What are your DCT settings? - Page 4 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 4Likes

post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 10:14 PM

Thanks for your comments "Bless The Rains" and "Root". I have now come to realize that the rear brake IS the "clutch" on a DCT. You really have to modulate and drag it to keep everything very smooth at low speed. As we all instinctively use the clutch to control the "lean in" or "drop" of the bike when turning at very slow speeds, with DCT the rear brake provides that function. Not necessarily bad but it does take some practice. Every day I ride the DCT I get better at it and it becomes more instinctive. While I still own and ride three other clutch bikes, I still like the DCT for all the other unique performance characteristics it provides.
Quest4ADV likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 10:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Root View Post
Yeah 15 mph is the worst speed you can do. Right between first and second if you are just cruising and it keeps trying to switch between the 2, even at S2. D is worse though. If you are using D, try S1 or 2 (or 3).
When I need to go through a parking lot between 10-20 mph, I put it in manual and 2nd gear. I'm getting pretty good at hitting the A/M switch while on the move.
Quest4ADV likes this.

I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Thanks for your comments "Bless The Rains" and "Root". I have now come to realize that the rear brake IS the "clutch" on a DCT. You really have to modulate and drag it to keep everything very smooth at low speed. As we all instinctively use the clutch to control the "lean in" or "drop" of the bike when turning at very slow speeds, with DCT the rear brake provides that function. Not necessarily bad but it does take some practice. Every day I ride the DCT I get better at it and it becomes more instinctive. While I still own and ride three other clutch bikes, I still like the DCT for all the other unique performance characteristics it provides.
I use the back brake for slow speed control on my DCT and the clutch on my manual Rocket, but apparently I am wrong to do so on the Rocket. A couple of courses I have been on in the UK say that you should use the back brake even on a manual bike. Old habits are difficult to change though.
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page