Africa Twin DCT and two Tracer 900's - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mike5100
  • 1 Post By Yasko

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Africa Twin DCT and two Tracer 900's

Last Sunday I led the way between Middleton in Teesdale and Brough in the UK Pennine Hills. This is a switchback road that sweeps across moorland and drops through several valleys - two of which include hairpins in farmyards. Road surface is good in places but gets damaged by winter ice and snow and there's lots of loose gravel you have to keep an eye out for (as well as wandering sheep).
The two Tracers I was with were both ridden by much faster riders than me (one had swapped his Aprilia Tuono for the Tacer), and they had been polite but slightly bemused by my choice of Africa Twin last month - although they knew I'd go for DCT as I had had 3 NC DCTs.
We had pottered along on a gentle ride-out with two other riders until Middleton in Teesdale and I guessed these guys were probably a little bored and would shoot off ahead on this road that we all knew.
So I didn't give them the chance.
They barely kept up.
The At was stunning on this road. The suspension soaked up everything and they said afterwards that it just seemed to flow through and over everything.
I know it must have been close to the limit for them as they were buzzing with adrenalin when I pulled over in Brough, and they were talking about what an exhilerating 12 miles that had been. I was honestly nowhere near the limit of the AT and therefore nowhere near feeling I was near my personal limit. They talked about their suspension only getting out of kilter a few times - the AT's was perfect everywhere. They commented too on how amazing it was that a big trailie could switch fromm side to side so smoothly and stay so flat though all the switchbacks. Of course most of that was due to the perfect choice of gear by the DCT (in S-mode3) which meant I hardly had to touch the brakes and was always in exactly the right gear for powering out of the corners.
These are good fast riders but I should quailfy matters by saying that it's always easier for the first person in a group to be faster without riding faster, because the followers are always playing catchup. However, that's normally because of interruptions like other traffic and stop lights - of which there were none on this road last Sunday.
Mike
james.mc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:51 AM

Good report, Mike.. I agree with you..I had the tracer before I went for the dct AT. The At feels that can keep up with most bikes...Without any dramas..The power delivery it's so smooth...But without feeling underpower...And the dct makes a huge difference in my book... Especially on S3 ...Enjoy your bike ....I know I do ..Take care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:04 AM

I had one of the first MT-09 in 2013 in switzerland and like the Tracer 900, to me it's too light for the angry engine and throttle response while fun in the beginings is what causes a lot of issues. On normal roads it's just too extreme and I had many "oh ****" moments squeezing butcheeks !
The guys comment are also right, the front forks are not that great on those cheaper Yamahas, MY 2010 FZ8 had non adjustable but much more quality forks on it, I never felt like it would bounce off the road like the MT !

But where I really don't agree with what you say and what the guys thought, the "trails can't go fast in twisties" is nonsense, some people's driving styles are draging knee on a R6, some others throwing the handlebar on Trails, I'm of the later kind and I can quite easily follow or go faster than sportbikes on normal roads, It's having a bike that compliments your style that does the trick !
Track racing is another thing and of course Trails won't stand a chance of course, but because of high end power.

And Apparently the DCT is good to you, but I'm pretty sure a manual would have done just the same, because if I kinda race like you described I never go to fourth gear and sometimes to stay in middle revs were everything jumps, I don't always drop a gear, I use the clutch and jump out of corners, the DCT can't do that, It's a matter of driving style again.
I couldn't do this on the MT without TC it was too extreme, I tried and got really scared !

I really liked the Yamaha prices, but I think they hardware quality is a bit decreased, that's why I switched boats to Honda, whatever people that are disappointed with the AT quality say, you don't get better at such price.

But what amazes me mostly with the Honda, is I don't need that much concentration or confidence, it's mostly effortless to drive fast in twisties and that's where the Honda is to me as good as the Multistrada !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savas View Post
Good report, Mike.. I agree with you..I had the tracer before I went for the dct AT. The At feels that can keep up with most bikes...Without any dramas..The power delivery it's so smooth...But without feeling underpower...And the dct makes a huge difference in my book... Especially on S3 ...Enjoy your bike ....I know I do ..Take car
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree
Savas likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page