Improving helmet peak vibration - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By pjm

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
pjm

Improving helmet peak vibration

I have found that by adding a length of Screen Trim to the edge of the peak on my Shoei ADV helmet it has made a significant improvement to the peak vibration/buffeting, at speed. I had it left over from removing it from my MRA short screen after fitting a deflector. I used the two clips to nip the ends and it is nice and secure. If you didn't have the clips you could put a small dab of super glue either end to secure it, if it moved. As such it has improved the issue without adding any danger of a metal or carbon fibre brace or the like becoming dislodged in an off and ending up lodging in the rider. You can pick it up cheaply off of the famous auction site. The trim I have is black which I see against the white peak so I might invest in a length of white trim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:57 AM

Any pics pjm?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 02:00 PM

Garage
Years ago I had one of the Arai helmets that was the first of the Adv-style helmets. The peak vibrated in the wind. I stuck some wheel balancing weights on the underside of the peak and the vibration stopped.

---
Angels Camp, CA

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 03:31 PM

It's a decent idea and I have some of that trim. However, it seems to me a bit of a sticking plaster solution. The peak is vibrating because rough airflow is hitting it. Weighting the pick doesn't smooth the airflow, so it may be that the vibration is then just transferred to the upper shell of the helmet. It may be less visually noticeable (which is definitely a good thing), but if it's stillthere it could still be tiring on a long run.
Mike
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
pjm

With a combination of tweaking the deflector and now the trim on the peak I am satisfied that it's comfortable at around the legal limit and unnoticeable up to that. I tried the Airhawk on the bike today giving me that tad Xta seat to peg height. Was slightly less cramped but initially a bit see saw action. I will deflate it a bit. The buffeting was not an issue today. It is worth tweaking the deflector. I seem to be having more success with it sloping back rather than vertical.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 05:49 PM

Garage
Peaks are for dirt bikes, not highway cruising.
Likely the long front of some ADV helmets are not good for highway comfort.
A smooth helmet air flow causes far less fatigue on longer highway sections.
Your helmet, like your bike is more dirt oriented

Live to ride
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
pjm

I find the peak stops the glare of the sun and as such it is great for riding on the highway. I have also found the design of the bike makes it probably one of the most comfortable and real world friendly bikes I have had in, my minimal, 45 years of riding. I love the Shoei ADV Navigator TC2 as the colours are a perfect match for my tricolour AT. I have a Shoei head and have always been impressed by the build quality. I have Shoei Neotec and now the noise levels are similar one peaked and one not. The comfort of the ADV is superb and the fit great. If I had one moan it would be that it is a bugger to get off without hurting my ears but with use that is slowly improving. Good luck to all of the off road riders but that is not my thing and although the bike may well be capable of it mine is for general road riding at which, in my opinion, it excels. Wind noise is the bane of all motorcycle riding but with a bit of tweaking I now have it at and acceptable and comfortable level. I love the bike for what it does for me and that is just great.
mike5100 and SurfsUp like this.

Last edited by pjm; 06-12-2017 at 02:36 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 03:17 AM

I only discovered the advantages of peaked helmets for road riding about 18 months ago. IMHO they are a huge safety boost. As PJM says they cut out glare but more importantly for me they avoid the need for me to drop the internal sunvisor. To do that I have to constantly be taking one hand off the bars but also it means there are then 4 polycarbonate/air surfaces to scatter and reflect and distort light as opposed to just 2 if I can avoid using the inner visor. If you ride a lot in the winter months in the UK you are faced with two further problems that the peak is brilliant at solving. Firstly you are faced with a permanently low sun, but secondly the UK wet weather means a coating of visor spatter quickly builds up. The two combined are lethal but the peak provides about an inch of clear higher contrast shaded vision through the spattered visor just by tilting your head.
(Mind you the Nolan N40 Classic Full can be changed ifrom peaked to peakless in about 30 seconds with no tools, so as long as I had somewhere to carry the peak I guess I could put up with the buffeting for short periods)
Mike
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
I find the peak stops the glare of the sun and as such it is great for riding on the highway. I have also found the design of the bike makes it probably one of the most comfortable and real world friendly bikes I have had in, my minimal, 45 years of riding. I love the bike for what it does for me and that is just great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
I only discovered the advantages of peaked helmets for road riding about 18 months ago.
Mike
Thanks, good to know. I'll give the peaks a try as I'm helmet shopping at the moment and I do like the larger openings on ADV helmets.
I didn't buy the bike strictly for it's off road prowess, rather the option and it's great to hear a seasoned rider who finds her as capable on road.

Live to ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page