Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Holan crash bar

27K views 58 replies 29 participants last post by  fabriktr 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Like the looks of that set up. And going back to the other offerings for the AT on their website, the lower protection bar is great... it actually protects the center of the engine on both sides. The other brands have an upper and lower engine protection bar, which looks nice enough, but that actually leaves the center of the motor on both sides more exposed. I like the Holan design better. It's simpler, cheaper (only 65 euros, not the 100+ of the Hepco-Beckers), and maybe even more effective for what it's really supposed to be doing there.

#5 ·
Wow. I just double-checked the price for the HP bars. I didn't remember that right at all. The Hepco-Becker lowers are a whopping 198.50 euros... yowsa. Yeah, those Holans are looking VERY nice now.

Kudos to you, tjjj, for coming up with that info!

Reactions: tjjj2006
#6 ·
The reason the Honda bars are so much more expensive is because they are made of an aluminium alloy, light and strong. All the after-market crash bars I've seen are steel, strong but heavy.

People keep saying that the motorcycle already weights 220+kg so what's a few more kg's. If you say that with every after-market accessory then everything adds up eventually and you will effect the handling. Personally I will try to keep the bike as light as possible and with manual I've got a 10kg head start already ;-)

#8 ·
Yeah, and the other "flip side" of that argument is the fact that old fashioned steel is tough and pretty easy to repair and/or touch-up w/paint after it actually gets some use. Aluminum, not so much. So yes, the aluminum alloy is lighter, but more expensive and harder to fix if you actually go down.

I think it may depend on how much off-road riding you actually do, and if you are putting yourself in situations where you might dump it more often.

That said, marsbeetle, you point is very well taken. If you aren't careful, it is pretty easy to turn a bike into any overladen pig if you just keep throwing gear on without considering the total extra weight of all those farkles.

Reactions: tjjj2006
#21 ·
Hello,

One crash on aluminum crash bars and they would be crushed by a 500+ lb
Adventure Bike right into your engine or farings. Aluminum isn't strong enough, it's too expensive and most of the aluminum alloys don't weld or bend worth a ****.
Now high strength aerospace titanium is super strong, half the weight of steel and would cost about $5000.00 a set. They'd make great crash bars for that door knob Trump....LOL.

No...we're pretty well limited to Mild Steel, Alloy Steel or Stainless Steel.

EZ

#11 ·
I think it's interesting that Holan, Honda, Hepco and Becker, and Touratech have all chosen different points on the bike to put their cross line to protect the bike. The Honda goes right past the nose and none of the others do. You'd think the centre of balance would determine the point that would touch first on the front or when the bike goes down. The other thing is some of the crash protection goes over the logo/badges, which seems odd.
We'll have to get some testers out there to let us know which they think is best.
I touched the Honda one at the motorcycle show and it felt solid and designed to take a fall - no idea what material it was made from.

#12 ·
I like the lines of the Honda bars best of all, but don't think the silver finish looks right on the red bike. The Touratech bars have the worst lines, covering up all the logos. The Holan bars are my favorite so far, but I don't like the way that the cross line is so far back compared to the Honda ones.

I'm still hoping that the Altrider bars are the best of all worlds when they come out...

#13 ·
#23 ·
I am drawn towards the Holan products after trawling through everything available or not available depending on brand. I am not sure about the mountings of the engine bars though and would appreciate a close up photo of that aspect if possible ?

The upper crashbars are well mounted but again the guage of the steel used is quite small compared with some of the competitors. I am torn between these items and the Honda bar currently.

