AT blown over ! - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

AT blown over !

Since owning my AT it has worried me how upright the bike is when on the centre stand, I have always been conscious of this when parking. Yesterday I parked on a tarred car park to admire the view when gust of wind blew the bike over.

I am confident the bike was parked leaning correctly into the sidestand and and on solid ground.

Has anyone had a similar experience ?

Does anyone know if a shorter sidestand is available ?

Any help appreciated, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:18 AM

Garage
for a shorter kick stand look here: https://krooztune.store/shop/adventu...let-sidestand/
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari4711 View Post
for a shorter kick stand look here: https://krooztune.store/shop/adventu...let-sidestand/
I looked...then I saw the price! £368. Cheaper to carry a hammer and cold chisel and excavate a small depression in the tarmac - except they won't fit in Honda's 'toolbox'!
feequess likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:48 AM

Garage
@Tigerjohn : price for the kick stand ONLY is some Ä 184, --. I assume you took the price for the complete lowering kit.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:46 PM

That does sound a bit better - but still an expensive solution to a problem which shouldn't exist. I wonder, Clive, whether the bike was parked on a gentle gradient? If the ground was sloping upwards (even a little) on the stand side, it could have changed the lean angle enough to make the crucial difference - we've all been there! I've played about with mine since reading this....it does seem very stable on flat ground. It would take a Hebridean storm to blow it over.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 02:06 PM

Garage
I put on a lowering link and just cut 3/4" out of the stand and welded it back together.

2016 Silver DCT # 000051
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveW View Post
Since owning my AT it has worried me how upright the bike is when on the centre stand, I have always been conscious of this when parking. Yesterday I parked on a tarred car park to admire the view when gust of wind blew the bike over.

I am confident the bike was parked leaning correctly into the sidestand and and on solid ground.

Has anyone had a similar experience ? Any help appreciated, thanks
Assuming you mean it got blown off the SIDE STAND

Check the sag on your rear suspension. If the static sag is too much (bike on lift - bike on wheels height difference rear axle to frame) the rear will be low and the bike will sit pretty vertical. Maybe you have luggage and heavy crash bars etc. adding weight?

Check the rider sag too (bike on lift - you in riding gear sitting on bike with normal riding kit). Adjust the rear spring preload as required to get proper sag.
Any AT I've looked at in the showroom (waiting for mine) is was leaned over quite a bit on that bendy side stand.

Last edited by black99S; 03-11-2017 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Side stand comments
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveW View Post
Since owning my AT it has worried me how upright the bike is when on the centre stand,
I'd be worried if it weren't upright while parked on the center stand.

Cutting the sidestand a little shorter seems like a good idea. Sometimes when I deploy the sidestand on rough/uneven ground I almost have to tip the bike over to the right to get the stand down.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari4711 View Post
@Tigerjohn : price for the kick stand ONLY is some € 184, --. I assume you took the price for the complete lowering kit.
The shortest stand I saw there was -30mm. Seems way too short for a bike that hasn't been lowered. Maybe 10mm or less? I guess I'd try riding the bike onto a thin board to help get some idea before having the stand cut.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:23 PM

That must've been a tornado wind

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page