Real World Tank Range / MPG(UK) Scrutiny in first 7,500 Miles
I originally dismissed even considering the AT, when I saw the tank only held 18.5/19 Litres. However, I'm glad I got one as I love it and, as a sporty rider who's gentle on the throttle, I'm happy with averaging 55 MPG (UK), as this gives me a Range of 230 miles (370k). However, it's a big drop on my GSA (45MPG, whatever), when it comes to Autobahn / Pannier cruising at 85+ (95-100 on Speedo), when my AT will only return 40MPG (R. 170 miles):-
I've closely monitored my MPG (UK Gal) over my first 7,500K (miles). It includes 2k to NW Scotland and 4K to S. Tyrol/W. Alps/ Stella Alpina.
NB1; My riding is quicker than average (but not racing); I maintain speed rather than using the gas (i.e. fast corners/slow straights) and I barely accelerate from junctions (but let the bike get there in its own time).
NB2: I ran OEM Tyres (until TKC70s at 6k).
NB3 - I fill my tank to the brim.
NB4 - When my AT's Computer switches to Reserve, I've at least a UK Gallon (4.5L) left. [I've filled up 19.5 L (when still some fuel in the tank); When my AT's computer says Empty, there's still at least another L; I've covered 12-15 miles at 70MPH (with Panniers) after 'Empty'.]
Unlike my GSA, the AT fluctuates wildly, depending on ride/weight/speed:-
1. Average Easy (on throttle) riding on A/B Roads : 50-55MPG (Range: 210-230 Miles)
2. General easy/slowish riding at 55-ish on A/B Roads: 58MPG (Range: 250M/400K);
3. on very Slow/Gentle Riding [e.g. (a) 2/3rd Gear on Lochinver Loop - single lane tight/twist/hilly) and (b) 212 miles at 40ish + via Stelvio/Gavia) I got 212 miles on only 12.5 litres = 76MPG (R. 500km!);
4. M-Way speed of 70MPH(True) (with 30L pack on rear seat) will give you about 50MPG (R. 210).
5. Autobahn (with OEM Panniers) at 95ish(Ind)/85ish (True): 40MPG (R. 170)
In conclusion, your riding style will determine an MPG range between sub-40MPG and 70MPG+. If you ride at a slow/steady 30-50MPH you'll stretch to 65-75MPG; depending on how hard you ride on A/B roads, you'll average 45-65MPG. With panniers at Autobahn speeds you could drop below.
Does it have 'Adventure Bike' Range?
A. YES: On the basis of Ted Simon's recommended steady 55MPH, you'll get Honda's Claimed Max. of 250M/400K.
B. NO: If you're heavy on the throttle / race it, you'll only have a Range of 150-170 miles.
Hope that helps.