Crash Bar Recommendations - Page 7 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 17Likes

post #61 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowjack View Post
Think about it: If you saw aftermarket parts on Honda's own demo bikes, would you buy the OEM parts? They don't care whether they can be protected better; repairs come out of the advertising budget.
I see the point but t i thought it would be too expensive to do repairs all the time than doing a proper design it canít be that costly for a company with so much know how and experience. If the words spread then who buys the OEM? And what is Hondaís interest that so many peopke buy after market bars? They could have done a ď street versionĒ and an off road version for even more money if the current one is below par for off road. I may be wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvmumbral View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlag View Post
Yes. Totally accessible. See pic. The scratches you see on the engine and trans filter cover are from the drop in rocks with the OEM bars installed and prior to these outback mototeks.
the lower outback motortek seem lo leave a lot of those engine covers unprotected.

the mids and uppers do a great job tho.
In my opinion with anything less than a high speed crash I think the lower bars would hold the bike up sufficiently to protect those covers. Outback has a video on their website of them throwing a Africa Twin down on concrete and gravel with no damage.

In my case the damage occurred with the OEM bars installed.I laid the bike down at slow speed while traversing some rocky
terrain. The OEM bars being rubber mounted and not rigid did not support the weight of the bike allowing the covers to rub on the ground. They also flexed into my fairing cracking it.
post #63 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 11:54 PM

I picked AltRider for my 2017 AT. I bought the all set: Upper, lower, reinforcement and skid plate.
Installation is fairly easy if you watch the numerous videos on YouTube. At the end, I decided not to install the reinforcement bars as several people complained about the vibrations they create. Some riders completely disagree. I'll try them on this spring before I go to Baja California.
Overall I give this set a thumbs up. Lower bars are 1.25" in diameter and are super sturdy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190127_143131 (1).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	46775  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlag View Post
In my case the damage occurred with the OEM bars installed.I laid the bike down at slow speed while traversing some rocky
terrain. The OEM bars being rubber mounted and not rigid did not support the weight of the bike allowing the covers to rub on the ground. They also flexed into my fairing cracking it.
I donít think anyone would assume the OEM upper bars protect the engine very much in a slide or hard fall. With a gentle tip over, maybe.

Personally, Iím not very disappointed with the ATAS upper bars. I like the way they lookóa lotóand have found them to be stronger than some give them credit for. As OEM bars go, they arenít that terrible.

However, they are not nearly as serious as a good set of aftermarket crash bars, like OMís, etc.

But in conjunction with a *nice* set of lowers and some thoughtful bag positioning, they work well for me.

Depending on the terrain, in most moving slides or falls, the lower part of the bike will come in contact with the ground before the uppers. A good set of wide, strong lowers goes a long way in assisting the OEM uppers in any slide or fall. Not to mention, good handlebar protection and something at the back to keep the bike off the ground.

I took a hard slide on my bike and the Hepco & Becker lowers levered the bike up enough so the OEM uppers didnít have much weight on them. I also had H&B bar bags filled with soft cloth attached to the OEM uppers and that combo kept all the important parts of my bike clear from the ground. The bar bags also helped very much in cushioning the OEM bars from moving much and kept the bike further away from the ground up there.

I've said this before, but itís trueÖ after reinstalling the OEM uppers over the H&B lowers at the bottom bolting locations (as part of the install process) my uppers seem much sturdier. That may just be because I torqued those bolts down tighter than they had been from the factory (and squeezed the rubber grommets at bit more). Nothing changed at the top, thatís still mounted with the rubber grommets and torqued bolts unchanged, but the overall stiffness of the bars seemed to get better.

I wouldnít want to fall on the OEM uppers without the bar bags stuffed and tied on. They help *a lot.* But for my riding, I feel like my bike is pretty well protected now. I used to think the OEM uppers might be a one-and-done deal, but no longer. And Iíll also have decent cushioning at the back on the panniers racks whenever I do any proper off-roading.

This was my getup, the last time I was out. Worked well for me. Beyond some scratching on the lowers and dinging up the bar bag and a few scratches on the rear bag, came through without a scratch on the bike proper. And even though the bike came down hard, if the OEM uppers met the fairing, I could not see any evidence of it. The Hepco & Becker lowers and bar bags and the H&B handlebar protectors saved the bike.

All the best, Gary

Ps. That rear bag had another small ratchet strap holding it tight from behind through hoops in the bag. It was on there pretty good for the day's riding.

