Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Has anyone regrets

41K views 62 replies 49 participants last post by  irsh 
#1 ·
Has anyone regrets about buying their African Twin.and if so why.or how happy are u on a scale of 1 to 10.

#2 ·
None yet. Although, I haven't put many miles on it yet. I checked with a good friend who has a ton of riding experience. He has had his for 6 mos or so, done a ton of adventure rides, and he said the AT was my only option...

#5 ·
After riding BIG adventure bikes for some years, I started looking for something that would be easier for me in the technical sections. This came about after a specific incident, about 18 months ago, when I was riding on my own. Riding on my own is something I enjoy.

I test drove all the bikes I thought would be suitable, but none of them gave me the 'feeling' that 'this is the one'. I had specific needs. Some of them stuff like,
21" front wheel,
fully adjustable suspension,
adjustable handle bars,
reasonable fuel range,
load carrying ability,
reasonable comfort for all day rides,
adjustable seat height (I am 1.68 m),
screen must give reasonable wind protection
space behind the screen to mount GPS and power outlet.

Some bikes met all or most of these points, but none of them gave me that 'warm and fussy' feeling.

Then I stumbled across an article about the launch of a new Africa Twin. I have no idea how I could have missed it! I was in the Honda dealers, but because my mind did not have the words 'Africa Twin' in it, I did not look out for it.

I contacted a couple of dealers and found one that had a demo model available for a weekend. Although I had the bike for a weekend, I knew within 1 kilometer that I had found 'the one'.

So, to your question:
Do I regret the purchase - Not for a single moment.
Rating scale 1 to 10 - I would give it a 9.

There is always space for improvement on any bike, but it is extremely close to MY perfect fit. One improvement to me would be a larger fuel tank. For me a 25 ltr tank would be perfect and a 30 ltr tank is too big, for this bike. Maybe a tubeless tire setup would be better, but I am not 100% sure about this. I quite like the fact that it did not come with all the 'extras' like crash bars etc. That way you can set it up how you want it.

Do I enjoy riding it? Yes. If you go to the below link, or copy the link into your browser, you will see the route I did on Sunday, just because I could!

http://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/385-what-did-you-do-your-africa-twin-today/4833-what-did-you-do-your-africa-twin-today-3.html

#6 ·
Love it, no regret. 3K mi so far after getting it in May. I was putting on some breakin miles on a CX3 dual sport Chinese bike and stopped at a Honda dealer. There it was , MT and silver, sitting out front. WTH they were all taken at that point? First 3 buyers that had down $ did not complete sale so it was mine.
After 17yrs riding KLR's, (00, and 08 oil pig, mostly needed more power for hwy with adv load and I am a BIG rider. Have done many dual sport.BDR's and ADV rides on the KLR's. Long time dirt rider long in tooth, sport tour......

#7 ·
I have no regrets either, just like JohnG, I give it a 9 out of 10,

This is the best all round bike I've ever bought, 12,500 miles in 9 months, it would have scored a 10 out of 10 if they'd fitted tubeless rims, non corroding spokes and heated grips that heated properly,

I've fitted Alpina wheels, and if they don't sort out the heated grips soon I shall go aftermarket, and ask Honda for my money back ,:wink2:

#46 ·
I have no regrets either, just like JohnG, I give it a 9 out of 10,

This is the best all round bike I've ever bought, 12,500 miles in 9 months, it would have scored a 10 out of 10 if they'd fitted tubeless rims, non corroding spokes and heated grips that heated properly,

I've fitted Alpina wheels, and if they don't sort out the heated grips soon I shall go aftermarket, and ask Honda for my money back ,:wink2:
I love the Africa Twin . After riding old bikes and a DRZ400 I was amazed when I rode it for the first time. I have OEM heated grips and even in the coldest day they work well. I do wear Revit gloves which are designed for heated grips supposedly. I have never understand why so many people say that about them . Took me a while to realise that sport 3 is the way to go with the DCT. 😄

#8 ·
No regrets here, BUT for the places and the type of riding I like doing 50/50 and I mean I can go from sealed roads to dirt roads back to sealed roads many times in one ride.
(I'm sure many of us do?) I also have short pit stops now and then and turn off the ignition. Now I know its not that big of a deal, but having to reset ABS and Traction Control every #% time, leads me to give a rating of 9/10. Dam I thought I had found the perfect bike :) Maybe next major upgrade Mr Honda ?

#9 ·
I regret financing my bike! hahaha other than that, it is one of the best machines I have owned. I adored my V-Strom, and the only thing that could do better is handle a corner with the 19'' front wheel. The Africa twin checks every other box though.
I have taken it on a 5,000-mile trip this past summer and can say it TRULY is the swiss army knife of bikes. I have ridden it in the rain, dry, on road, off road, and in the snow. It is incredible. It really doesn't have stand-out performance in any category like a niche built machine, but it can do IT ALL!!!

#10 ·
Thanks guys.feel a lot better.was worried over narrow wheels and stability on wet roads as I will b 90% on tar and maybe if I'm BRAVE enough little off road.i am changing the oem tyres b 4 I collect to conti trail attack 2,s.hopfully their the best for me and giv me confidence in wet.thanks for all great advice.

#11 ·
I am a new owner (mostly road riding), and so far the jury is out as to whether it will be a keeper or not. That's not the AT's fault I just have to wait until it gets a little warmer and dryer to put it through its paces. Oh and have decent tyres fitted.

I will admit that the major reason for the purchase was to give the DCT box a try and it is the only bike with it that is not too big and heavy or under powered (for my personal needs). I realised before I went for it that there would be compromises. It is taller and heavier than many street riding bikes, the power is a little low, the safety aids are not up to some others, and the big front wheel and suspension is not as road focused as others out there. On the plus side it has the gearbox and will handle touring duties better than many street bikes.

