would go with soft luggage for longer trips or any that involve off-pavement travel.

Will consider a top box later...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

That seems like a good combination, too.

Maybe I'll keep my money in hand and just invest in the top case like you've done and get the Honda panniers with the package pricing.

I really like the Givi Trekker Outback top case and panniers. A bit more spendy than the Holan but good quality and easy on/off of the bike. Plus, Givi has a bunch of accessories for inner bags and gear netting for inside of the lids of the cases.

Thanks for your information

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenB View Post
We've ordered Honda panniers and a Givi Outback 58l topbox in black.

The Honda panniers seemed ok. Not too rugged, but solid enough. We use them for longer trips, but otherwise they're not on the bike. The mounting system is neat and tidy, and when the boxes are removed there's no frame.

The Honda top box is poorly built and would not close. The dealer actually took it out of the showroom to avoid embarrassment with other customers. It will only take one helmet, too.
BenB likes this.

__
2008 Honda Varadero, 1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." – Robert Louis Stevenson
post #23 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

I've continued to look for options.
SW Motech now sells and
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and you can add the
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now that I've found the SW Motech rack I could continue to use my TRAX luggage from my Varadero for longer touring and beating, and keep the Honda luggage for city and on-road touring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
Just had a reply from Givi

'Good Afternoon and thank you for your email.

I would advise that we are currently in the process of manufacturing a range of accessories specific to the 2016 model of the Honda Africa Twin. The current range can be viewed on the following weblink;
). At the present time, we are not producing a pannier frame that is compatible with our “TRK” Trekker cases. The only pannier frame option that is currently in the process of being manufactured is compatible with our Outback Trekker cases. Our R&D Team in Italy is continually working on developing new products and it is possible that in the future we may produce a second pannier frame option for the 2016 Honda Africa Twin, therefore, it is certainly worth keeping an eye on the Givi.co.uk website for updates.

As the items are in the process of being manufactured, we are waiting for notification from Head Office as to when the items will be available to the market and we are also awaiting pricing information. However, any items specific to the Honda Africa Twin can be pre-ordered through your local Givi stockist / retailer then once the first batch of the products hits the UK, you will be one of the first recipients'.

I really fancied a set of the Trekker (not the Outbacks) but it seems they don't make a pannier frame for them, its Only for the Outbacks.. might go the soft route now..
cheers all
Rob.

__
2008 Honda Varadero, 1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." – Robert Louis Stevenson

post #24 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Another cheaper and probably more durable case option that is out there is the Kappa
and
. They can double as a top box and work with the SW Motech EVO hardware with adapters. They are basically GIVI Trekker cases without the top opening quarter.

A couple of 33 litre side cases and the
and you'd be set with tons of space for storage. Just have to wait for SW Motech to release their AT Steel-rack for the top case.

__
__

Last edited by superfunkomatic; 02-13-2016 at 09:22 PM.
post #25 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 07:49 PM

Did you have prior experience with those cases?
post #26 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

I have a GIVI 52L Trekker top case on my Varadero. It's excellent. I know that many think it is too big but for long trips or commuting without bags/panniers it's perfect to get all your stuff on for work.
The GIVI case is identical except where the badging goes and the amount of aluminum wrapped on the outside.
The GIVI are also almost 50% more for the same product.
Kappa makes cheaper rack systems for other bikes but I'd just assume use the SW Motech ones as my experiences on a couple of bikes with their mounting hardware have been positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullThrottle View Post
Did you have prior experience with those cases?

__
__
post #27 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Well, I'll be the test pilot on the luggage. I've bought the KRG33 cases today (two cases including matching locks for $521 CDN) and they should arrive sometime next week. The SW Motech EVO racks may be a while as I have to rely on a Canadian vendor to supply them as SW Motech will not ship direct from Germany. When the top case mounting plate is available from GIVI (SR 1144) or SW Motech, I'll add the top case.

Now all I need is the confirmation of the bike delivery.
FullThrottle likes this.

__
__
post #28 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 01:40 PM

Excited for your pictures when everything is mounted.
post #29 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 12:23 PM

I have been thinking about the givi trx panniers and the sw motec frames as I have the same thoughts on the Honda panniers.

The kappa panniers look good so I will check out the pricing in the uk, post up some pictures of the install when you get it all fitted up.

My AT wont be here for another month or more so I have a little time.

If you need some help shipping the SW Motec stuff from Europe, let me know although the exchange rates might be against you. (€-£-CAD).
superfunkomatic likes this.
post #30 of 176 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 06:30 PM

Can anyone who as the oem panniers do me a huge favour and measure the width of the bike when both panniers are fitted please? I'm thinking for road trips they'll be the best option...

Many TIA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page