Anyone have this problem with their SENA? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Anyone have this problem with their SENA?

Hi guys,

I know this isn't an AT specific question, but I bought a SENA this past winter for my snowsled and have found that I can't really hear much at speed. Wind noise is enough to drown out music, gps directions, etc.

Does anyone know of any earplugs with built in speakers that will plug into the SENA and offer ear protection, along with sound from the SENA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 02:05 PM

I always ride with foam earplugs in so hearing the SENA was always an issue. I added the supplied foam rubber spacers so the speakers were as close to my ears as they could be without being too tight. I haven't had any problems with volume since.

www.camel-adv.com Auxiliary fuel tanks and some other stuff
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 03:06 PM

Have you updated the firmware for your unit? There is an update that allows you to overdrive the sound a bit.
I wear custom-moulded earplugs and have the speakers in the earwells of my Shoei helmet. It's not 'loud' loud but it is audible on all but the windiest of days.
You can get custom plugs made and have headphones/earbuds moulded into them.
I got mine here: http://www.hearsmartsolutions.com/
Check out the section for "Music and Pro in-ear".

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

Last edited by superfunkomatic; 05-24-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I tried a regular set of earbuds today and it made a huge difference. Thanks for the help!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 08:10 PM

I use earplugs and I definitely have them on max volume when I ride.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 06:03 AM

Hi Matt.

I have a 10S and I use earplugs. I do not have a volume issue, in fact I turn the volume down. I chose this model because of bluetooth 4. I pair only my iPhone 6 to the SENA, not the GPS.
My mate has the 20S and we ride along quite often. He also does not have a volume issue. In fact we both believe these units have changed our 'riding experience'.

Africa Twin 2016 - Current
BWM GS1200 Adventure (12) - sold; BWM GS1200 Adventure (07) - sold; BWM GS1200 - sold; BWM GS1150 Adventure - sold; BMW GS1150 - sold; BMW F 650 (why?) - sold; Honda VF1000R - sold; Honda VF750F - sold; Suzuki GS 1000G - sold; Suzuki GT 750 - sold; Suzuki RM250 - sold; Suzuki 550GT - sold; Honda CB360 - sold; Yamaha XT250 - sold; Honda CB175 - sold; Yamaha DT50 - sold
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 08:27 AM

I just installed a 20S in mine and my wife's helmets this past week and speaker placement is crucial. Also I noticed that without earplugs it sounds "tinny" but with earplugs it sounds just right.

In the setup menu there is a setting called "Audio Boost" that will let you increase the volume (at the expense of some bass).
or you can just connect your earbuds to the earbud port on the left side of the clamp.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

I was able to move my speakers a bit, but my HJC helmet limits putting them "exactly" where I need them. Plugging my earbuds into the SENA port seems like my best option. Thanks!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:39 AM

I just did a mod to my Sena speakers, I replaced the terrible Sena speakers with the speakers from a damaged pair of beat studio headphones, wow what an amazing difference they made, now I can hear my music without screeching distortion & I dont need to turn the volume up full to hear them, easy mod & well worth the trouble to do if you can get a decent pair of 40mm headphone speakers
mike5100 and MildlyInterested like this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetiboy01 View Post
I just did a mod to my Sena speakers, I replaced the terrible Sena speakers with the speakers from a damaged pair of beat studio headphones, wow what an amazing difference they made, now I can hear my music without screeching distortion & I dont need to turn the volume up full to hear them, easy mod & well worth the trouble to do if you can get a decent pair of 40mm headphone speakers
That does sound interesting. I am using the dedicated Nolan kit rather than Sena, but I suspect Sena probably make it for Nolan. I use soft green earplugs pushed well home so I get virtually no wind noise, but I have to have the volume on my music and GPS at maximum- it's OK but not exactly hifi. Maybe better speakers would help. I guess there would be a trade-off in terms of battery life - better speakers with more volume means more power drain?
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page