center stand - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black99S View Post
Any physical differences or other reason to choose the SW Motech over the Honda centre stand? I've just ordered an AT...
What about the weight, shape, ergonomics, price etc. Is one stand clearly the better choice? Or is the SW Mototech an exact copy of the Honda one?
I'd like something other than the 'bounce' discussion that has collected most posts.
I have the Honda OEM one and highly recommend it. Super easy to get the bike up with it, iv'e done it in flip flops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Any physical differences or other reason to choose the SW Motech over the Honda centre stand? I've just ordered an AT...
What about the weight, shape, ergonomics, price etc. Is one stand clearly the better choice? Or is the SW Mototech an exact copy of the Honda one?
I'd like something other than the 'bounce' discussion that has collected most posts.
Does it really matter, how much of a difference can a piece of painted mild steel really make? Who would bother buying a load of different vendors stands and then compare them? I'm anal but not that anal!
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:27 PM

I don't know if it's the centre stand or something else but something definitely bounces under the bike for me too, will have to check the 1 or 2 springs issue tomorrow!
Only other issue with the OEM one is it's very difficult to use with the OEM panniers on as they get in the way

Red M/T, the shinyness didn't last long...

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsta View Post
I don't know if it's the centre stand or something else but something definitely bounces under the bike for me too, will have to check the 1 or 2 springs issue tomorrow!
Only other issue with the OEM one is it's very difficult to use with the OEM panniers on as they get in the way
As reported by others, it may not be your stand making the noise. The drive chain can "slap" the top of the plastic wear bar on the swingarm. It is designed to wear and be replaced when down to the mark. After you adjust your chain tension next time see if the knocking is gone or reduced.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Yep I agree with eltel62 it is the chain. I have had it happen, tighten it up a bit and gone.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:28 PM

I went with the SW-Motech centre stand and skidplate extension - very good bit of kit and easy to install apart from the spring which took my leg to extend it to get it on the clip.
sybjer likes this.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltel62 View Post
Does it really matter, how much of a difference can a piece of painted mild steel really make? Who would bother buying a load of different vendors stands and then compare them? I'm anal but not that anal!
Don't know why you bothered with the acerbic reply eltel62- no data. Usually guys who buy stuff look at each others bikes to confirm they made the best choice and are happy to shout the differences.

And there can be a lot of difference - better weld gussets, larger feet, better shaped lever arm, lighter weight, easier over centre, too easily pushed forward off the stand, doesn't lift the rear wheel high enough (or too high) off the ground for maintenance.

The only key feature difference I see on SW Motech website is "maximizing leverage using a specially designed foot lever for easy engagement". Is that enough reason to buy it vs the Honda one?
Jimrides likes this.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the data based comment - I don't plan on buying the Honda luggage but for sure I'll consider this with any luggage I look at. Mosko for example ...

Regarding the noise - this guy found his noise was with the rear shock spring clicking on it's base.
This thread http://www.africatwin.org/threads/su...ock-noise.713/
... give the lower spring seat a squirt of penatrating oil. From the bottom where the spring retainers contact the lower shock rod end, squirt the oil up between the retainers so it fills the void and drips from the other side. This lube will allow the retainers to rotate on the lower shock rod end freely, instead of loading to the point of breaking loose causing the clunk in the video.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Don't know why you bothered with the acerbic reply eltel62- no data.

The only key feature difference I see on SW Motech website is "maximizing leverage using a specially designed foot lever for easy engagement". Is that enough reason to buy it vs the Honda one?
I understand your reply and agree with your comments on peoples opinions on different kit, my response was supposed to come across flippant not acerbic, I apologise. I do think many over analyse some elements of any purchase, a stand seemed to be the most irreverent. How could anyone really compare a centre stand to another, who would buy more than one?

"maximizing leverage using a specially designed foot lever for easy engagement" - yeh, that's called marketing.

Last edited by eltel62; 01-10-2017 at 03:03 AM.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:57 AM

Installed the SW center stand with skid plate extensions, and happy so far. One note, search some you tube on center stand springs, can find some good ways of installing. I used ratchet straps connected to a motorcycle lift, and it worked perfectly. Ratchet got it close and lever with screwdriver, it went on perfect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page