Hitch Mount Bike Rack - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool Hitch Mount Bike Rack

What do you folks think of the this sort of rack for transporting an Africa Twin? Riding the AT across Kansas and eastern Colorado is not something I care to do with off-road oriented tires.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My set-up from a recent move, but would prefer to leave the trailer at home.

Marc

AMA & IBA member
2017 690 Enduro R | 2012 Concours 14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 07:47 PM

Personally, I think if you're trailering your bike to the trail then why get an AT at all? In my view, the point of an AT is that it is the most off-road oriented distance bike out there. If you're not going to do distance on it, why not get something like a KTM 690 Enduro R? It'll be just as good on twisty roads and probably better off road.

I'm probably going to run a TKC 80 on the front and either a Mitas E07 or a Heinenau K60 Scout on the rear. Hopefully that'll get me 8000 miles or so between changes, but we'll see. And that combination shouldn't be too bad off road either.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 09:22 PM

Thought riding around on asphalt with off road tires would wear them out faster?

Last edited by FullThrottle; 01-03-2016 at 09:25 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool

Not plans to trailer to a trail head. More, I will be using southern Colorado as a start point to places west. Last June I had the C14 at Death Valley and realized I need to return with a bike to access off-pavement roads. I left with unfinished business. There are a ton of places to ride in southern Utah, and of course plenty in Colorado.

I just prefer to not ride the AT from TN to CO, and am considering a convenient method of getting the AT transported. It may just come down to using the trailer.

Here is a photo I took at the top of the Burr Trail Pass.

Marc

AMA & IBA member
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 11:37 PM

FullThrottle - indeed, but the rear tyre is the biggest problem. People only get 3000 miles or so out of a TKC80 rear, but I've read of many people getting 8000ish out of an E07 or a K60 rear. That'll do for me. The E07 and K60 are dual-sport tyres, but towards the off-road focused end of the dual-sport tyre scale.

rider_marc - Fair enough! I just moved to the US from the UK a year or so ago, so the concept of trailering bikes was always alien to me. But I must admit, having ridden across America a couple of times now, I see the attraction of it! Unfortunately, I don't have a car that would allow me to trailer a bike, as I spent all my money on bikes and cheaped out on the car!
Nessuno and rider_marc like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider_marc View Post
What do you folks think of the this sort of rack for transporting an Africa Twin? Riding the AT across Kansas and eastern Colorado is not something I care to do with off-road oriented tires.

I've never used a carrier like the Discount Ramps model so you're getting the benefit of my opinion, not my experience. (I have used a hitch mounted front wheel carrier for hauling a dirt bike - which is related.)

First questions you need to ask; are your truck and hitch rated for a 600 pound load? If trailer tongue weight is not in the owners manual, look for the gross towing weight. Tongue weight should be 10-15% of gross towing weight, so if the truck can tow a 6000 pound (or more) trailer, you should be OK on that count. Next, will you have someone to help load the bike? It looks to me like loading a 500 pound bike on the ramp will take at least one strong guy (maybe two) and someone to balance and hold it while it's being secured to the ramp. You might Google or look on YouTube to see if it is a one man job. Unloading should be possible for one guy. If you're good with all that, it should be a good way to transport the AT. (Just to be safe, I would lock the carrier away while you go on rides.)
Nessuno and rider_marc like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@ JustPlainBillO, good points to check regarding the hitch rating. Also, a one person loading.

I had chatted with my dad about an F150 with the 6.5ft bed and being able to put the AT in there. I'm now 54 and have pretty-much decided I most likely would not enjoy loading any bike to that height, say five years from now. So, that isn't really the right direction for me.

Marc

AMA & IBA member
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider_marc View Post
@ JustPlainBillO, good points to check regarding the hitch rating. Also, a one person loading.

I had chatted with my dad about an F150 with the 6.5ft bed and being able to put the AT in there. I'm now 54 and have pretty-much decided I most likely would not enjoy loading any bike to that height, say five years from now. So, that isn't really the right direction for me.
not even with ramps?

You can get the Colorado/Canyon with a 6.2 ft bed as well, not a tall.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
For sure, if/when I get serious about another pickup, the new mid-size GM models would have to researched.

Marc

AMA & IBA member
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 01:02 PM

I think it may be best to stick with your current trailer. The Tilt-A-Rack you linked to looks like it has a pretty steep angle to push your bike up on.
rider_marc likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page