Ö
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	getup2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	46799  

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.
post #65 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:34 PM

Took some photos of the Happy Trails crash bars and skid plate today. Only one very sturdy crash bar (not upper and lower) with good coverage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2-10-19 Crashbar&Skidplate.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	47039   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-10-19 Side Crashbar.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	47041  
post #66 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:42 PM

I have just fitted a set of the HEED crash bars to my ATAS DCT and very pleased with the result. They seem to be very well made with a good quality finish. They are sturdy and do not flex at all while appear to protect all the important engine components as well as the upper body panels.

I think a full set of crash bars for Euro 203, GBP £178, USD $229 is good value. They shipped quickly and are packed against damage in transit very well.

If you are considering ordering these there are different sets for the manual AT/AS and AT/AS-DCT

The translated written instructions are difficult to follow but there are a few videos online which help a great deal and the bars go onto the bike fairly easily after watching these.

https://heedshop.eu/en_US/p/Crash-ba...ker-silver/326

The front right (as sat on the bike) ATAS skid plate mount on the crash bars needed a spacer to make an ideal mounting. I simply used an oversize nut between the crash bar mount and the inside of the skid plate.

During fitting I left the packaging on the bars to protect both them and the bike during the install only removing the packing bits where the mounting points were needed. Once I was happy with the positioning of all the mounts I then tightened everything up and remove the remainder of the protective packing.

The Heed crash bars will need to be taken off the bike for servicing the air filters or removing the body panels for any other reason. Whilst this could been seen as a pain to do I don’t think this will take more than half an hour once a year.

I have yet to test them in anger and hope I don’t need to but they do look the part and appear very strong.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aheed2.png
Views:	87
Size:	736.1 KB
ID:	47043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aheed1.PNG
Views:	89
Size:	906.6 KB
ID:	47045  
post #67 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:58 PM
R.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilNewnham View Post
I have just fitted a set of the HEED crash bars to my ATAS DCT and very pleased with the result. They seem to be very well made with a good quality finish. They are sturdy and do not flex at all while appear to protect all the important engine components as well as the upper body panels.

I think a full set of crash bars for Euro 203, GBP £178, USD $229 is good value. They shipped quickly and are packed against damage in transit very well.

If you are considering ordering these there are different sets for the manual AT/AS and AT/AS-DCT

The translated written instructions are difficult to follow but there are a few videos online which help a great deal and the bars go onto the bike fairly easily after watching these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8z0RyJpCAo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuSpAxXZ1ow

https://heedshop.eu/en_US/p/Crash-ba...ker-silver/326

The front right (as sat on the bike) ATAS skid plate mount on the crash bars needed a spacer to make an ideal mounting. I simply used an oversize nut between the crash bar mount and the inside of the skid plate.

During fitting I left the packaging on the bars to protect both them and the bike during the install only removing the packing bits where the mounting points were needed. Once I was happy with the positioning of all the mounts I then tightened everything up and remove the remainder of the protective packing.

The Heed crash bars will need to be taken off the bike for servicing the air filters or removing the body panels for any other reason. Whilst this could been seen as a pain to do I donít think this will take more than half an hour once a year.

I have yet to test them in anger and hope I donít need to but they do look the part and appear very strong.
I've tested them in anger, well at about 25km down the road & they did the job very well. Bit of touch up with black satin spray & all was good, except for bent handlebars/scuffed handguard/barend weight & rear passenger hanger snapping off. But all the body work remained unscathed. I have the BUMOT skid plate that also helped take some of the road rash.
post #68 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowjack View Post
Think about it: If you saw aftermarket parts on Honda's own demo bikes, would you buy the OEM parts? They don't care whether they can be protected better; repairs come out of the advertising budget.
I see the point but if this is the case Honda could sell a higher priced crash bar called ďultimateĒ crash bar or something and cash in on the product.. This happens often ....with manufacturers.
post #69 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:06 PM

I decided on the upper Altrider crash bars and the B&B bash plate. Very happy with the coverage, now canít wait for nice weather.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	08E85914-0472-47B8-8F71-C94FD25568AE.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	47141   Click image for larger version

Name:	6F96F8E8-06A2-483B-B1AC-ACA052E52FE0.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	47143  
garyh, gvmumbral and Bookem like this.
post #70 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
I decided on the upper Altrider crash bars and the B&B bash plate. Very happy with the coverage, now canít wait for nice weather.
That looks pretty nice. And that bash-plate is some serious lower protection.

Stumpy and gvmumbral like this.

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page