Mule deer 1 Africa Twin 0 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By pvanryn

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Mule deer 1 Africa Twin 0

Had a nice mountain ride planned today, started out early and the weather was perfect. I was riding about 55 mph along a rural highway with tall grass growing at the side when a mule deer sprang up out of the grass and ran right in front of me.

I don't think I even hit the brakes, it happened so fast. Not sure how big the deer really was, but I can tell you it looked like a horse as I was about to hit. I went down on my right side and slid about 30 feet, at some point I flipped over onto my left side. Don't think I hit my head, my helmet is scraped up, but intact. I was conscious the whole time, and I jumped up immediately and got out of the road when I stopped because I was afraid of being hit by a car.

A Good Samaritan stopped to check on me and help me pick the bike up. I have a minor abrasion on my right forearm and wrist, and that is pretty much it. It amazes me how well these motor clothes worked.

The Twin must've flipped too, there is damage on both sides. Broken headlight lenses, front fender and windshield ripped off, crash bars look like somebody took a grinder to them. The plastics are intact, but have some minor abrasions where the crash bars were pushed into them. The worst damage is the left side engine case which is slowly dripping oil, and the front forks which seem to be slightly askew. Waiting to hear from the insurance company now.

All I can say is wear your gear - I am so glad I had it on today. I thought maybe I could at least have some venison for dinner, but the deer ran off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170616_113255124.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	26233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170616_113119470.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	26241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170616_112953621.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	26249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170616_112133467.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	26257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170616_113036530.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	26265  

crstep likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:44 PM

Garage
Happy to hear you survived mostly unscathed and condolences for your steed.
For sure a cautionary tale about good safety gear.

I'm sure many here are interested in how well your crash bars protected. If you flipped the bike, as you said damage on both sides, that's quite impact that I don't expect any bars to take, but you say the plastic faired well. What do you think punctured the eng case?

I'm no expert but low siding the bike seems preferable to a head on over the bars crash when there is no room to stop.
Promise I'm not being critical, but these are stories for all of us to discuss and learn from. I'm assuming it's okay to ask since you felt well enoug to post.

Fingers crossed for a speedy insurance claim and bruises to heal.

Live to ride
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:13 PM

Glad your OK.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 07:57 PM

Too bad the deer ran off, some fresh backstrap would have helped ease the pain.
What gear were you wearing? Jacket, pants etc..
Thanks for sharing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:01 PM

Glad you and the bike came out of it without too much damage or pain. Must be the season, a friend told me his buddy got hit by a deer last week near town. He got hit in the front and was able to keep the bike up until he pulled over and realized he was hurt more than the bike. And of course the deer ran off.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:21 AM

Glad you are ok. Which crashbars and pannier rack are you using?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niterunnr View Post
I'm sure many here are interested in how well your crash bars protected. If you flipped the bike, as you said damage on both sides, that's quite impact that I don't expect any bars to take, but you say the plastic faired well. What do you think punctured the eng case?
Thanks for all of the kind thoughts. I am doing ok, just some generalized soreness and slight road rash on my right forearm. Hoping to hear from the insurance company this week.

My crash bars are Hepco Becker, I am posting a few more pics to show the damage. The plastic fared pretty well, but the front cowl is broken just below the headlight along with the headlight lens. The headlights still work. I looked online to guesstimate replacement cost and the headlight must be replaced as an entire assembly - $1,107 are you kidding me?!

Still not sure where the oil is leaking from, don't see any obvious punctures or cracks. Bike does not leak while on the centerstand, only when laid over on the sidestand. I was pretty bummed out by the whole thing and didn't feel like crawling around under the bike but maybe I'll throw some talc under there today and see if I can spot it.

Mudslingr - I was wearing an Alpinestars Valparaiso jacket, Cortech Sequoia pants, and Joe Rocket gloves. Really liked that jacket, and it did its job during the crash, I will probably buy another one. The pants are reusable, but scuffed pretty good on the right leg.

Bhart - I have Tusk pannier racks which were not damaged at all, the Nelson - Rigg soft bag on the right side took all of the damage.

Spent yesterday wondering if I should still be riding or not, but I'm past it now. Anxious for the insurance to pay out so I can get rolling again.

Ride safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170619_093409561.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	26513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170619_093348938.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	26521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170619_093403236.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	26529  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:53 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience and the pics. Sorry to hear about your run in with the deer and glad you're OTW to recovery and riding.

How much do you reckon the insurance will payout, what would it cover and is it an easy process to claim? Most of my friends put cams on their bikes or cars nowadays partly due to issues and difficulties with insurance claims. Having a video speak for itself does help alleviate any further grief that comes along with the incident/accident. I once had a rookie driver bump me from behind at a junction and luckily I had a rear cam as he tried to turn around and blame me for sudden braking (I was stationary then).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page