Africa Twin May Be Updated Next Year - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 41Likes

post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Africa Twin News View Post

VisorDown’s sources at Honda are saying that the CRF1000L will be getting a few minor updates for 2017.

Maybe Honda has finally taken notice of the few gripes some riders have with the Africa Twin and they plan to fix a few of them for 2017. Right now, we only know that a new set of stainless steel wheel spokes may be introduced next year because current AT owners have been reporting corrosion problems and they’re finding it difficult to keep them clean. Another rumored update is the cruise control which could come standard.

If they took a look at our AT dislikes thread, Honda would find much they can improve on for the next model year. Maybe change out the readout display so that it no longer uses negative LCD or look into the false neutrals that members seem to be experiencing, sometimes even regularly.

Honda has not officially confirmed these rumors yet but maybe they’ll give us a hint at the upcoming Intermot bike show. What other little bugs are you hoping Honda will fix next year?
Hi all,
I'm new to this, not just this forum but forums in general.

Saying we will see a new model A Twin next year but do we know what month that might be? Do Honda follow any kind of pattern for updates?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADFORTHEHORIZON View Post
Hi all,
I'm new to this, not just this forum but forums in general.

Saying we will see a new model A Twin next year but do we know what month that might be? Do Honda follow any kind of pattern for updates?
The report cited is about possible changes to the 2017 model year Africa Twin, not a new model of Africa Twin. Manufacturers can make changes in specifications and equipment at any time. Especially for safety reasons. Minor changes are often instituted at the change over to the new model year, which can be any time, but is usually in the last quarter of the prior calendar year (2016 in this case). That allows them to use up parts ordered for the prior year and acquire parts for the new year. Model year changes are also marked by VIN changes, which accounts for why the service and parts people verify the VIN on your motorcycle or car before taking action.

Even if Honda has a standard procedure for making changes, it can be affected by a lot of internal and external factors. Which, if you continue reading on the forum, you will learn may include nuclear reactor events and hurricanes.
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 10:38 AM

Wouldn't that be great if Honda added two pick-up points at the front of the upper frame (under the steering pivot) so that accessory makers could design a decent upper crashbar. So far, all I can suspect is a bunch of designers scratching their head wondering how they will make it work ;-)

And gold rims for the North American market please.

What about losing a few lbs while you're there? ;-)

1988 RD03 Africa twin
1996 RD07a Africa Twin

https://www.facebook.com/Massive-Ride-1153740581384956/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1153795721379442

post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 01:34 AM

From what I've heard, along with some random readings, I think we may have an "Adventure" version with things like CC, bigger tank and more guards. Of course it will cost more to swing over people who just WANT to spend money without the need to.

Don't threaten me with a good time!
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 04:40 PM

I think the comment stands...buy a different 'bike of which Honda have plenty with DCT.
After all it is the Iconic ADVENTURE 'bike...OFF ROAD...and Honda have valid reasons for spoked heels and tubes...as any ADVENTURE rider knows and appreciates..:-)
eltel62 and ppallud like this.
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 05:29 PM

Greetings AT riders.

Just a wannabe AT owner here in the States. Retired my '05 FJR1300 and started riding trails with the '07 KLR650. Absolutely love adventure riding and am hoping to take the plunge after finishing my PhD next summer.

I was thinking of buying a leftover, but if they are going to add Cruise Control! I'd consider the plunge for the '17!!!

Looking forward to catching up on everyone's experiences.

Peace
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 06:38 PM

My wishlist after 5k km really is:
- move "-" (minus) knob of DCT control (handbar) way further from the turn-signal switch to prevent downshift DCT accidentally instead of blinker cancel. This should be made in other way as smart as the parking brake lever far-to-far to reach mistakenly
- use lower light source of the heated grips indicator not to blind the rider in the night with this green dominating light, i used 5 or 6 layers of scotch tape to dimmer this light
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:24 AM

Does anyone have any information on whether Honda are going to release the Adventure Sport Concept as a more extreme version of the Twin? I'm in the middle of planning a trip down Africa and would be good to know before I commit to an Africa Twin!
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arek Kocemba View Post
My wishlist after 5k km really is:
- move "-" (minus) knob of DCT control (handbar) way further from the turn-signal switch to prevent downshift DCT accidentally instead of blinker cancel. This should be made in other way as smart as the parking brake lever far-to-far to reach mistakenly
- use lower light source of the heated grips indicator not to blind the rider in the night with this green dominating light, i used 5 or 6 layers of scotch tape to dimmer this light
Got the same problem on my NC750X but a dab of black touch-up paint has solved the problem - the display in the instruments is fine so you don't need the light on the bars. Paint is easily scraped off with a fingernail if the next owner really wants to.
BTW I'm ok with the position of the down paddle but I wosh they had put the D-S toggle switch where the A-M switch is. When I want to overtake and switch to sport mode it's a **** of a reach for my right thumb (or they could have mounted the switch the other way round so you have to reach far over to put it in neutral but not so far to switch between D and S. (I know I can hit the down paddle while in D-mode to overtake, but you find it changing up again too early)
Mike
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 10:30 PM

Anyone know when the 2017's will be coming to the US?

When are they coming to the US?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page