Getting settled in the the DCT. - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Getting settled in the the DCT.

Finally after a little over 500 miles I've got the DCT down. Slow speed parking lot stuff felt weird to me like I didn't have control of the bike. But now it's a breeze to handle and maybe the transmission is breaking in some. I found that with the traction control turned off and sport mode 2 works the best for me. I was worried that the DCT would hurt my manual shifting ability but it hasn't in the least but then it would be hard to mess up some 45 years of riding a manual shift. I rode my KLR to work today and it felt light. Light and KLR usually don't go together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 06:45 PM

I hear ya. I've been riding for over 30 years with a "manual" shift. I was worried the DCT was going to mess me up when I got on my Ducati. Like you though too many years of muscle memory. The only thing I did a couple of times after riding my AT for a few weeks and not my Ducati was just twist the throttle when I was at a light in neutral and had to shift into first. But haven't had that issue since...

I'm a big fan of the DCT. Really fantastic off-road especially when things get technical. Nice not having to worry about stalling the bike on a steep loose rocky section!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdub View Post
Finally after a little over 500 miles I've got the DCT down. Slow speed parking lot stuff felt weird to me like I didn't have control of the bike. But now it's a breeze to handle and maybe the transmission is breaking in some. I found that with the traction control turned off and sport mode 2 works the best for me. I was worried that the DCT would hurt my manual shifting ability but it hasn't in the least but then it would be hard to mess up some 45 years of riding a manual shift. I rode my KLR to work today and it felt light. Light and KLR usually don't go together.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 12:50 AM

Garage
I figure in ten or fifteen years when I'm in my 50s I'll get a DCT. For now I still enjoy the direct connection. I would like to try riding the DCT once just to see what it's like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-motofabio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 02:31 AM

I had to learn not to blip the throttle or let off the throttle during shifts. Really it was about learning the throttle was ALWAYS workin. Manual shifting is awesome, just like a regular trans only no clutch. I really like it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motofabio View Post
I figure in ten or fifteen years when I'm in my 50s I'll get a DCT. For now I still enjoy the direct connection.
I only miss the direct connection with very slow speed stuff, the rest of the time I love DCT but then I am nearer 60 than 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motofabio View Post
I would like to try riding the DCT once just to see what it's like.
I recommend that you dont try DCT you might just like it ;-)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 04:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytco0 View Post
I recommend that you dont try DCT you might just like it ;-)
Precisely what I am afraid of!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-motofabio
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

The more seat time I get with it the more I like it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 01:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdub View Post
. I rode my KLR to work today and it felt light. Light and KLR usually don't go together.
NOPE, those have never really gone together. I'm also coming from a KLR to the AT DCT and LOVING the DCT overall. I have some left knee and ankle problems which don't cause issues on my Victory Vision with its' forward controls position but did on the KLR (or any other bike where your feet are straight below). Having driven DCT equipped cars as well, I was only partly sure I'd like it on the AT, but now with about 4000 KM am a total convert. At 66 yrs, I may not buy another similar style bike, BUT if I do, it will have the DCT as it's just too good to not have, both on road and relatively mile off road. Glad I didn't "chicken out" re the DCT, as I'd been tempted to do.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 01:57 AM

Garage
Kdub, just out of interest are you keeping the KLR as well as the AT and if so why (looking for justification answers for my other half, who basically thinks all motorcycles are the same, (ie stupid) lol
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Ok. My 2007 KLR has been paid for, for years and its cheap to keep it. Anything I might get for it would be like giving it away because its like brand new.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page