Crash Bar, crash test? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Crash Bar, crash test?

Anyone had the misfortune of crash testing crash bars yet? Particularly the ones with the bars high up by the front nose cowl?

Just wondering how well they hold up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 04:30 AM

"Well... After over 5000 miles off road and 5 drops I can assure everyone that the SW-Motech upper bars and hand guards really do their job."

This feedback was reposted from, "Crashbars - Anyone got any?" page 32.

I like the way you can access the air filters relatively easily.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeo View Post
"Well... After over 5000 miles off road and 5 drops I can assure everyone that the SW-Motech upper bars and hand guards really do their job."

This feedback was reposted from, "Crashbars - Anyone got any?" page 32.

I like the way you can access the air filters relatively easily.

I don't really consider the SW-Motech crash bars as "upper" but rather "mid". They're like frame sliders to me.

Anyhow, it's good to hear they're holding up. Were there any damage to any of your fairings/cowl/etc?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Yep... that was me. I admit it. I crashed.... FIVE times. Not bad for 5000 miles off road though?

Here are the details:

Drop 1: Mississippi mud - no protection necessary except when you need something to tug on when you are slipping around in the weirdly slimy nasty stuff! I came round a corner and the mud started very quickly and I had no time to slow down and stop.

IMG_8222 by Jason WD, on Flickr

Drop 2: Arkansas sand - again... no need for the bars really, I think the hand guards did most of the work. Getting the bike up in this situation was a massive massive task. I even managed to put the panniers and my armour on an ant hill. Joy!

IMG_8234 by Jason WD, on Flickr

Drop 3: Oklahoma Farm road - a deep deep dry mud rut fell the bike into a field of cotton. Nice and soft!

Drop 4: Colorado gravel road - This was a very hard road and caused the most damage, but again, the bars took most of the force and scratched the guards. The bike came to rest on the right side engine guards. It was night time, midnight, and I was very tired doing a simple U-turn, had a brain fart and bang! Down went the bike.

Drop 5: Rockies - I'm surprised I only dropped it once in the rocks. It was tough. A Jeep was coming uphill and I gave way on an off camber loose slope. The front wheel tucked and the bike went down on the rocks. Again, only the hand guards got cosmetic damage and there are some little scuffs on the DCT filter screws. No kind of engine guard could have prevented this because rocks are random!

IMG_8419 by Jason WD, on Flickr
Nemesis and Griff097 like this.

JasonWD.com - Silver DCT No.000011 -Complete Trans America Trail '16. Check the blog.
Please add your location to your stats!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 12:04 PM

I stupidly overloaded a top box and overbalanced at the end of a long day, when I had to stop suddenly coming out of a carpark somewhere in the Vosges region in France earlier this week. The bike is unscathed, apart from a slight scuff to the left-side hand guards (and so am I), but the D-shaped upper section of my Givi crashbar set was bent in about 3-5 cm. towards the top left fairing (i.e. the point of maximum mechanical leverage, given the choice of potential places for direct support), and now almost touches it. The engine-guard section, which is directly bracketed into the frame in 3 places, was unaffected. It saved the whole bike this time, but what is effectively a one-off result isn't good enough for a bike designed for off-road use, in my view. I thought the set would do better. The components seemed quite hefty when I fitted them.

Maybe Hepco and Becker, Holan or Touratech, et al., use stronger materials on their similar designs. And please bear in mind that the bars came down hard on solid tarmac, with the extra weight of me (78 kg.) and the heavy top box (maybe 35 kg.+ - yes, I know!) giving them an extra whack. I mean, that guy from Outback Motortek dropped his BMW riderless and unloaded on a gravel drive. But nonetheless, it looks like the verdict rests with SW Motech/Outback Motortek approach at the moment.
Wadeo and Nemesis like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 08:22 AM

Garage
Jason how is it picking this monster up any technique you can share? Nice mud that had to be fun.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid6 View Post
Jason how is it picking this monster up any technique you can share? Nice mud that had to be fun.
Back to bike, bar close to tank, squat, fail... swear lots, pace about, pull anything off the bike, try again, pull a muscle in your back and eventually get the thing upright.

JasonWD.com - Silver DCT No.000011 -Complete Trans America Trail '16. Check the blog.
Please add your location to your stats!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 04:20 AM

I low sided in some deep dust here in socal last week doing power donuts...Honda uppers saved the fairings, not a scratch, but even with the super soft substrate I still punched a 2"x1" hole in my alternator cover dumping all my oil and ripped my passenger footrest hanger completely off...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnShroe View Post
I low sided in some deep dust here in socal last week doing power donuts...Honda uppers saved the fairings, not a scratch, but even with the super soft substrate I still punched a 2"x1" hole in my alternator cover dumping all my oil and ripped my passenger footrest hanger completely off...
Mind sharing pics plz?
stormy1954 likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 03:58 AM

In the last 13000 Km i had some small falls off road, SW-Motech crash bars protected properly, the contact points were the handle bar (I do not use the passenger footpegs) the crash bars and the GIVI brackets.

I believe that for small falls are enough, but for something more dramatic ... you better have a good insurance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page