So What don't you like about your Africa Twin? - Page 5 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 26Likes

post #41 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:22 AM

Be it bikes or women, perfect doesn't exist, you just have to do with what you are given !

I would have loved a waterproof USB connection and the the signal button is too low, got used to it but it's annoying.

But you guys have to explain what the problem is with the pegs, I'm coming from essentially all Yamaha roadsters and
I really don't get why so many change them !?

Then honestly looking at everyone's complains, sure in an ideal world they would give you more stuff for free on the
bike, that would be great. But I rode what to me were competting bikes and honestly go look at the BMW GS800
options list, you have to put almost everything on it almost, rising at the AT price. Also the Tiger 800 is more expensive
and requires options fur lugage, screen and other stuff. The 1000 Vstrom if you can get used to the looks, has the 12V
plug and the centre stand, but with luggage it gets more expensive too.
Let's not even talk about the Multistrada 950...

So realistically aside the 12V plug and centre stand, I don't really think Honda is that wrong !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:24 PM
SJW

Rubber screen mounts just ordered a bag full 😂😂😂
post #43 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:12 AM

I have a couple of niggles so far. Got a bike with the bad spokes, had the bike drop out of gear when changing between 4 and 5, high fuel consumption. I hate the design of the front fairing it really shits me off, I don't like those plastic clips. I miss some of my old bikes were the fairing was held by some screws and a few clips. I think if I am being honest owning this bike has made me realize that my next bike is going to be another smaller bike, perhaps one of those AJP pr7 bikes they look sweet. You can't beat having a throbbing thumper vibrating between your legs. Don't get me wrong I love the bike, it amazing that honda can make such a big heavy bike that can be ridden so hard off road and be 10 grand cheaper than a KTM. I think that maybe I should of waited one or two years and then bought this bike so that honda had ironed everything out.

"WHAT ME SNOTTY" Alfred E Newman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 08:36 AM

I wish it had an electronic compass on the dash display.
post #45 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 05:44 AM

Center stand bangs around over rough roads and you have to tie it up.
Thats all that annoys me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170615_150845.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	26609   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170615_115936.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	26617   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170603_093651.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	26625  
post #46 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 08:11 AM

nice pics mate , what soft panniers are they ?
post #47 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 09:59 AM

Just done 1200 miles round southern Ireland and can't think of much that was wrong with the bike.
Numbing of the right hand - but it looks like that's my failing body rather than Honda's problem.
Wasted space between wheel and OEM panniers - I reckon they could have brought one or both of them a couple of inches further in
Would have been nice to have electronic cruise control - but the GoCruise works quite well because the engine is so flexible.
Over rough roads the bike was brilliant, but on some of Ireland's collapsing lochside undulating roads the suspension was a bit boingy - however I could have probably corrected for it if I twiddled the damping controls which are still set as delivered.
Battering was awful at 100mph (rode several hundred miles at 70mph into the teeth of a 30mph wind). But any upright bike would have been the same.
(5 days each of 7 or 7.5 hours in the saddle and no complaints about the standard seat at all)
Mike
post #48 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Topher View Post
nice pics mate , what soft panniers are they ?
Hi Chris
Toys2Go stainless steel side racks with black power coating. (South Africa)
Andy Strapz side panniers. (Australia) Bags are tuff as and hold 4 bottles.
Both products can be sourced in Australia and are great setup for the bush.
post #49 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
Just done 1200 miles round southern Ireland and can't think of much that was wrong with the bike.
Numbing of the right hand - but it looks like that's my failing body rather than Honda's problem.
Wasted space between wheel and OEM panniers - I reckon they could have brought one or both of them a couple of inches further in
Would have been nice to have electronic cruise control - but the GoCruise works quite well because the engine is so flexible.
Over rough roads the bike was brilliant, but on some of Ireland's collapsing lochside undulating roads the suspension was a bit boingy - however I could have probably corrected for it if I twiddled the damping controls which are still set as delivered.
Battering was awful at 100mph (rode several hundred miles at 70mph into the teeth of a 30mph wind). But any upright bike would have been the same.
(5 days each of 7 or 7.5 hours in the saddle and no complaints about the standard seat at all)
Mike
Just thought of two mild annoyances that bugged me slightly on the trip. My speedo is out by almost 10% (over-reading) and the air temp was out by a full 5 degrees c near Preston. Heck that's the difference between 61 deg and 70 degrees in old money.
You'd think Honda would at least offer a dealer recalibration option as it should be easy enough to introduce the offset in the instrument rather than me having to do it in my old brain
Mike
post #50 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 04:49 PM

Garage
Stuff that bothers me...

First, I love the bike....

These things bother me about the bike... These are not complaints, just thoughts (some personal)
- No auto cancelling signals (my 1977 RD400 has them)
- Horn button and signal switch are in odd positions (would like to swap)
- Why is there throttle cables? (could have throttle by wire)
- No cruise control (throttle by wire, would solve this issue)
- Why is the parking brake cable operated (could be hydraulic)
- Side stand seems to be a little too long
- Center stand and 12v socket, should be standard equipment
- Would like a compass in the instrument cluster
- Should include a nice tool kit for an Adventure Bike

- Perhaps these are future features...

2017 DCT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page