Popping sound - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 11:26 AM

FWIW, the bike is 100% stock except for a swegotech, batzen adjuster and ALTrider skidplate.

Not certain any of those are causing the exhaust to pop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 01:26 PM

What type of fuel do you use?
The major brands ( shell, chevron and mobil ) or the cheaper brands ( 76, arco and costco )
I use 91 octane, personal preference ( shell )
It might just be me being anal but the Africa doesn't seem to digest the cheaper brands well and seems to make more noise
I have 12k miles on my AT
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

You raise a good point and I agree, the AT does not like cheap fuel. I did experience a near complete cut out which I could only attribute to cheap fuel and maybe abit of water had got into the tank. I had done a couple of supermarket fill ups previously. Only shell or equivalent now. Not however the cause of popping so the mystery continues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 11:35 PM

Popping sound

I'm having this issue on occasion not the popping and crackling you get from the exhaust when it's a bit lean I do believe it's a backfire into the throttle body and it's still due to being lean but lean down low not up high. As it happens at low revs sub 2k to me not at 3k+ so a very lean idle mixture to meet emissions regs. My 450 has a backfire screen on the oiled air filter to prevent this from igniting my filter.

Best fix would be a proper remap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I don't pity any man who does hard work worth doing. I admire him. I pity the creature who does not work, at whichever end of the social scale he may regard himself as being."

Theodore Roosevelt
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 11:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusk450x View Post

Best fix would be a proper remap.
Or just a Rapid Bike Easy
Nusk450x likes this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas man View Post
Guys, I know I fart a lot but I don't think it's that? I also don't think it's coming from the exhaust , though I know what you mean with that. It seems to be from the front and a can't recreate it with any one action. Very strange, not bothered by it just interested to find what causes it. Suspension somehow?In the meantime I'll keep on farting and loving riding the AT?
I get this too. Some sort of minor popping noise coming from what seems to be the front end on stop/starts. Like the front fork or tire is popping intermittently in those situations. Anyone else figure out what this is?
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 08:33 AM

Good morning. Bought an AT about a month ago and after only 300 miles my seat is making the popping sound on deceleration. I am sure it's not from the exhaust because I have re-created it when the engine is off and I shift my weight forward on the seat. I have the upper position selected for the seat because I'm a tall guy and can use the room. I'll switch the seat position and post the results.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 11:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetnarsaram View Post
What type of fuel do you use?
The major brands ( shell, chevron and mobil ) or the cheaper brands ( 76, arco and costco )
Do you have a reference for 76 being worse than Shell?

I recently switched from Shell to 76 because the location of the 76 is more convenient. I saw in the Consumer Reports link below that both are listed as "Top Tier" brands so I thought I was safe making the switch.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...h-extra-price/

I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

it was the seat for me!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 10:59 PM

I get the same popping sound from the front of my seat as well. Can only assume it is the lug on the front of seat moving in the loop on the tank. I have removed and refitted the seat numerous times and can not get it to stop. Happens more on take off than stopping.

GET A GRIP........ON REALITY,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page