Rear luggage rack/top case options - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear luggage rack/top case options

Why are many rear luggage racks so narrow? Do wider ones really look that bad, or is it to encourage lighter loads?
It has been discussed that the AT only holds 10kg/22lbs on this rack. When you add the weight of the mounting plate then a top box, there is very little remaining payload; maybe this is why we don't always find total component weight in the product descriptions? I plan to mostly use a soft bag back there for both weight and drag savings, maybe a hard case for security on city tours, (a different discussion).
Looking for a rack that will support a descent size drybag of clothes/gear perpendicular to the bike so I can keep the weight forward.

Here are some of the widest examples I've found, though product dimensions are also often omitted so I'm using the grab rails to determine width. The widest, (and likely least pretty), rectangle from Hepco Becker states not for top box mounting and also has a limit of 5kg, (too thin perhaps?).

I included the aluminum color Rugged Roads rack here for comparison as it (seems) narrower that the others and more represents the products I see on the market.

I found this thread from a member who made his own very nice solution, though he is a machinist and has access to the right equipment. https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum...html#post91538

For hard cases the rack need be only as wide as the mounting bracket, but for soft bags, isn't wider better, (to a point)? Obviously for one up I can use the pillion, but we're talking two up here.

Note: prices were for shipping to my residence and may differ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4323.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	25689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4318.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	25697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4320.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	25705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4324.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	25713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4325.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	25721  

Live to ride

Last edited by Niterunnr; 06-08-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 08:03 AM

I don’t really want a big rack so I am getting a piece of soft luggage that has a little more structure to it:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/drysp...lors-available
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 08:40 AM

If you are riding solo, several outfits make racks to replace the pillion: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...2SgaAiBP8P8HAQ

Even without a rack, using the pillion for cargo enables the carriage of much more than 22 pounds. I have the stock boxes, but for offroad trips, I use cheap ass Bilt drybags using the pillion AND rack...No hardware necessary, the two sidebags attach to the main bag and do not interfere with the exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 03:28 PM

I have the Hepco Becker rack and it's very light. I also have the stock panniers. Just did a ride over some pretty rough roads and had no problems with the Honda panniers, I had about 5kgs on the rack. I ended up using zip ties to hold the old soft pannier on the rack after the bungee cords gave up on the rough roads. I'm doing a lap of Australia later in the year and will probably use the pillion seat for camping gear, tent etc. I'm also thinking of fitting some small pouches to the crash bars for spare tubes etc.

Hope the photos help.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 10:13 PM

That Hepco Becker looks like what you are after if you want to go wide.

My set up is a Pro Moto Billet rack with a Pelican 1620 mounted. Weather proof and lockable.

Its perfect for my commuting, and light touring. Also going to use a Nelson Rigg tank bag.

It looks like a decent fit and easy mount.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 03:17 AM

Hepco Becker was a five minute job.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 02:29 PM

Garage
I put a SW-Motech black aluminium rack on mine,with a givi universal plastic top box plate and Kappa 35 litre topbox.Works fine as long as you keep the topbox load weight down to 10lbs or less.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justdrew View Post
I have the Hepco Becker rack and it's very light.
Thanks for the pics Drew, hope you don't mind my comment, the rack actually looks pretty good in your photo. Looks like you could put a hard luggage adapter plate on it if the end tabs bent down instead of up. Looks like the tabs won't clear the grab rails if you flip upside down.
I still wonder why HB put half the limit on this that Honda advises?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromcat View Post
I put a SW-Motech black aluminium rack on mine,with a givi universal plastic top box plate and Kappa 35 litre topbox.Works fine as long as you keep the topbox load weight down to 10lbs or less.
That's just it, 10lbs is almost nothing. How wide is the SW?

Live to ride
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 05:39 PM

My SW-motech panniers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1825_1497044303100.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	25793  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmgreen View Post
My SW-motech panniers.
Nice boxes Palm, but I'm more interested in your top luggage rack.

Live to ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page