Africa Twin May Be Updated Next Year - Page 6 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 36Likes

post #51 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 02:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by African Twin Mofo View Post
And if your so in discussed.......what are you doing here?

Not sure what you mean by "your so in discussed" ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 02:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
What's the matter with the rear shock?

Gman, ride the bike hard over rough ground and You will soon find out what is wrong with the shock. Not much gear required and no pillion, to get it out of shape.

The shock is adequate for normal road use, but that is about the extent of it.
gman likes this.
post #53 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 02:42 PM

So how did they mess this one up with 7 years of R&D?

Is there a chance that you could use MORE weight on the back, to get into the proper valving zone of the shock?

I'm just wondering why I haven't heard more about this negative aspect.

I'm suspecting because it seems like nearly 80% of guys who want this bike are streeters for some reason (I seriously can't figure this out). The first thing they want to do with the AT is go to cast wheels and tubeless tires? These comments seem totally insane to me.

So 80% of guys aren't even really using the rear suspension...maybe that's the reason for the limited reporting about it's shortcomings.

Well, I ride off-road exclusively, so I can tell you I will be pretty tuned in to what is going on in the back when I finally start riding one. I'm looking forward to putting it through it's paces off-road, even if it means getting an aftermarket shock to make it work.

Just hard to believe that Honda would under-spec by so much.

(same as the 'soft' front suspension complaints from all these street bike guys too...why are they even buying this bike?)
Roman Sem 2 likes this.

post #54 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 03:26 PM

GMAN

we are buying the bike because we want to.

I bought the bike so I can do anything. 100% road or 100% trail, or even a combination of the 2.
Perhaps I'll come across an unexpected situation when thinking my ride was all road and want a bike that will cope.
Perhaps i want a bike to commute on rough UK roads, to see over traffic, to be comfortable, to make me feel good.
Perhaps i want to see where a lane goes.

After 38 years of bikes, mainly road based trail bikes, I like this style of bike.

The suspension on the rear is too soft. Preload almost at max with my 100kg and with a pillion it's very poor. Riding solo its fine for me- just

I've ordered Hyperpro replacement springs for front and rear.

Perhaps for you lightweight off road gods its fine although some on various forums have changed the springs and a very many people have commented on the rear suspension in particular not having enough adjustment for more weight.

I'm happy to discuss and learn things with anyone whatever the reason they are buying the bike.

CZ 360, DT175, xt600, fzr600, r1100gs, r1150r, drz400, f800gs, r1200gs, r1200gsLC, CRF1000L
post #55 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogAT View Post
The 2017 Apple Candy version can be viewed at :

motoviajeros.net/honda-presenta-las-nuevas-x-adv-africa-twin-2017
So no Tri-Color for us USA peeps? Me sad!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #56 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 04:29 PM

DOUG

Welp, sounds roundly unsuitable then.

Is it fair to say almost any bike requires aftermarket suspension if you are an advanced rider?

It seems this might be the case in the modern era.

Quite sad that it's so undersprung in it's stock form.

Quite like the off-road world too for our bikes. Even though as you say, being mainly inhabited by deities etc., you'd think our abilities could compensate for any technical shortcomings.

Please let us know when you've found this particular bike though, I've been looking for it my whole life!: 'I bought the bike so I can do anything. 100% road or 100% trail, or even a combination of the 2'

Last edited by gman; 11-10-2016 at 04:50 PM. Reason: add comments
post #57 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 05:17 PM

My point was people can ride what they want, how they want.
Why judge and criticise people who choose a particular style of bike for whatever reason.
As you say, "when you finally start riding one", you may have some positive input to share.

The Africa twin, despite a few minor niggles, is perhaps nearly the perfect bike for me and my uses and preferences. It will almost do anything and certainly more than my capabilities.

A few upgrades and additions only improve the package and make it more personal.

Or maybe the original BMW R80 GS.

CZ 360, DT175, xt600, fzr600, r1100gs, r1150r, drz400, f800gs, r1200gs, r1200gsLC, CRF1000L
post #58 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 02:58 AM

Judging and criticizing.

I need to stop posting here and just read the comments passively.

I participate in countless motorcycling forums, but this one is the most inflammatory and divisive by far.

A lot of people have a boundless and very personal passion for the Africa Twin.

It represents true freedom and adventure for so many of us.

I'm not sure why so many of us have been waiting for this niche bike.

You know what will come next for this platform?

One of these, just imagine:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #59 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 12:12 PM

Looks like Canada is getting the Tricolour in standard and DCT for 2017!

I can't post links yet, apparently, but check Honda Motorcycle Canada's website!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	africa-twin-colours.png
Views:	380
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	10922  

Last edited by Roman Auriti; 11-18-2016 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Privacy
post #60 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
no bike manufacturer updates a model after one year.
The exception might have been the Suzuki TL1000S which got quite a few changes for the second year 1998 model.

I agree all the same, my new in the crate 2016 red DCT should arrive from Honda Australia some time this week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page