Which Boots - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Which Boots

Hi all, I'm looking to buy some new Adv Boots, I'll be doing mostly outback country dirt roads, not to much bush bashing. Also on a budget, say max $400. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The Burger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 09:20 AM

Garage
I'd suggest something around mid calf with good ankle support that is waterproof and has deep, oil resistant tread. Up to $400 you have a lot of options. Motorcycle superstore has 58 returns that are below that

78 Yamaha xjs 400 (Japanese spec), 12 HD Vrod Muscle, 16 AT

<insert overused Thoreau quote here>
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 09:47 AM

I would say thumbs up for the Forma low adv. Ive been happy with them so far, but can't provide a comparison.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 12:40 PM

Forma High. Best boot I have ever owned. Just did a ride where we had to pull a buddy out of a mud hole 8" deep. I walked in, helped get the bike up, walked out, and feet completely dry. Great boot, comfortable, good ankle support, nice shin protection + well under your budget! I have had mine for three seasons now and won't ever change.

https://www.atomic-moto.com/Forma-Ad...ots_p_788.html
imapathfinder likes this.

'00 KLR, '08 GSF 1250FA, '16 CRF1000L
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 05:24 PM

Many of the people I ride with recommend wearing motocross boots. I have Sidi 'On Road' boots that I normally wear. They do not have a hard shield to protect your lower shin. I had a "get off' on 8/22 that put a heck of a lump on my shin and my whole ankle swelled up. The pain is now gone but there is still a big bump.

While I could not ride I started searching for more info on protective gear. I found this site:

eveRide.org

After watching his video and spending time searching the web I bought knee/shin guards:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this Motorcycle Full Body Armor Protector:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got them just in time too. 9/11 I got caught after dusk still on some back trails. Hit a big rut and went down hard on some rocks and hard pack dirt. I'm not sure what my chest hit but I'm sure if I had not had the armor on I would have broken ribs/collar bone or something.

Anyway, check out his sight. He has some good info.

Ti04

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

I had a few spare minutes the other day and tried FORMA ADVENTURE LOW's personally did not like them, as when I was walking around with the boots on they dug into my shin bone, very annoying very uncomfortable for me, but I like the look of the FORMA ADV HIGH even the FORMA TERRA, any feedback? on these. Thanks

The Burger.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:39 PM

I've had my SIDI Discovery Rain boots for about five years now. Love them! Comfortable right out of the box, waterproof (recently was knee deep in a bog and my feet were dry), and good balance of protection and comfort for dual purpose. Fits your price range, too. Only drawback, they're hot and don't breathe a lot.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:22 PM

Garage
Thumbs up

I got a pair of Gaerne Midland Gore Tex boots this spring and love them. Breathe well, are waterproof, very comfortable on and off the bike and offer decent protection. They are well within your budget.

Got mine from FC Moto in Germany. Shipped to the US for less than I could by them here.

Rob

http://motopumps.com

2016 Rally Red Manual Africa Twin
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 05:20 AM

check out these - recently purchased them online - although some sites are more expensive - I'm very happy with them - great to wear/ walkabout in while off the bike - waterproof and comfortable from the first wear and much more flexible than standard motox boots

http://www.alpinestars.com/toucan-go...t#.V-JGP_B97IU

https://www.louis.eu/artikel/alpines...n-boots/202399
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 08:24 AM

I swear by SIDI Crossfire 2's.......... motocross heavy duty with the SRS swappable sole system. Amazing kit, would not wear anything else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page