Touratech Zega Pro 2. - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

Old 03-21-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Touratech Zega Pro 2.

Has anyone got Zega Pro 2 top box and panniers on their AT.any feed back?also what u think of touratech upper and lower crash bars.any advice welcome.also SW Motech handle bar protectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 10:38 PM

I have the Zega Pro top box and am extremely disappointed in the design and craftsmanship.

The glue work looks like it was done by an elementary school arts and crafts class. I expected a lot more attention to detail for almost $500! Here are pictures from three different corners. The dealership contacted Touratech with pictures and Touratech offered a hat and t-shirt. Really?

Also, the key to open and close the box is silly. Locked position is the key being horizontal, unlocked is vertical. The issue is when you've unlocked the box you have to flick the lever then turn the key back to the locked position in order for the latch to unlatch because the head of the key is too wide. See the series of pictures. Once again, disappointing for $500.

This was my first experience with Touratech and I am so put off by the one product and their response I will steer clear of their crash bars and skid plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5595.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	24418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5596.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	24426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5598.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	24434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5590.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	24442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5591.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	24450  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5592.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	24458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5594.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	24466  
Old 05-20-2017, 11:27 PM

Garage
I don't blame you for being disappointed and upset. I looked at the Zegas before buying my Bumot Defenders. I was put off by them asking for an upcharge for anything but raw aluminum. My only criticism of the Bumots is that the edges on the lock hardware should have been knocked down more, they are pretty raw feeling.

---
Angels Camp, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 09:17 AM

Sorry for the problems you are having. I have the side racks and cases but they seem fine. I never noticed the locks since I just unlock and pull out the key.

Can you take it back to the dealer?
Old 05-21-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
Sorry for the problems you are having. I have the side racks and cases but they seem fine. I never noticed the locks since I just unlock and pull out the key.

Can you take it back to the dealer?
After the dealer informed me Touratech responded by offering a hat and t-shirt I didn't push the issue further. This was my first go around with a hard top case (always had soft tailbags). Was thinking the more I use it maybe I would get used to it but I'm finding the more I use it the more I DON'T like it.

If the weather is cold, the metal latch is uncomfortable to operate and with such a violent release, twice I've caught the tip of my thumb and pinched the skin.

Another thing I realized in the design is Touratech placed the cable that attaches the lid to the box on the side you would dismount your bike (clutch side). This is also a silly design because you are forced to fully access the box only from the back or throttle side.

Sometimes it is the very basic things that sets apart companies that actually use the products they produce and the companies that simply design products from a cubicle.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:19 PM

That is too bad. I donít like the wire that holds the lid from falling off on the panniers either. It gets caught on the mounting system there as well.

Touratech does make some good products and actually makes the racks and boxes for BMW. So I am not sure they are just a bunch of desk jockeyís.

I was thinking about getting a top box only for trips with my wife to give her a sense of security but I may figure something else out. The box is expensive and the rack is expensive to mount it to.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for reply.i fitted the touratech crash bars top and bottom and find them extremely strong.i also fitted the pannier rack for extra protection.i got the top box and carrier.mine looks fine and box can b locked to carrier.only thing is I drove home in torrential rain and there was a little bit of water on inside bottom when I got home.now it cld hv been from a plastic bag the dealer put in box as it was raining.hvnt got a bad wet day to try it out since.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in