Day Trip - Ireland - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rockie

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Day Trip - Ireland

I decided to take a trip around Slieve Bloom Mountains, rural Ireland, fairly central. Lovely day out, 10 Deg Centrigrade which is mild enough for this time of year, heated grips were super though, glad i fitted them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	12009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	12017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	12025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide4.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	12033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide5.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	12041  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide6.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	12049  

250X7 (first bike 17 years old, T-Boned it in 3 weeks), CB250K4 (needed wheels), CB350K4 (last wheels needed replacing, ran engine without oil after rebuild, DOH!), T500 (didnt handle, didn't care, 2-stroke smoke - EPIC!), 883 Sportster (oh dear, mistake), 1340 Lowrider Covertible (stolen before a year old), Daytona 1200 (heavy, 147BHP mad lump), DR350 (reliable small thumper), CRF1000 (love it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 01:20 PM

Bike looks great.cant wait to get mine in January.was it Dublin Honda u bought.if so what are they lik to deal with.hv u ever travelled up to Carrick on Shannon in co Roscommon.great cafe up there.plenty of bikers.even winter there is always a few.headjng there tomorrow hope its nice day.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No, Bikeworld, they had two in stock at the time and were easy to deal with. Get extras from UK if you want Honda bits. My planners were ?200 cheaper with the Brexit !

Not been up that neck of the woods on the bike, I'll stick it on the list. Not long for you to wait.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 04:21 PM

Had thought of buying new AT in U.K.didnt try to figure out what I cld save.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 04:26 PM

Did u buy the Honda top box too?are they good quality.i c a lot complain about the heated grips and spokes.hear tyres are crap in wet.did u change.had u any trouble with bike.hv to say it looks great with spots on and scenery in background.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Didn't buy topbox, wasnt keen on the look, next purchase is probably a rugged roads rear rack for softloads.Then for shorter runs I can rely on that and the front 8L engine bar bags and dispense with panniers.

I put my own heated grips on so can't comment on the Honda ones,they seemed to have been poor initially but many are reporting a fix from Honda. My purchase was based on price though, heated grips from Honda were too expensive. I have no probem with tyres or spokes, many have though.

If you want a new AT you will have to buy in Ireland. No way around the purchase price of the bike. If you buy new in UK you will pay import duty and pay UK and Irish VAT, it will end up much dearer. Only consider buying 2nd hand bikes in the UK that way you only pay the import tax (or VRT if you like). Accessories, from Honda or anyone are often cheaper though elsewhere, especially UK with the drop in sterling. I would of liked to have supported my local dealer by buying my panniers here but even paying full UK price it still saved me over two hundred euros. Hondas price here was inflexible, that was the price, that was it so I decided not to pay it. I think Triumph Ireland are commiting to customers on making sure there is no premium to pay by buying locally, something other manufacturers should take heed of perhaps.

250X7 (first bike 17 years old, T-Boned it in 3 weeks), CB250K4 (needed wheels), CB350K4 (last wheels needed replacing, ran engine without oil after rebuild, DOH!), T500 (didnt handle, didn't care, 2-stroke smoke - EPIC!), 883 Sportster (oh dear, mistake), 1340 Lowrider Covertible (stolen before a year old), Daytona 1200 (heavy, 147BHP mad lump), DR350 (reliable small thumper), CRF1000 (love it)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 10:54 AM

what make of heated grips did u get.do they look well on bike.how much and do they suit bike.if u don't mind me asking where in England did u purchase heated grips and panniers.some are getting Honda panniers and diff brand top box.only saw top box on demo bike and it was crap.are the Honda panniers better?thanks for advice,safe driving.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:15 PM

Looks like a cool damp ride. At least you can still get out there and go for a spin. Looks like lovely country.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
what make of heated grips did u get.do they look well on bike.how much and do they suit bike.if u don't mind me asking where in England did u purchase heated grips and panniers.some are getting Honda panniers and diff brand top box.only saw top box on demo bike and it was crap.are the Honda panniers better?thanks for advice,safe driving.
Rockie, spend a little time on the forum, there is loads of great advice and tips from lots of people on all thing AT, luggage, grips, tyres other accessories and where to buy.

For this neck of the woods lots of people recommend www.ruggedroads.co.uk. If you dont see what you want on their website just ask them, I would say they can get you any Honda oem part as well as the extensive range they stock. For general purposes bike gear try www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk for massive stock and superb service. That is where I got my Oxford grips. Any UK based Honda dealer will sell you pannier sets but www.davidsilverspares.co.uk ship worldwide and are a good source too (they are not a Honda dealer). There are loads of other vendors/suppliers quoted by forum members all with good recomendations, just search the forums for topics you are interested in and you will come across them.

You might look on the forums regarding the Honda panniers, some love them some dislike them, there is so much choice out there you just have to make up your mind as to what you want them for and make a choice yourself. Go with your own gut feelings on stuff, you can go on all day about the miriad of brands of crash bars, luggage etc and debate stuff all day or just go out and buy ones you like and go for a ride.

Take any posts in context regarding equipment, the guys traversing Colorado or the vast expanse of inner Australia have completely different requirements to the likes of us here in Ireland where we are limited in our extreme off road opportunities. "Horses for Courses".

Thats this thread closed now Rockie, I was only intending to post a few pics of my day trip, good luck.

Last edited by eltel62; 12-12-2016 at 05:22 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 02:20 PM

Thanks for tips and advice.yr heated grips section was very good too.
eltel62 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page