WARNING to DCT riders: DO NOT ride if you have sticky left switchgear - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 131Likes

post #21 of 206 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yeah I couldn't figure that throttle but out either tbh.
Now I'm wondering IF this is something we can control, by making the switches more water tight than when it left the factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 206 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 02:45 PM

My hand muffs are on order as I write this! Lol.
post #23 of 206 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 03:05 PM

Well, glad no physical harm was done to the OP, apart from new undies and valium.

I think (hope) this is going to be a one off situation. the clue for me is the
free play in the throttle, something not right there.

I would guess that water in the switchgear caused gearbox glitch, and human error in servicing combined to produce the buckeroo effect.

All i can say is hope it get sorted and the root cause of the issue is found.

I shall be making a mental note to myself to hit the kill switch if I experience anything like that.
Diamondgeezer and rusty like this.

post #24 of 206 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 03:14 PM

Now I'm wondering IF this is something we can control, by making the switches more water tight than when it left the factory.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I used ACF50 spray and Corrosion Block grease on all switch gear internals as soon as I got home, should not have any problems with water in the switch gear, I also removed the block connectors from the REG/REC PGM-FI UNIT and various connections just behind the rear shock and used Corrosion block waterproof grease, these seem to be very exposed to all the crud!bloody stupid place to put em!!
tjjj2006 likes this.
post #25 of 206 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 03:50 PM

This little note alone disqualifies the new AT as a "True Adventure" bike

They may have just as well written.

"If the "-" indicator is blinking immediately stop your bike, park it in a safe place, walk to the nearest Starbucks / McDonalds and wait for your Honda dealer to arrive. You will be able to resume your adventure ride as soon as we have......."

The only question which remains:

Should we laugh or cry ?

Resigned from purchase in 2016.
post #26 of 206 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
[B][B]Now I'm wondering IF this is something we can control, by making the switches more water tight than when it left the factory.

Yes, I used ACF50 spray and Corrosion Block grease on all switch gear internals as soon as I got home, should not have any problems with water in the switch gear, I also removed the block connectors from the REG/REC PGM-FI UNIT and various connections just behind the rear shock and used Corrosion block waterproof grease, these seem to be very exposed to all the crud!bloody stupid place to put em!!
Could you explain what you did? I have never had to "water proof" my bikes...
Having come from riding only make sports, classics and thumpers, I rarely ride in the rain, or try not to as much as I can...

You open up the switchgear unit and spray on all contact points? And grease the contact points as well?
Diamondgeezer likes this.
post #27 of 206 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 04:25 PM

No sense in going to Island on the new AT

Resigned from purchase in 2016.
post #28 of 206 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 05:28 PM

Yes - basically, until proven otherwise, we should have bought a different bike. What a shame - and how unlike Honda.

I know a lot of people are saying this might have been an isolated incidence but let's be honest - it's currently a small sample size and a bike has proved to be dangerous. What other conclusion can you draw other than Honda have dropped the ball big time? I'm naffed off - I have to buy another bike I can rely on and I now can't sell the one I have. I hate to say this but maybe I should have bought the BMW after all.

Strange how reality can bite - I thought I had bought a bike I can rely on... Now I'm not entirely sure I want to ride the bike I have in the garage with 24 miles on the clock! B*llocks.
Diamondgeezer likes this.
post #29 of 206 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yromulus View Post
Yes - basically, until proven otherwise, we should have bought a different bike. What a shame - and how unlike Honda.

I know a lot of people are saying this might have been an isolated incidence but let's be honest - it's currently a small sample size and a bike has proved to be dangerous. What other conclusion can you draw other than Honda have dropped the ball big time? I'm naffed off - I have to buy another bike I can rely on and I now can't sell the one I have. I hate to say this but maybe I should have bought the BMW after all.

Strange how reality can bite - I thought I had bought a bike I can rely on... Now I'm not entirely sure I want to ride the bike I have in the garage with 24 miles on the clock! B*llocks.

Calm down dear, do you mean the BMW that killed Kevin Ash on its launch.

If I understand you correctly, you dont have a problem with your bike, but want to sell it allready.
True Ad Venture and Lowcruzr like this.
post #30 of 206 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washryc View Post
Could you explain what you did? I have never had to "water proof" my bikes...
Having come from riding only make sports, classics and thumpers, I rarely ride in the rain, or try not to as much as I can...

You open up the switchgear unit and spray on all contact points? And grease the contact points as well?
Yes thats what I always do,it helps stop any corrosion inside the switches and keeps em smooth.. Basically I pull any exposed connectors and apply some waterproof grease to help seal out any moisture.Its preventative maintenance really.
Petey likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page