#24 · (Edited)
Hi Griff,

I'm afraid if they don't show them in a crash situation like the Outback Motortek bars they are probably just decorations. You're talking a 500+ lb bike hitting the ground at speed. I think a lot of these dainty bars like Holan will collapse or crush. The tubing is just too small...JMHO. Why don't any of these manufacturers show a crash test....Hmmm

Here is how the Outback Motortek crash bars work. Lorry is the owner, the manufacturer and the Adventure rider and he only puts out the highest quality safest quality products he can design. Watch the video and wonder to yourself why the rest of the manufacturers don't show how their products perform in a real life crash....with a 500+ lb bike...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaZl38h7OCo

https://www.outbackmotortek.com

EZ

#25 ·
Hi Griff,

Here is how the Outback Motortek crash bars work. Lorry is the owner, the manufacturer and the Adventure rider and he only puts out the highest quality safest products he can design. Watch the video and wonder to yourself why the rest of the manufacturers don't show how their products perform in a real life crash....with a 500+ lb bike...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaZl38h7OCo

https://www.outbackmotortek.com

EZ

Ok, Got that. I dipped into the site and as far as I can see the product is either sold out or not fully developed yet. Yes, I liked what I saw with regard to the GS. I will drop them an email.

#26 ·
I emailed Outback and got a fairly instant response which was appreciated. I quote :-

"We're fitting the final prototypes of the AT crash bars tomorrow and we'll begin manufacturing immediately.
Pricing will be available later this week, too and we can ship your order from within the EU."

I will hold on a little while to see where that leads and then make my decision.

#28 ·
Could you post a link to Erey's post-crash photo of Holan guards? I searched on Advrider just now and couldn't find it. Probably poor search terms.

But consider that how the guards fared in a crash isn't the issue. What counts is how well did they guard the rider's hands and parts of the motorcycle they are designed to protect. Given the cost of damage from a crash (medical for the rider, parts and labor for the bike) protective guards and bars can be considered expendable if they do their job well.

#32 ·
Thanks fir the link. The Holan bars didn't quite save the AT's fairing that time.

I had a close look at those photos. As far as I can see the crashbar bent and got close to the bodywork but I cannot see that it was responsible for breaking it ?

There must have been rocks involved as the fairing is well shattered .

#36 ·
Hey, can anybody who has already fitted the Holan bars (upper and/or lower) tell me what torque settings they used for the bolts? Especially the engine/frame bolts!

And this is a big ask, but being able to describe which bolts go where would save me, and I'm sure hundreds of other people a lot of head scratching. Holan really should have included some instructions.

#37 ·
My Holan experience

I was told that delivery to the UK would be 5 working days (I explicitly asked more than once). After two week, I had been chasing them up and Holan tell me that they haven't even shipped the bars yet. I live in Italy and had been killing time waiting for the bars in England, so I told them I need to return to Rome and to send the bars there, to which I got no confirmation or reply.

I returned to Rome expecting them to deliver the bars to my UK address none the less, but after the third week of waiting it appears at my doorstep in Rome! Great!.....except....

This is an indication of how it was packed. A messed-up big box with parts of other old dirty greasy boxes as a box filler. Good that they recycle, but it was a gross mess and some of the cardboard inside was really dirty and oily. By the way, i didn't rip or cut any of the cardboard in this picture. That really IS how much there was!

And also:

I didn't get all the parts needed. I got the bars, but these are all the fitting parts I got. At least several missing. I search through the boxes again, again and again but they were entirely not there. I asked Holan to send what is missing, but again, no reply or confirmation.

So, I'm stuck in limbo without any bars fitted to my bike, over a month after I paid £300+ for some. Should have gone with Hepco and Becker. Their service is impeccable.

#39 ·
Can somebody help me? I've been emailing Holan every few days asking for the missing parts so I can just fit my f**king crash bars 2 months after I bought them. They are completely ignoring everything I send them, including emails to their complaints department and the phone number they provide (which I get a Polish friend to call because they're a Polish company) is answered by a robot which says the phone inbox is full and to call back later. 320 euros down the drain as it stands.

Please can somebody advise what I can do? I don't even know what bolts and nuts to buy because there are no instructions with their products.

#40 ·
They take forever to email back the first few times I emailed them... Zero replies at all in fact. It was a lack of communications which made me think twice tbh. I also tried calling like you did, no luck as well.

Then I checked with another forum and was given this email - biuro@holan.pl

They replied within the day when I sent it to that email. Someone called Aleksnadra.
Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.