For me the compromises will be worth it if I find it satisfying in the twisties, as that as they say is a non-negotiable for me. Roll on spring.

#12 ·
I only have 500 Miles on my AT DCT so far. It is the only "NEW" bike I have ever bought. I have been riding for 30 years. I have had old CB750's, a Goldwing, A Venture Royal, a tt600, a xr600, a xr650R, a CRF450x, a Ural, and a bunch of Harley's. This bike blends the best of both of my riding worlds together in one great package. I took a chance on the DCT version and I am getting a kick out of it. I would give this bike a 9 out of 10. Honda only loses points for getting cheap on its delivery of this bike.
No Crash Protection
No Tool Kit
Crappy stock tires.
No heated grips
No center stand.
But please keep in mind that it only cost $13.5K. if you look at all of the other competition, all of those options added on make it a competitively priced bike.

I would also like to be able to squeeze another 15HP out of it.

Other than that, I love it.

#14 ·
I am a moto vlogger so I have answers to both side of the yes and no both with videos on the topic. one vide is the 5 things I hate about the AT, the other is a video about the 10 things I love about it.
In all fairness, the 5 things I hate video boils down to the fact there is another motorcycle at the same price with a few more bells and whistles, i.e. cruise, comes with some crash bars decent foot pegs etc. It is basically a word for word video about the two.

With that said, My video about the 10 things I love about the AT, is spot on why I bought the bike over said comparison and why and all the great things the AT will do and shine at. I plan on riding this bike all over the US as much as time and finances allow. With that said if I break down, there will always be a Honda dealer near by. I don't know that I will ever need one, after all it is a honda, and they make great stuff, but things do break from time to time and I can tell you I have not had anything go wrong, I love the bike and to me it fits the bill for what I was looking for and my true intended purpose of buying said bike. I love it I hope this helps and I hope you have a blessed week my friend.

#18 ·
I had to abanden a 5 day ride on the 3rd cause my fork seals both shocks were leaking so bad oil was dripping on brake pads and front tire. Dealer tells me I will wait till May for parts although I was told to call back Friday when computer updates. Even so about 3 weeks the norm. I have had 9 KTMs and never had this kind of delay for parts. Surely Honda should have fork seals readily available. My spoke have been replaced and already look worse than originals. Pity cause it's a great bike.

#21 ·
My only regret is I wish I had this bike 5 years ago! In 4 months I put 13,000. km's on it, 60-70% off road it is a great bike, good on fuel, good on road, it is a great ride. I started riding when I was 3yrs old, have had many bikes, [20 in my garage now] this is my go to bike. Like driving down the road 1000 km's from home, seeing a dirt road and go for it. Just need to get better at the gps. 10 out of 10 for me.

Attachments

#24 ·
There are a few things that annoy me, but no solid regrets. This is the first new motorcycle I've bought in 15 years and I think it is a good choice for me. As I get older I know I won't bounce like I used to when I hit the ground. To decrease my chances of that happening I decided to go with something with ABS and traction control. Yes, I have become the person whose ass I would have kicked 30 years ago. The AT was more expensive than I wanted, but nothing else fit correctly and had all the stuff I wanted if I were going to put out the bucks for a new bike. So far no problems or regrets. Except that I bought the thing in the middle of the Oregon winter so I'm not getting out on it as much as I would like.

#25 ·
No regrets here. I've got about 4700 miles since mid-August and a lot of that has been forest service roads and jeep trails. Includes a 900 mile trip with the wife, which she thoroughly enjoyed. No single track yet, that's what the 250X is for... :)

Additions: (so far)
Givi upper and lower bars
Barkbusters
Batzen screen adjuster
Atlas throttle lock
Pro Taper pillow grips
Honda rear comfort pegs
Pivot Pegz
SW Motech Trax ADV bags w/quick release mounts
SW Motech alum rear rack plate w/Givi quick release adapter
Touratech Explore HP shock and progressive front springs
Montana GPS with AMPs powered quick release mount
SW Motech City quick release electric tankbag
Tankslapper protection film kit
Wolfman Daytripper saddlebags mounted to upper crash bars
Shinko 800 series tires
Custom designed power outlets for GPS, heated gear and other items

Attachments

#26 ·
I really like it,put 3000 miles, I have a bmw gs800, and had a yamaha tenere... for me out of the 3 bikes I like the AT the best.....

good things

1 really nice quality
2 geometry feels like a dirt bike ( best out of the 3 ) although I have no complaints here on any of them
3 great motor, very smooth (a little more power than gs800, lot less than tenere)
4 no vibrations... ( for me the gs and the tenere both vibrated my right hand to sleep on long hauls)
5 I can put my feet on the ground ( gs800 to tall, tenere slightly higher than AT .. I think the AT seat is narrower and that is the difference

bad
1- It is the hardest to work on, I'm getting used to it but the gs and tenere are hands down easier to work on
2- the rear luggage connecting to plastic frame . the gs and tenere you can mount to frame, also they both have a bolt on sub frame, if you crash hard and bend the sub frame it would be very easy to replace , not cheep but better than replacing entire frame... I guess thats why AT hooks into plastic ..... so maybe a toss up?

#27 ·
A few more thoughts
I ride 50/50 dirt and touring
Road AT Denver to Oregon coast this summer, all secondary hw and logging roads. took one logging road for 200 miles before poping out on the pavement. friend was on 1190 ktm for same ride. he certainly could out accelerate me but on the single track trails he suffered.
I love the dirt roads and camping and the AT is really nice for this, really want Jesse bags but still waiting for them to come out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.