First service question - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:40 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 22
Garage
With a service manual it should be no problem. I had the dealer do it since I was also getting heated grips and the center stand installed and didn't feel like taking half the bike apart to install the grips (that should have been a factory option!). I'll scan my inspection check sheet, so you'll have an idea what the dealer actually checks - or at least is supposed to check.
mbaur is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
G20
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Washington State
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaur View Post
With a service manual it should be no problem. I had the dealer do it since I was also getting heated grips and the center stand installed and didn't feel like taking half the bike apart to install the grips (that should have been a factory option!). I'll scan my inspection check sheet, so you'll have an idea what the dealer actually checks - or at least is supposed to check.
That would be perfect!

2016 Silver DCT
Snoqualmie, WA
G20 is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: London
Posts: 50
So you've done your own first service and 500 miles down the road a mechanical problem appears. Is the dealer going to invalidate your warranty?
gas man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gas man View Post
So you've done your own first service and 500 miles down the road a mechanical problem appears. Is the dealer going to invalidate your warranty?
Nope... Dealer has to show that your negligence is the cause of the issue. Sure if you bring you bike in with 1 qt of oil in it and a seized engine they are not going to replace it. If you do proper maintenance, as prescribed by the FSM you will be fine.

If the dealer is going to F()@% you on a warranty claim because you do your own maintenance then they will F()@% you on other issues as well. If this is the case find a new dealer.

Google "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" if you still have doubts/questions.
King of Beers is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:34 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 19
I just performed the first service to my new AT. It cost me about $60.00 for (2) filters, 5 Quarts of oil, a new o-ring for the DCT filter and new squash washers.
It took me about 30 Minutes.

My dealer told me to document all services and keep all receipts for parts you purchased. This will go a long way if you have a warranty claim and help prove you did the required maintenance.

Good luck.

Paul
Paul Mitchell is offline  
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mitchell View Post
I just performed the first service to my new AT. It cost me about $60.00 for (2) filters, 5 Quarts of oil, a new o-ring for the DCT filter and new squash washers.
It took me about 30 Minutes.

My dealer told me to document all services and keep all receipts for parts you purchased. This will go a long way if you have a warranty claim and help prove you did the required maintenance.

Good luck.

Paul
Can you post the OEM part numbers for all those items?
TIA
16rally is offline  
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: London
Posts: 50
Helpful info guys, thanks?
gas man is offline  
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:33 PM
Member
 
dancerdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Larne, Norn Ireland
Posts: 77
I think warranty rules may be different in the UK as I asked my dealer today if I bought oil and filter off them for my first service would the warranty be valid and they said NO

I do not want to risk it and will be booking the bike in. Consumers seem to have much more protection in the states.

Tri colour Africa Twin / BMW 1050 Siebenrock GS
dancerdave is offline  
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:50 PM
Junior Member
 
Specularius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Central Louisiana
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16rally View Post
Can you post the OEM part numbers for all those items?
TIA
I know this is a few weeks old, but here is what I have collected so far:
15412-MGS-D21 DCT Oil Filter
91302-PA9-003 O-Ring for DCT
94109-1200 Drain Plug Crush Washer, 2 required
15410-MFJ-D01 Engine Oil Filter
17210-MJP-G50 Air Filter, 2 required

2016 Silver Africa Twin DCT
Specularius is offline  
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
G20
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Washington State
Posts: 71
For those in the states, I found a pretty cheap price on the Honda GN-4 Oil. It was about $10.00 cheaper for a gallon than at any of the local dealers, Amazon, etc..

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...roke-Motor-Oil
crstep likes this.

2016 Silver DCT
Snoqualmie, WA
G20 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a Remap Service Alex Cano Want To Buy 13 06-10-2017 12:12 PM
First Service - Questions....Recommendations... billybronco Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin General Discussion Forum 9 08-31-2016 05:00 PM
600mile/1k service sybjer Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin General Discussion Forum 7 07-20-2016 10:27 AM
First service , have you had yours done ? Mad Frosty Engine and Technical Discussion 17 06-12-2016 06:04 PM
S/H AT, First service, new wheels and Gloop MikeVTWIN Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin General Discussion Forum 8 05-19-2016 06:19 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome