Which HELMET - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Which HELMET

Hi all, I maybe in the market for a new Helmet,
Just wondering what you are all wearing out there and why?
Comfort? Noise? Wind buffeting? Fit? Price? Value?
What would you buy next time?
Cheers.
Joe likes this.

The Burger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 07:47 AM

http://nexx-helmets.com/en/catalog/showfamily/dual/x.d1

CZ 360, DT175, xt600, fzr600, r1100gs, r1150r, drz400, f800gs, r1200gs, r1200gsLC, CRF1000L
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 10:12 AM

Garage
I am wearing a Shoei Hornet X2 Seeker in Red.

Great fit for my head, good venting and quiet compromise. No buffeting for me with my AT and MRA Vario Touring Screen. It matches the color scheme of my rally red AT to boot.

Rob

http://motopumps.com

2016 Rally Red Manual Africa Twin

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 02:25 PM

Helmets of choice

Howdy,

After 35 years of riding bikes 200,000 miles plus on street, 3 years on track, 25 years of riding dirt. I have worn helmets over the years. 2 major bike accidents, one with an Arai and one without brand X. My brand X name brand helmet back in 1984 left me in a Head Trauma and had two head surgeries removing cranial pressure from my brain. Now I only wear Arai, period.

My last major get off was on my Honda Goldwing, a truck turned in front of me and I had no where to go. See it doesn't matter who's fault, you loose. My helmet hit the ground, "2 weeks old" then front bumper of the Truck of an F150 pickup when I was ejected. Mirror abrasions and distal radial fracture of my right wrist. I had no face, or head trauma but the helmet took a beating, mush worse than in 1984.

My personal believe don't save pennies / dollars when your head is involved. Aria doesn't make a modular helmet for a safety reason, Why?

I wear gear all the time now, yeah its hot, its bulky, and wear a full face Aria, period. Its not if you get off, its when.

There are lots of advancements made in helmets, Aria's statement, we don't make helmets, we make Aria's.

I wear these Aria Helmets Comair V street, Signet Q Street, XD4 adventure / Dirt.

When buying a helmet, it needs to fit the shape of your head. Cheek pads can be changed, Arias have pull away features to custom fit you face once your head is fitted.

When the EMS arrived on scene at my Goldwing Wreck, they used the Emergency Cheek Pad removal and removed my helmet without moving my neck. I was back boarded to the hospital where a CT scan was done along with X rays. My Helmet was toast... But no inures to my face or head. Yeah, It totaled my Goldwing.

I have scene some wrecks riding at the tracks. Lots more speeds, and witnessed a biker hit another and took the other riders foot off, and both bikes waded up, careflight carried victims off. The guy lost his foot is back riding again, yes he wears an Aria. He has an artificial leg and foot beneath the knee, but still rides.

Just some things to think about, and my personal experiences.

TEX
Drum Dog and Roman Sem 2 like this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 02:38 PM

Garage
Schuberth E1.....quietest and comfiest helmet with built in sun visor.....even touratechs new lid is built upon it!!!

Adrian
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 09:32 PM

I wear a shoei hornet x2 in silver, Like the helmet, And it fits me like a glove, I have had many different lid's over the years, tried many, but always seem to come back to shoei. If I go for just a road ride I use a RF 1200.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:02 AM

Shoei Hornet for me too.
really comfortable for my head.

You really have to try on as many as you can.
We all have different size and shape heads!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:13 AM

Arai XD for me, but it really depends on your head shape... try as many as you can. This is my fourth Arai and feel safe with this lid. I also have the "long oval" head shape that Arais tend to favor.

ALSO - if you opt for a helmet with a sun visor (enduro style) make sure it ACTUALLY WORKS! I had a Shoei Hornet before this XD and the visor was useless (too short) to block the sun when I tilted my head down. Not a big deal unless you are finishing your off road day riding uphill on a westward facing slope as I tend to do
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 04:08 AM

Shoei flip front for me Quieter than the Shurberth C2 I had previously.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 04:39 PM

I wear either an Arai Tour x-4 or an Arai Chaser ... depending on what I am doing. Having survived a major crash whilst wearing an Arai some years ago I wouldn't wear anything else now. Having said that I think it really depends on what fits your head best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page