Red - Manual - In Colorado! - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RogerS

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Cool Red - Manual - In Colorado!

Just picked up my Africa Twin last weekend. Had to go to Arkansas to get it, nothing available in Colorado. Only about 50 miles on it so far, on street and some dirt. Loving it so far. Replaces my KTM Adventure 990R. So far feels equal to the 990 except the seat is lower.

Have already added the center stand, power outlet, new pegs and received a pair of Oxford grips today to put on this weekend.
motomarc55 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:51 AM

Which red is it ?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:09 AM

Congratulations on your purchase.
Get a good skid plate man.
I went up to CO this fall had a blast.
I have outback combo & love it saved me 4 times dropping it and few times bashing rocks in CO as well as Moab but get what you like.

You will find the suspension springs are weak on & off road even mild jeep roads & need to be stiffer look at my last post it has a link with specs.
It dives and uses up all suspension under hard breaking alone & I weigh 175lbs.
oil level and weight will need be adjusted for your riding style/skills as well trust me.

I am about to drop my $$ on race tech springs f/r & gold valves up front.
there isn't much low speed or mid speed damping to speak of so I will fix it all with a re-valve on rear as well.
with 30+ years riding Mine will be setup like a cross country MX bike it's just what I am use to.
enjoy the new bike I love mine wouldn't have any other out there.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:58 PM

Did you consider Koso Apollo grips when picking the Oxford?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 05:37 PM

Just picked up my Red DCT the other day and was wondering how it handles the off-road passes around here? How do you guys find first gear on steep descents or ascents? I don't do anything particularly challenging. Rollins Pass, Argentine, Geneva, Gold Camp, Corona, Weston just as examples of the typical places I've ridden.

What tires are you folks using? I'm looking at something closer to 50/50... I liked the Karoo 3 but wanted some opinions on that as well.

This isn't my first ADV bike, had a Super Tenere, then a Triumph XCx. Excited to check out some of these places on the AT!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvArt View Post
I don't do anything particularly challenging. Rollins Pass, Argentine, Geneva, Gold Camp, Corona, Weston just as examples of the typical places I've ridden.

What tires are you folks using? I'm looking at something closer to 50/50... I liked the Karoo 3 but wanted some opinions on that as well.

This isn't my first ADV bike, had a Super Tenere, then a Triumph XCx. Excited to check out some of these places on the AT!
Looking forward to riding Weston Pass myself as soon as time and weather permit.

I'm riding Mitas E-07's and I'm very happy with them. Definitely a compromise between dirt and street, but one that suits my style. I don't tend to ride anything technical, and the tread is aggressive enough for the dirt roads and fire roads that I favor. A little bit of buzzing and vibration on asphalt, but still quite comfortable and sure-footed at 85 - 90. Have not ridden them on any rain - slicked surfaces yet.

I almost bought an ST before I settled on the Honda; I'm curious why you sold you're other bikes in favor of the Africa Twin.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the advice! I've tried the Mitas E-07s on my Super Tenere. They are a really good tire. I rode them on rocks, gravel, loose dirt, sand (over by the COBDR sand section in Salida), and wet pavement, going over Berthoud Pass and got caught in a pretty hard thunderstorm. They did well even in that. I had over 5k on them and they were just starting to square off. My only very minor complaint with them was it took a long time for them "break-in". I had a couple monster-slides very early on. The other was the front-end felt a bit numb on the highway... Again very minor...

To answer your question; While I've been riding motorcycles for over 30+ years (with many years road-racing), they'd all been on streetbikes; sportbikes, naked bikes, muscle bikes, and cruisers. No dirt experience till just a few years ago, on the Super Tenere...

I sold the Super Tenere for a few reasons. I'm short in the inseam, and once I had the ST's suspension properly set-up, I was on my toes. Not a big deal on the street, but on uneven dirt roads/trails, it was a long way to the ground. It was heavy and it felt it once the bike moved from center by a few degrees for me, which usually meant I had to let it just lay over. The bike was also front-end heavy biased which was noticeable in some situations. It also lacked ground clearance. Going through rocky places like Geneva Pass, sections of Corona or Rollins, rocks were constantly hitting the skid plate, thus moving the bike around. I had some really nice gouges on the skid plate! Which also brings me to why I didn't just lower the bike. It was already low. One of the most amazing things Yamaha got right with the ST, was the gearbox. First gear was amazingly low. It was a tractor. Many times I found I didn't have to play with the clutch it would just motor up or down steep stuff easily...

So I decided I needed something lighter. The only ADV bike in the light(er) weight category were the BMW 800 and the Triumph Tiger XCx. I'm not a BMW guy, so the XCx was really my only choice. The XCx is a brilliant bike. The power was really good, its street manners were amazing. In the paved canyons, corner handling was outstanding, as easy as my Ducati. The electronic package was pretty amazing too. The WP suspension was really good. I was able to set my preload for my weight with the stock springs. (not really enough though fully loaded down). Off-road it was really good for what I did/do as well. I felt it was a very well rounded bike for the most part. If I wasn't pushing the highway speed-limit it wasn't to buzzy and I could ride it on the highway all day long if needed. On the dirt, standing or sitting it was really easy to ride.

But the one big negative for me was the gearbox. It was geared like a sportbike. First gear was very tall, and the rest of the gears felt very close. This was problematic on some of the steeper stuff. Going down hill, I found myself constantly working the clutch and brake to keep the engine from dying. Same for going up steep (challenging) climbs. These are the same places where my ST would have simply motor'ed up or down. A couple of times I stalled the motor when trying to turn around on a steep climb which resulted in the bike falling over. It did this once while riding by myself. I could not lift the bike up by myself as it was at a really bad angle. And again, once I got the bike's suspension set-up correctly I was on my toes.

I know part of my issue is training and practice. So many years of hanging-off the inside of a bike, hardly touching the rear-brake all need to be "relearned". I have two friends who have the XCx and they absolutely love the bike and one even did the COBDR on the stock Battlewings. So the bike is very capable...

It was honestly a tough decision to switch from the Tiger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanryn View Post
Looking forward to riding Weston Pass myself as soon as time and weather permit.

I'm riding Mitas E-07's and I'm very happy with them. Definitely a compromise between dirt and street, but one that suits my style. I don't tend to ride anything technical, and the tread is aggressive enough for the dirt roads and fire roads that I favor. A little bit of buzzing and vibration on asphalt, but still quite comfortable and sure-footed at 85 - 90. Have not ridden them on any rain - slicked surfaces yet.

I almost bought an ST before I settled on the Honda; I'm curious why you sold you're other bikes in favor of the Africa Twin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page