Heated grips and fender extenda - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Snowbubble
  • 1 Post By simon penfold

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Heated grips and fender extenda

Fitted the stick on Fenda extender and Oxford heated grips to.
the bike today.
Both fairly straightforward jobs - for the fenda extender as stick on needed to take the front fender off the bike to fit properly, good instructions though so all went well.
The Oxford grips are now fitted directly to the battery and do not need to be on a switched supply as they sense when the bike is not running and switch the grips off. Does make fitting easier and the grips do go to standby after approx 2 mins then switch off if bike is still not running.
Again a pretty straight forward job.
After fitting had to take the bike out to test - only a short run (about an hour) over the Brecon Beacons (in South Wales) - grips really good and only needed at 50% power (external temp at 4 C). Fenda extender also does a great job and stopped much of the muck from the road ending up on the engine and my legs.

Good day all round!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 06:59 PM

Must agree that a£19.99 fender extender is worth every penny I bought a carbon fibre one (not fibre glass or plastic coated) from fleabay looks the biz.
Ride Safe and Often
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:25 PM

Hi Simon,any chance of picture of fender extender and heated grips on bike.how much were grips is there a few types of oxford grips or one specifically for AT?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Hi Rockie
Just picked up on your Question, I will post some photos tomorrow for the extenda and also the grips.
The Oxford grips were the hot grips adventure ones - not specifically for the AT. All fitted OK but did need to trim down the length of the grips a bit, there is plenty of grip with no heating element to do this with no issue.
For the grips wiring fed through under the tank without having to take the tank off - made life much easier.
Cost of the grips was about £50 - kit has everything you need in there and decent fitting instructions.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:05 PM

Awesome, I have a set of Oxford grips sitting at home, Nice Christmas present from my better half. I also ordered a PC8 fuse block, so once the bike comes in and the weather warms up a bit I can get busy.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyberg View Post
Must agree that a£19.99 fender extender is worth every penny I bought a carbon fibre one (not fibre glass or plastic coated) from fleabay looks the biz.
Ride Safe and Often
I got the same one but haven't fitted it yet. Would be a shame to drill it, how did you attach yours

Tri colour Africa Twin / BMW 1050 Siebenrock GS
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:57 PM

If you’re not going to drill it I recommend using VHB High Bond Acrylic Adhesive Double Sided Tape.
It is 1 mm thick and 99p for a sample from eBay. Item number:111682322700 which should be enough to do the job.
I previously used cheap stuff that came with the extension without drilling and it came off.

I have ordered eBay item number:282308763343. Carbon Fibre Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Fender Extender £19.99
dancerdave likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Hi
As promised attached some photos of the Fender Extender and also hot grips.

The Extender as shown comes with sticky pads for fixing it with a diagram to show locations for this on the specific model.
Recommended to leave over night with a clip to help ensure secure fixing.
Seems good so far after a couple of wet ride outs.

Have only shown the fitting of the grips and controller, if you want some more on wire routing let me know and I will look to get some more photos to show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fenda extender 1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	14266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender extender 2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	14274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender extender 3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	14282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hot grips throttle side.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	14290   Click image for larger version

Name:	hot grip non throttle and controller.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	14298  

Snowbubble likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbubble View Post
If you’re not going to drill it I recommend using VHB High Bond Acrylic Adhesive Double Sided Tape.
It is 1 mm thick and 99p for a sample from eBay. Item number:111682322700 which should be enough to do the job.
I previously used cheap stuff that came with the extension without drilling and it came off.

I have ordered eBay item number:282308763343. Carbon Fibre Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Fender Extender £19.99
Many thanks. Ordered some today

Tri colour Africa Twin / BMW 1050 Siebenrock GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page