Crack on! - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Crack on!

Dont want to sound too jeremy Clarkson here but as much as there is great advise on this forum (and there is a LOT of great advice and help) you cant beat a bit of practice in any shape or form compared to discussion about farkles.
Honestly, you'll get the best out of the bike by riding it ........ put yourself out of your comfort zone and you will be amazed what you can do. Dont get hung up on the latest must have (thats shot me for a job at touratech)...... just ride the bike.
Ive dropped the bike (without any crash protection) a few times and the only limiting factor. .......... was me.
Youve got the machine (any machine for that matter) so get out there and youll be grinning from ear to ear ..... and likely dripping in sweat after you've picked it up a few times.
bart de mare and Hinch like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 05:16 PM

Dropping the bike is fine, happens to the best of us but crash protection does limit the amount of damage done to the body. Nothing wrong with a bit of protection and I do agree with you that riding and getting comfortable with the AT is one of the best advice.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Dont get me wrong, im all for the crash protection. ..... replacement cost of Honda pannels is eye watering and justifies it alone.
Just waiting to see the fallout of the discussions on the best choice for me.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 05:54 AM

Well from experience.....yes I've dropped the bike on both sides.....bars to protect the panels but more importantly the radiators....and bars or a bash plate wide enough to protect the sides of the engine.

I had a good look at what Honda offer and decided that the Tourtech solution was the better way to go.

You also need to look at replacing the mirrors and get used to replacing the plastic hand guards or just leave them off altogether. And leave the back foot pegs on as they save a lot of damage at the rear.

Ohhhh .... and learn to pick up the bike by yourself.....I found a nice grassy field and did it a few times. Was invaluable for a small guy like me at 170 cms tall and 70 kgs!!

Last edited by AussieTwin; 06-20-2016 at 05:56 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTwin View Post

I had a good look at what Honda offer and decided that the Tourtech solution was the better way to go.
If TT had any of the danm things! I am finding it impossible to get _any_ protection for my bike at the moment.

What was the prefered pickup technique?

JasonWD.com - Silver DCT No.000011 -Complete Trans America Trail '16. Check the blog.
Please add your location to your stats!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

I hear what what your saying on picking it up. Similar size and build and it's enough when your fresh but took all my strength after a couple of falls on the muddy track at horizons unlimited over the weekend. ... absolutely fecked i was ......... but loved it all the same :-)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWD View Post
If TT had any of the danm things! I am finding it impossible to get _any_ protection for my bike at the moment.

What was the prefered pickup technique?
Tried the two major methods....turning the bars to full lock and then lifting using the bars but being very mindful on keeping my back straight.

Second was to turn my back to the bike and then use my legs to push the bike up....you just need to be careful not to push the bike up and over onto the other side....ie put the side stand down.

Both worked well....but I couldn't do it more than twice with out a break....I'm lifting almost three times my own weight....

I brought a BMW GS training video and found this really helpful....especially stopping on hills etc Title is: BMW GS Off-Road by Noren Films....got this from Tourtech.

Last edited by AussieTwin; 06-20-2016 at 04:53 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenat View Post
Dont want to sound too jeremy Clarkson here but as much as there is great advise on this forum (and there is a LOT of great advice and help) you cant beat a bit of practice in any shape or form compared to discussion about farkles.
Honestly, you'll get the best out of the bike by riding it ........ put yourself out of your comfort zone and you will be amazed what you can do. Dont get hung up on the latest must have (thats shot me for a job at touratech)...... just ride the bike.
Ive dropped the bike (without any crash protection) a few times and the only limiting factor. .......... was me.
Youve got the machine (any machine for that matter) so get out there and youll be grinning from ear to ear ..... and likely dripping in sweat after you've picked it up a few times.
It's probably dangerous to assume that farklers do not 'ride the bike' as well. I have put 40k miles on 3 NC750's in 3 years and I ride all through the UK winters. But I love farkling too. The farkles don't make me grin from ear to ear but they get me humming to myself when they work. It adds a whole extra dimension to 'just riding the bike'.
Mike
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 02:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullThrottle View Post
Dropping the bike is fine, .

Sorry, but I totally disagree. I absolutely hate dropping any bike, even offroad. I raced Enduro in the clubman class for years in the 80's and even at that game dropping the bike pissed me off. I always try to achieve the best technique to ride as quickly as possible and stay on the bike. In the enduro game dropping a bike loses one time. There was one chap who rode in my day, and he was streets quicker than anyone else. However we frequently came across him in a ditch somewhere with the bike on top of him. We would always check that he was ok but he was a classic example of "dropping the bike is not OK".

There are plenty of youtube vids and courses out there which will help one not to drop a bike. Even at 65 I am still prepared to learn from them and stay upright. My advice, pick up on these vids and courses and learn how best to keep your very expensive bike off the deck offroad or on.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 02:41 PM

Don't ride to your limits keep a little in reserve, I can't bring myself to take my AT off road yet, I've get a couple of other bikes to do that.
I did find today riding roads from hemesly to stokesly that I've ridden on the Bmw I ride the twin a bit slower

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page