Anyone have this problem with their SENA? - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:00 PM

Maybe consider an amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
... but I have to have the volume on my music and GPS at maximum- it's OK but not exactly hifi.
I used to fly a lot and suffered from wind noise in the cabin, but found that a tiny portable amplifier (such as this) used in line with my earphones did boost the volume appreciably.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
That does sound interesting. I am using the dedicated Nolan kit rather than Sena, but I suspect Sena probably make it for Nolan. I use soft green earplugs pushed well home so I get virtually no wind noise, but I have to have the volume on my music and GPS at maximum- it's OK but not exactly hifi. Maybe better speakers would help. I guess there would be a trade-off in terms of battery life - better speakers with more volume means more power drain?
Mike
Actually it the opposite as the replacement speakers are more efficient & use less power, win, win
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:31 AM

Yetiboy - this is the kit I have got. I'm not very good at practical things so a couple of questions:
Would you cut the speaker cables and attempt to splice new ones together, or desolder the ends from the existing ones and try and resolder them to the new ones.
Are high qualty ones available that are as thin as these and is there a way of me checking that the impedance would match
Thanks
Mike

Last edited by mike5100; 04-03-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Yetiboy - this is the kit I have got. I'm not very good at practical things so a couple of questions:
Would you cut the speaker cables and attempt to splice new ones together, or desolder the ends from the existing ones and try and resolder them to the new ones.
Are high qualty ones available that are as thin as these and is there a way of me checking that the impedance would match
Thanks
Mike
I unsoldered the wires from the original speakers & resoldered them to the replacement speakers, you can check the impedance with a multimeter on the ohms setting, my Senas had 32 ohms resistance & the replacement Beats Studio 2 speakers were the same, I bought a pair of damaged headphones cheap & used the speakers out of them, they were slightly thicker than the Sena speakers but still fitted well in my Nexx helmet, try & get the speakers as close to you ears as you can while still being comfortable to minimise sound loss, the closer the better. Ill take some photos of the speaker mods I did & post them up here
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:17 AM

I found this post on the web, saves me pulling my helmet apart again to take some photos, the post is very similar to what I did just using different headphones, most headphones for portable devices will have a low impedance ( headphones speakers for home systems will not suit due to the high impedance (250- 750ohm's) & the power requirements they need, hope this helps: https://imgur.com/gallery/WDKeW
MildlyInterested likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:56 PM

Garage
I have been using active noise cancelling earbuds for some time now, and won't ride without them.
The advantage is that certain sounds, like traffic and sirens, are made more distinct because the buds cancel the white noise, and actually make riding safer and more pleasant.
They plug right into my Sena 20s, and are compatible with my Samsung phone a and the Samsung S voice system.
I bought them on E bay for about $40, and they have lasted over 4 years now.
Audio Technica ATH-ANC 23 is the brand /model.
gvmumbral likes this.

One cool & froody dude who knows where his towel is!

Last edited by Rubicon Al; 04-03-2019 at 03:02 PM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:05 AM

I ride with Decibulz ($25) earplugs https://www.decibullz.com/custom-molded-earplugs/ that I also use for shooting in my Arai XD-4. These ear plugs mold to your ear and are very comfortable. I often forget to take them out after riding. For riding I use the soft foam insert, and I get no wind noise. As previously mentioned I think the stock sena speakers sound better with plugs in verse out. I have a cheaper smh unit, but I am upgrading to the 10c Pro soon to add the camera. I have been told that the speaker upgrade between the two units is significant. If so, cant wait.

So if you want comfortable earplugs give the Decibulz a try. They are much easier to insert than disposable foam and you won't have to worry about the plug falling out when you put your helmet on. I have tried numerous ear plugz over the years, and by far these are the best for me.

MildlyInterested likes this.

Derek Perry
Ride 365
2017 AT
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:30 PM

I know this is in danger of sidetracking into earplugs, but can I just mention Derek, that if foam earplugs fall out of a rider's ears then they cannot have been inserted correctly. I am sure that many riders give up on plain cheap earplugs because they do not use this procedure:
(First Experiment with different types sizes and softness (everyone's ear canals are different)) Then:
- Make sure that the plug can be rolled into a very tight cylinder (and stays there for the time needed to insert - I keep a few pairs in the fridge as it helps)
- Wet the rolled up cylinder with plenty of spittle
- Push it right home - so it's almost touching your eardrum. If it doesn't go in that far you ain't done it right and it won't provide the quoted decibel reduction

I paid to get custom moulded ones made and sometimes these were OK but often they didn't fit so well (ear canal diameter changes with temperature I believe and the foam plugs deal with this whereas custom moulded ones do not). If they were too loose they would half fall out. If they were too tight they would hurt after an hour. Still got them and try them every now and again as I hate to throw a hundred bucks away.

However derek you may be meaning earbud speakers with soft foam, and I would agree with you these are useless, because you cannot follow the 3 step procedure above (because there's a hollow tube down the middle of the foam)
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page