Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Africa Twin wins Bike of the Year 2016

10K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Robert Mar 
#1 ·
See less See more
#6 ·
Road Runner 2016 December edition

British 'Bike' magazine, a very well respected and long standing publication has awarded the CRF1000 Africa Twin Bike of the Year for 2016
It also got the same title in December Road Runner Magazine :wink2:

Attachments

#7 ·
I just don't get it. Honda take a few professional race riders and puts them through their paces in non technical open tracks of desert to through up some dirt and make a media splash. Like the Yamaha's Tenere, Triumph's Explorer and even the Honda's XR650L aptly named the "big red pig" has no business in the dirt. As the saying goes a few very capable expert riders can make anything look good. Who needs another massively heavy adventure bike trying to act like a dirt bike, like the R1200 BMW GS Adventure or the new Mega expensive Multistrada.

The Africa Twin failed horribly every road test I read, lacks power, handling, performance, just like the other Kawasaki Versys 1000 "bike of the Year" I rode one, horrible snappy throttle, whiplash cruise control engagement that puts a knot in your lower spine, worse than the Honda Gl1800, owned 2, if Honda can't build a silky smooth cruse control at least copy BMW or Indian.

Like we say there is a butt for every bike, as for us, Honda Africa Twin is another marketing flop, that doesn't stand up to the name, hasn't made one single production goal, doesn't deliver to the consumer market as promised in form/function/production market delivery schedule. Like the much hyped and anticipated Kawasaki Versys 650, it wasn't remotely versatile, was a dismal failure of engineering and a total dog on the road.

I just crossed America twice this summer on a 250cc 2004 Honda Helix, true to it's heritage one of the best products Honda ever produced. It's time for motorcycle manufacturer to get a grip on more horsepower doesn't equal better motorcycling, better suspension should come in the bike, not out of the box from aftermarket suppliers, ergonomics, quality seats worth sitting on should come standard.

We have enough heavy as **** Adventure Bikes trying to play dirt bike, what we need is something along the lines of a Paris Dakar 450cc that can kick ass off road and take names on road, carry a load for solo bike Adventure Riders and keep up with the 650, decent crash protection right out of the box, real skid plates, crash bars upper and lower, durable luggage options.

#8 ·
A lot of what you say might carry some weight.
Scrolling through this forum will reveal many, many owners smiling from ear to ear with a product that provides lots of enjoyment to everyday riders. I know some have experienced some bugs, but apparently these are being attended to.
People who are no longer in need of a Fireblade or a ripping real world scrambler probably find a great partner in the AT.

Mine will still be ordered in 2017 when the DCT becomes available here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.