Honda Africa Twin Delays May Continue After Earthquake - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Honda Africa Twin Delays May Continue After Earthquake

Honda’s Kumamoto plant was damaged by last month’s earthquake and the Africa Twin delay may be longer than expected.

On the 14th of April, around 9:26 p.m, a magnitude-6.5 earthquake struck Kyushu and production factories and supply chains were damaged by it. Besides Honda, other manufacturers were affected including Toyota, Bridgestone, and Mitsubishi.

Originally, Honda was hoping to have the plant up and running at full capacity again within days after the earthquake but it looks like the delay will continue beyond this timeframe because the plant was too badly damaged in the quake. Understandable since this was the largest earthquake in the History of Japan.

Partial production has been restored at the plant since May 6th and the rest of the factory’s production will resume in stages depending on their circumstances. Honda is expecting to have the plant fully recovered and operational by mid-August of this year. This means those who are waiting for their Africa Twin may experience longer than expected wait times.

We say ‘may’ because the Africa Twin is still in high demand and if Honda has to choose between cranking out CBR1000s or the new and popular ADV bike, they’ll probably choose to use what production capacity they have on the Africa Twin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 03:27 PM

There's no "May" about it. We are getting told in Oz they will start building AT's September for November shipping due to the earthquake.
Not sure if this meant AT's just for the Oz market or Worldwide.

2016 Africa Twin DCT Tricolour - B&B Offroad Bash plate, Radiator guards and Luggage plates. SW Motech crash bars, Motoz Adventure tyres, Termignoni exhaust, Garmin GPS, H&B handguards.
2011 Kawasaki W800, 2015 Honda CRF250L, 2012 Kawasaki KLR650.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 01:47 PM

Maybe for OZ only? Production has already resumed so I assume they'll try to push out a bit of every model.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 04:25 AM

I did hear today that a couple of 20 ton machine tools were still on their sides after the earthquake, the place must be in a bit of a mess,

Adventure before Dementia,
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 06:05 AM

It would be nice if Honda Japan did a press release stating what the damage was to the plant and the time delays expected with production.
If they have already, then it hasn't been will published?
Having lived through a number of large earthquakes here in Christchurch I can fully understand the issues they (management & staff) will be experiencing and the time it takes to repairs things.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 10:06 PM

I cant see them announcing officially any massive delays.
From Hondas point of view that doesn't do any favours for share price or consumer confidence.

2016 Africa Twin DCT Tricolour - B&B Offroad Bash plate, Radiator guards and Luggage plates. SW Motech crash bars, Motoz Adventure tyres, Termignoni exhaust, Garmin GPS, H&B handguards.
2011 Kawasaki W800, 2015 Honda CRF250L, 2012 Kawasaki KLR650.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 03:40 AM

Garage
My order for a DCT in Thailand was meant to be early June, they called me last week to say maybe coming in October. Ordered and received a Triumph Tiger 800 XCX last month already but was still toying with the AT if they responded quickly to the wheel corrosion issue but as that looks unlikely given the wider issues Honda have to deal with I asked for my deposit back and will look at the AT in a few years time (if I ever get bored with the Tiger). Sorry for all those who have to wait, mother nature can be a bitch!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 05:45 AM

Tiger is a great bike mate, you can't go wrong with it. That triple engine is just so sweet, I had one for a few years . I still have my original DCT on order but I have bought the manual and when the DCT eventually arrives will have the option to change it. I will of course be out of pocket.

I just got my Manual tricolour yesterday. The dealer has promised to minimise the damage but there is always only one winner in this game.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 07:22 AM

Honda CRF 1000 2016 Africa Twin Luggage Plate.
Ek maak hulle vir R900 elk. 5mm 6082 Aviation Alum.
Enige Design welkom met bending.
barrysnyman@yahoo.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160526_114110.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	5338  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 03:45 PM

My dealer showed me a memo from Honda USA indicating that production is ramping up and all orders will be filled by late August. It indicated they may fill earlier, but the commitment was August.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page