Africa Twin May Be Updated Next Year - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 36Likes

post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Africa Twin May Be Updated Next Year

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sources at Honda are saying that the CRF1000L will be getting a few minor updates for 2017.

Maybe Honda has finally taken notice of the few gripes some riders have with the Africa Twin and they plan to fix a few of them for 2017. Right now, we only know that a new set of stainless steel wheel spokes may be introduced next year because current AT owners have been reporting corrosion problems and they’re finding it difficult to keep them clean. Another rumored update is the cruise control which could come standard.

If they took a look at our
, Honda would find much they can improve on for the next model year. Maybe change out the readout display so that it no longer uses negative LCD or look into the false neutrals that members seem to be experiencing, sometimes even regularly.

Honda has not officially confirmed these rumors yet but maybe they’ll give us a hint at the upcoming Intermot bike show. What other little bugs are you hoping Honda will fix next year?
rider_marc and Time_Traveler like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 09:37 PM

I would like to see an optional tubeless tire option also.
rider_marc likes this.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 01:53 PM

A little off topic, but I'd like to see Honda follow BMW's GS and Triumph's Explorer with ADV ergonomics but road focused equipment based on the existing AT engine and chassis. First, drop the 18/21 inch spoke wheels - fit cast 17's or 17/19" combinations with tubeless tires. Second, road riders don't need and most don't want, long travel suspension or massive ground clearance. Not everyone has a 36" inseam and for those without, being able to support the bike at a standstill with both feet is a big selling feature. Third, set the muffler lower, so saddlebags don't stick out so far from the bike and that their capacity isn't reduced to pathetic levels making room for the silencer. Lane splitting is lawful in much of the world, so facilitating it would be a good thing. A center stand should be standard on road bikes, so put that on the list, as well as a factory installed power outlet up front, and cruise control. Finally, and this is based on reports of existing AT owners improve on the quality and effectiveness of Honda accessories such as heated grips, crash bars, saddlebags, etc. Making a profit is one thing, selling shoddy parts to make a profit is quite another.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming on the garden show; Honda bugs and what to do about them.
rider_marc and Dan like this.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlainBill0 View Post
A little off topic, but I'd like to see Honda follow BMW's GS and Triumph's Explorer with ADV ergonomics but road focused equipment based on the existing AT engine and chassis. First, drop the 18/21 inch spoke wheels - fit cast 17's or 17/19" combinations with tubeless tires. Second, road riders don't need and most don't want, long travel suspension or massive ground clearance. Not everyone has a 36" inseam and for those without, being able to support the bike at a standstill with both feet is a big selling feature. Third, set the muffler lower, so saddlebags don't stick out so far from the bike and that their capacity isn't reduced to pathetic levels making room for the silencer. Lane splitting is lawful in much of the world, so facilitating it would be a good thing. A center stand should be standard on road bikes, so put that on the list, as well as a factory installed power outlet up front, and cruise control. Finally, and this is based on reports of existing AT owners improve on the quality and effectiveness of Honda accessories such as heated grips, crash bars, saddlebags, etc. Making a profit is one thing, selling shoddy parts to make a profit is quite another.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming on the garden show; Honda bugs and what to do about them.
Not to sound negative, but if the three things you listed is what you want, then maybe the AT isn't for you(?) there are other bikes made by Honda and other manufacturers who are already making what you are asking for, so why would Honda make an AT into something that is readily available in the market?
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 08:19 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washryc View Post
Not to sound negative, but if the three things you listed is what you want, then maybe the AT isn't for you(?) there are other bikes made by Honda and other manufacturers who are already making what you are asking for, so why would Honda make an AT into something that is readily available in the market?
You are overlooking one thing Honda offers that no other motorcycle manufacturer does: the dual clutch automatic transmission. Honda (and I) believes DCT is the transmission of the future. Why else would they put it in such a wide variety of machines, from entry level motorcycles to sport bikes, Adventure bikes and quads? So, while there are plenty of ADV styled road bikes, in fact no manufacturer (Honda included) does offer what I'm asking for.

I became a DCT devote' when I bought an NC700XD and found the transmission a perfect fit for how I ride; sometimes relaxed and sometimes more spiritedly. The NC's ergonomics were also a good fit. The only limitation of the NC, was that with 50 HP, it is woefully underpowered for my riding area (elevations between 4500'-9000') in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Ideally, Honda would make an NC1000XD and I'd be a happy man. And if you look at it, my wish list above would produce exactly that.

