WARNING to DCT riders: DO NOT ride if you have sticky left switchgear - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 136Likes

post #11 of 207 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4MST3R View Post
Honda UK don't seem to want to take me seriously, so until they do I'll carry on being interviewed by MCN and will spread my experience far and wide
Don't you have a government agency you can report the incident to? In the US we have the NHTSA, which decides what measures to take, recalls etc.

2016 Tricolor DCT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 207 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 08:16 AM

Really sorry to hear about that S4MST3R - a major disappointment and a major safety problem.

Sadly I picked my DCT up this morning and didn't see this otherwise I would have had serious reservations about going ahead. But now I'm in the same quagmire as you - albeit not having had the buttock-clenching moments (yet).

What a shame - this is precisely why I didn't go for a BMW... And I have a suspicion that Honda after-sales won't be quite as responsive as BMW after-sales...

Good luck with getting it sorted - one way or another - and please let us know how you get on.
post #13 of 207 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 11:05 AM

That's a terrifying situation you found yourself in and one that gives me the fear.... Glad you got away with it.
I'll admit I have an over active imagination and I don't wish to scaremonger, but if that had happened in some other situation, at speed or mid bend... it could have been potentially life changinglly bad.
How about off road, with a drop..... etc, etc. I'm getting slightly carried away but I'm seriously questioning the faith I had in the new tech and wondering if I could relax knowing about this situation.
We know there are always mechanical failure risks on a bike but not having the ability to physically disengage the motor is a bit of a worry.
I guess well have to see if anything else gets reported and look at the odds but I am now having doubts about my choice of DCT over Manual.

post #14 of 207 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardyweirdy View Post
That's a terrifying situation you found yourself in and one that gives me the fear.... Glad you got away with it.
I'll admit I have an over active imagination and I don't wish to scaremonger, but if that had happened in some other situation, at speed or mid bend... it could have been potentially life changinglly bad.
How about off road, with a drop..... etc, etc. I'm getting slightly carried away but I'm seriously questioning the faith I had in the new tech and wondering if I could relax knowing about this situation.
We know there are always mechanical failure risks on a bike but not having the ability to physically disengage the motor is a bit of a worry.
I guess well have to see if anything else gets reported and look at the odds but I am now having doubts about my choice of DCT over Manual.
I'm happy the OP is fine and sorry to hear that the DCT isn't working out like it says on the box... But it's a far cry from a consistent problem which is being reported by everyone. And I'm not sure if this single post is enough to put doubt on my mind as it has on you it seems.
DCT isn't exactly new technology, has it had been in other bikes in previous years.
Of course, as a buyer of DCT myself, I am hoping it is one off, which remains to be seen.
Honda has always proven to be reliable, so if there is any problem within the warranty period, I'm sure they will fix it.
post #15 of 207 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 12:21 PM

"plus they gave me back the ludicrous amount of throttle free play"
... did they adjust the throttle cable? I remember my throttle cable sticking open on my X7 when I was just a teenager. That was a lot of fun. With 6" of snow on the ground!
post #16 of 207 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 12:41 PM

You maybe right Washryc, it's not that new and it's only one incident. Same could happen with any other part of a bike I guess... Just that it's new to me and probably most on here and I find it takes me a while to catch up with tech changing. I still ride with two fingers covering the clutch from starting on two strokes, old habits and all that..... I'll see how it goes and not do anything rash.
post #17 of 207 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

It is a brand new generation of DCT though (3rd gen?). But DCT has been around for 6 years on a production Honda, and has proven incredibly robust

Little update:

Honda Assist arrived at lunchtime - and then left again as the vehicle they sent wasn't capable of carrying the AT. Haha - you couldn't make it up! Bigger truck came a couple of hours later and just before loading it I started the bike up. Interestingly it wouldn't engage drive and wouldn't show neutral on the gear indicator (green N light was displayed on the side segment)

It seems to have gone into some sort of failsafe mode and just had a flashing "-" where it would normally show, "N"

None the wiser yet as to what happened yesterday, but it's now at the dealers and am expecting a new left hand switch set to be fitted on Monday morning. I really need them to conduct a thorough test as my confidence in what was becoming a brilliant machine, up until it went wild on me, has taken a bit of a knock :-)

Honda have called me a few times wanting details and have committed to working closely and supporting the dealer in investigating what went on

Thanks for finding that post marekm. That's the first I've seen of anybody else having any form of DCT trouble. I've been riding it in the wet since I picked it up, including through some pretty big floods on Wednesday. I did a lot of research before deciding on the DCT over the manual, and it's still the version that fits my needs

post #18 of 207 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 01:37 PM

Guessing here but once water gets into electronic circuits and connections it can be totally unpredictable. Especially as the switches on the left side control both TC and the gear changing. What's a little more mystifying is the revving of the engine but as that's no doubt handled via the same CPU it might just be all the confusing signals from the left control that are outside normal parameters and then all bets are off... Or that the right unit has problems!! Strange that Honda didn't test this too well - or maybe production units differ slightly from test units.

There was another owner who reported a startup issue on this forum - it crunched slightly and then wouldn't engage a gear until it was restarted. So maybe the various manifestations are out there.

So Honda has a problem - well, we DCT owners have a problem anyway. Not only will we not trust the bikes but we won't be able to flog 'em! Who'll buy one if this starts happening more often?

Given that even the manual units are getting switchgear problems the owners of those bikes might want to lean less on the TC...

B*gger.
post #19 of 207 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 02:00 PM

Glad you are ok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4MST3R View Post
It seems to have gone into some sort of failsafe mode and just had a flashing "-" where it would normally show, "N"
This is mentioned in the owners manual, page 134. See attachment.

What about your service, did they do something to the switchgear? At least they must have opened it, if they found water inside. Maybe they did something wrong when they put it back together? Cable under the screw? This is just a speculation...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	at_failsafe.jpg
Views:	4090
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	2361  
post #20 of 207 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 02:13 PM

Sounds like a nightmare. One thing I can't get my head around is why it revved open with a manual throttle. I could understand if it was a fly by wire, anyhow I'll be taking it easy in the wet from now on, only done 100 miles so far so good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page