Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Starting problems

57K views 68 replies 35 participants last post by  DoubleThumper 
#1 ·
My Afi seems to have lost the cold start set up ?

it wont start without opening the throttle and some times wont start for ages from cold

my dealer has scanned the sensors and cant find anything wrong but acknowledges there is a problem with my bike as he has had issues starting the bike and has asked me to book it in for a through check and he will try to find the problem. it pops and hisses when it does start but runs okay when warm

has anyone else had a problem and what was the cure

I know how to start a modern bike up so it is not me

#3 · (Edited)
No not at all

(its not a DCT)

it starts then stops after about 2 seconds just cuts out, checked all the usual bits like a sticking stand switch or a sticking clutch switch , and tried the spare key as well in case the key had become corrupted , checked for a blocked fuel cap breather

it will start but I have to give it loads of throttle to get it to start and keep running and it pops and bangs while getting to running temp , I've had loads of bikes and do all my own maintenance on my older bikes once out of warranty ! shims coolant fluids etc. its like the throttle body or throttle position sensor has gone out of balance , but dealer has checked the sensors , will take it back again but just wondered if anyone had had a similar issue just to tell the dealer if they had cured it. when it warm it runs lovely but fuel consumption has gone down to 50 , that makes me think its a fuelling issue.

love the bike but just want it sorting

#7 ·
I had no issues at all until I attempted to start it last Thursday morning

done nothin added nothing changed nothing

love the bike its brill

but want to find out what the issue is

just hoped some one has had a similar issue and sorted it

dealer is to have another look this Thursday (if it starts) when I run it over to him

#8 ·
My dealer tells me its been diagnosed as a temperature sensor , they have put in a warranty claim (on a 21 day old bike mmmmmm) as soon as that's authorized and if the part is stocked in the uk I will get it back

hopefully its sorted (just the grips to sort out and I will be a happy biker . com)

#10 ·
Yes exactly like that ?

my dealer tells me they are still waiting for Honda to authorize the warranty claim , its taken Honda five days so far and I am still waiting, starting to get p******d off now as this is unacceptably poor service for a 21 day old bike with only 700 odd miles on the clock to be off the road for a week for a small item like a sensor.

come on Honda this is crap service

#11 ·
Had a call from Honda today to say they are aware of a issue regarding cold starting

But they would not say how much longer my bike will be off the road awaiting authorization and or delivery of the part.

they also said they are aware of a issue regarding the heated grips and assured me that this will be sorted / replaced once japan have decided what they are going to do

Its Taking too long to replace a simple sensor ??

#12 ·
It's not great to wait as long as you have just to get the OK for a new sensor.

I suppose they might not be sure it is just the sensor so it could turn into the "mechanic's run-around" where they keep replacing everything until it appears to work. The difference here is that Honda has to pay for it rather than you and so they are perhaps applying their own glacial approach to the process. That certainly appears to be what is happening with S4MST3R's bike that had the DCT problems and with the heated grips.

Slowly-slowly and all that might be the best way but I imagine it's really annoying as a customer waiting to get your bike working properly. I hope it gets sorted soon for you. And I also hope it doesn't start affecting too many others.

#14 ·
Finally (8 days later) got the warranty claim for the faults on my AFI approved ! parts ordered should be here next Tuesday so fingers crossed collect next Wednesday , 12 days to replace a faulty sensor ???

not good Mr. Honda Not Good at all . love the bike but not your service

#17 · (Edited)
IVE Put in here and the Tech bit

they have replaced the Air temp sensor and the tilt angle sensor

the first sign of things happening now I think about it was increased fuel consumption and the odd cut out on closing the throttle then cutting out on cold start up

finished on this subject I hope after tue/wed

#20 ·
Perhaps unrelated but I've never owned a bike that smelled of petrol as much as the Honda. I park it in a garage that is reasonably well ventilated and cover it but there is still a distinct petrol smell - but no apparent leaks. It's not garage-forecourt levels - just a subtle smell - "eau de petroleum" if you like.

I'm sure it's a breather somewhere or something but it seems worse than the last bike I had (2004 R1).

Is this normal or do I need to get it checked out?

It also doesn't start as quickly as other bikes I've had - goes first time but after a longer turning-over period. Previous bikes just fired up almost instantaneously. Might just be emissions etc. as the other half's car is similar.

#26 ·
xsilvergs

have you had you baby sorted yet ?

my afi is still not right its still popping on the over run and seems to loose its settings then gets them back again , its a pity as its a great bike when its running okay

I will give my dealer 2 more attempts to sort it out then it will have to go as I just cant have a unreliable bike with the miles I do every year

#28 ·
So after 6900 miles my AT has started having problems with cold starting. Sometimes it fires and then dies, other times it cranks for 5 seconds and will only fire with the throttle wide open. I have been in contact with the dealer who says that the ignition / start switch on the handlebar may need to be replaced under warranty, but Honda won't authorise this until the dealer has had the bike in to do other checks as well such as the HT leads and spark plug gaps. The dealer is going to contact Honda and revert back to me.

#29 ·
try using just kill/start switch to stop engine in meantime, it seems to solve the problem temporarily

mine went into dealer and switch was cleaned and it's been ok since but its definitely the switch.

i expect it to go again and then be replaced under warranty but th

#31 ·
So the dealer has had by AT for a day. They checked the spark plug gaps, the ignition coil wiring and the MAP sensor hose for kinks. Once these have been ruled out as causing problems, then Honda will authorise a replacement starter / kill switch. This will be done next week. The dealer mentioned that so far they have had to replace 6 of these switches.

#34 ·
Hey guys I just broke 13,000 miles, and mine too has started doing it.... I press the switch and it turns over but doesnt fire, then out of nowhere it will fire up quickly then die just as quickly. It only seems to keep running if I crack open the throttle when it does fire.... After it successfully starts I have NO issues, runs smooth and responsive. I still get the spit sputter under decel like everyone else though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.