I try not to make my posts on the AT forum personal, but AT News phrased his question so I couldn't resist putting in a plug for something that would suit me. Most likely, Honda monitors forums like this - looking for problems, ideas, etc. Why not throw out an idea they could profit from as well as riders like me?
rider_marc likes this.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
You are overlooking one thing Honda offers that no other motorcycle manufacturer does: the dual clutch automatic transmission. Honda (and I) believes DCT is the transmission of the future. Why else would they put it in such a wide variety of machines, from entry level motorcycles to sport bikes, Adventure bikes and quads? So, while there are plenty of ADV styled road bikes, in fact no manufacturer (Honda included) does offer what I'm asking for.

I became a DCT devote' when I bought an NC700XD and found the transmission a perfect fit for how I ride; sometimes relaxed and sometimes more spiritedly. The NC's ergonomics were also a good fit. The only limitation of the NC, was that with 50 HP, it is woefully underpowered for my riding area (elevations between 4500'-9000') in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Ideally, Honda would make an NC1000XD and I'd be a happy man. And if you look at it, my wish list above would produce exactly that.

I try not to make my posts on the AT forum personal, but AT News phrased his question so I couldn't resist putting in a plug for something that would suit me. Most likely, Honda monitors forums like this - looking for problems, ideas, etc. Why not throw out an idea they could profit from as well as riders like me?
I respect all opinions and tastes!

But it was because of similar opinions and tastes like yours, Honda withdrew in 2001 the AT RD07 and present the Varadero .

If people do not like black coffee just order directly one cappuccino.
African Twin Mofo likes this.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

Nah I get ya, I have a DCT my self, love it. But from the sound of what you're asking for, it's no longer a AT, that's all.
Honda could perhaps read this forum one day and produce something else in mind and not mess with the AT and it's long standing fan base.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Nah I get ya, I have a DCT my self, love it. But from the sound of what you're asking for, it's no longer a AT, that's all.
Honda could perhaps read this forum one day and produce something else in mind and not mess with the AT and it's long standing fan base.
Yep, no worse than Honda turning a VFR1200 into a VFR1200X Crosstourer, or an NC750X into a X ADV scooter (
). Doesn't affect the original model; they keep the "platform" (engine/transmission, chassis), change engine tuning and suspension as needed for the new mission and replace plastic as desired. Cost is much less than starting from scratch with an added benefit of spreading development costs over a larger number of products. Risk is minimized because of lower development cost and as you point out Washryc, built in customer acceptance for a known commodity (certainly for the AT).

It's hardly a ground breaking concept. European marques have done it for years. And most recently, Yamaha has turned out a raft of models based on the FZ platform(s) - including the poplular FJ-09/Tracer, the retro XSR900 and a prototype three wheel leaner (MWT9) all based on the FZ09.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 01:42 AM

I feel like Honda knew exactly what they were doing when they called it CRF...
this bike, although not breaking any new ground, is not pretending to be GS or a 1190r
or any other "benchmark" bike in the ADV pantheon
It's just an Africa Twin
and with it's roots in off-road riding, this bike does what it was designed to do
and, it does it very well
...point is, if they start adding in all these creature comforts, like cruise, 17" wheels, tubeless blah, blah, blah
...they move, incrementally, away from it being that big CRF dirt bike that you can ride
for a long while on pavement ...and it becomes exactly like all those other ADV bikes, just not as good
because it didn't start as a road bike
...now, this motor with the DCT in a sport-tourer or adv-tourer would be altogether different
I feel this is as close to a Dual-Sport as you can get in todays market, and still sell a few

I'm thinking more "goodnight KLR" and less "watch out GS"

Let the A'Twin be what it is... A big fat dirt bike... A really good big fat dirt bike...

2014 Aprilia SL750 Shiver
2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin

Last edited by ppallud; 09-28-2016 at 02:19 AM.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppallud View Post
I feel like Honda knew exactly what they were doing when they called it CRF...<snip>...point is, if they start adding in all these creature comforts, like cruise, 17" wheels, tubeless blah, blah, blah
...they move, incrementally, away from it being that big CRF dirt bike that you can ride
for a long while on pavement ...and it becomes exactly like all those other ADV bikes, just not as good
<snip>
Let the A'Twin be what it is... A big fat dirt bike... A really good big fat dirt bike...
That's all well and good and I wouldn't have it any other way. But understand that when a manufacturer uses one model as a platform to build another model, it usually has no effect on the original model. For example, BMW came out with an R nineT model about two years ago. This year, using the R nineT as the platform, they introduced the R nineT Scrambler and sell it along side the original R nineT. Next year they plan to add an R nineT "Pure" and R nineT "Racer" to the line up. Each variant of the original R nineT uses, or will use the same basic engine and frame (probably a lot of other parts), but each is styled and configured for a different market segment. The original R nineT will stay in the line up exactly the same as before - only now with a family of three related bikes. BMW is happy, BMW buyers are happy and the world is a better place. Now if Honda would only get a clue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page