Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Foot Shift DCT Standard and Other Details...

11K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  iSlanderYT 
#1 ·

Amid yesterdays news that Honda had released pricing for the 2016 CRF1000L Africa in North America was a quiet note that all DCT models would be equipped with a foot shift lever.

Honda has offered a foot shift lever with their DCT gearboxes in the past, albeit as an additional accessory.

Mechanically we are offered new details, the oil tank, oil pump and water pump are all incorporated into the engine. The battery is located near the engine, towards the bikes centre. Honda says this optimizes compactness and center of gravity. You will also be able to access the air filters without removing the fuel tank.

Compression and rebound are adjustable both front and rear, preload adjustable rear shock and massive amounts of suspension travel should keep things comfortable.

Honda also plans to offer a breadth of OEM accessories, including side cases, top boxes, heated grips, electrical sockets, a lower 32.3 inch seat option and likely a windscreen or two.

“The CRF1000L Africa Twin is one of the most exciting new products of the 2016 model year,” summarizes Lee Edmunds, Manager of Motorcycle Marketing Communications at American Honda. “No fewer than 32 patents have been applied for on this innovative model, and its specifications surpass the competition in several important areas. We know our customers have been hungry for a no-compromise, do-it-all adventure bike, and we’re confident that the Africa Twin fits the bill.”

See less See more
#2 ·
Any word on the skid plate? I know in the innitial batch of press photos some bikes had skid plates and others didnt... Don't know if maybe they werent supposed to be standard on base, base bikes... but with the change??? I can't imagine big red selling an ADV bike without a skid plate tbh...

ANNNDDDDDD... I'm betting the next gen 1000RR features a DCT footshift option...with a repsol livery...closest anyone is getting to seamless shift

#4 ·
Providing a foot shift lever on the DCT model is really good news, especially when using the bike in rough terrain. It should make intentional gear changes more natural and safer for riders. If "safer" isn't obvious, think about bouncing along a gnarly jeep road and having to release your thumb from the hand grip to find the down shift paddle when you need to drop a gear or two. That's quite a different thing than using a couple of fingers to grab the clutch lever in those conditions. Hit the right rock and without having your thumb (and forefinger) gripping the bar, you can easily end up losing control and ending up on the ground.

Not exactly on topic, but as long as I'm responding to a post from a forum member named "Honda Africa Twin News", who contributions are early and accurate (does the term "Honda employee" sound right?), why not ask the question: Is there any chance Honda will market a Standard based on the CRF1000 frame/engine/transmission platform? As a NC700XD owner committed to DCT and with only one complaint (pathetic lack of power) about it, such a model would be the answer to my prayers (two wheel prayers anyway). A Standard would be another way to spread the cost of developing the engine/transmission (as with the Pioneer 1000) and it would give NC riders a familiar feeling motorcycle when they are ready to upgrade. Not to mention that a Standard would be a good way to offer DCT technology to more advanced riders than targeted by the NC/CTX series or those not interested in off-road adventures. It seems like a pretty logical move for Honda.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.