DCT Sport mode issues - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes

post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 11:35 AM

I was reading a Advrider report from a AT DCT rider doing the TAT and he found the DCT to actually pull the bike down steep hills which he found to be very concerning. He ended up trading the bike in for a manual about half way through his TAT ride. I have a DCT and haven't tested yet but did notice a bit of a pull just after start up last night before going out for a ride. My idle did seem to be a bit strong, which I wonder if that is related to startup. May look at adjusting that a bit lower. Need to pay closer attention after the bike is warmed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upontheridge View Post
I was reading a Advrider report from a AT DCT rider doing the TAT and he found the DCT to actually pull the bike down steep hills which he found to be very concerning. He ended up trading the bike in for a manual about half way through his TAT ride. I have a DCT and haven't tested yet but did notice a bit of a pull just after start up last night before going out for a ride. My idle did seem to be a bit strong, which I wonder if that is related to startup. May look at adjusting that a bit lower. Need to pay closer attention after the bike is warmed up.
Yes - just like any automatic - car or motorbike, you need to be aware of the higher revs for maybe 2 minutes during warmup.
Mike
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Many thanks for all your responses. My AT is being collected today by the dealer, who will be replacing the switchgear under the Honda warranty. I was informed that there has already been a recall from Honda for this (D-S switch) as they know that quite a few have failed after a relatively short space of time. Hopefully this will sort the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Further update on my ongoing problems with the 2016 AT DCT. The bike is still at the Honda dealership, as the diagnosis has now changed from faulty switch gear to a malfunctioning and faulty ECU. Honda are now needing to totally replace the ECU along with associated new ignition keys etc. Don't know yet when I will get the bike back, but the dealer have loaned me a new 2017 DCT AT model to use until I get mine back. Anyone else out there had any ECU problems?
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 01:03 PM

Garage
Hinckley, sorry to hear your problems keep appearing/escalating. Is the ECU problem you advise above causing the unit to not shift from D into S mode, or was that corrected by earlier posts advising how to get from D to S, S2, S3 etc.
I also have a '16 DCT so am watching your comments with interest. Please keep us all informed. I've not as yet noticed any real issues, although I sometimes think the idle speed is too high (1400 range) and sometimes it feels kind of "lumpy". This lumpiness feels like a bit of a misfire to me, and is sometimes even noticeable when approaching a stop and the bike is gearing down with throttle closed, and getting to a slow speed in 2nd or 1st gear where the "lumpiness" of the idle seems to make the bike almost "buck" at little. \My riding season is only about another month, so it's not going in to be checked yet as I'll have all winter to get it looked into, but I think some adjustment is required. FYI, I'm at about 7000 KM total mileage so far, and this seems to have been getting more noticeable since about 4500 or so.
PS; Notice any other differences while you're riding the '17 loaner.??
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Hi Ridenfun, thank you for your response and interest. Firstly, the problems I previously reported about being stuck in Drive mode and not able to switch into any of the Sport riding modes was not fixed and is now being directly attributed to a faulty ECU. This would also go some way to explaining the 'lumpy' gear changes whilst in Drive mode. The 2017 AT DCT loan bike is obviously able to access all the gearing modes and is a truly wonderful motorcycle in my opinion, and what I expect mine to be when the new ECU has been fitted. My bike has now just moved onto 6,000 miles for your information. It might be good if we kept in touch as time progresses with updates on how our bikes are performing, as the comparisons would be really helpful I think. I will of course keep you and others on the forum up to speed on how my bike is when I eventually get it back. I'm expecting an update from the dealer tomorrow (Wednesday), so watch this space! Safe riding.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley Hammer View Post
Hi Ridenfun, thank you for your response and interest. Firstly, the problems I previously reported about being stuck in Drive mode and not able to switch into any of the Sport riding modes was not fixed and is now being directly attributed to a faulty ECU. This would also go some way to explaining the 'lumpy' gear changes whilst in Drive mode. The 2017 AT DCT loan bike is obviously able to access all the gearing modes and is a truly wonderful motorcycle in my opinion, and what I expect mine to be when the new ECU has been fitted. My bike has now just moved onto 6,000 miles for your information. It might be good if we kept in touch as time progresses with updates on how our bikes are performing, as the comparisons would be really helpful I think. I will of course keep you and others on the forum up to speed on how my bike is when I eventually get it back. I'm expecting an update from the dealer tomorrow (Wednesday), so watch this space! Safe riding.
Definitely please continue to update us, thank you.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 12:56 AM

Garage
Hinckley, great idea of keeping in touch via the forum. I was out today for about 350 KM, and I "THINK" I am noticing the lumpiness even more (maybe psychological??) My idle is not always very smooth, sometimes seems like it "misses" and it is sometimes enough that even while idling I can see the silly tach lose 1 bar then jump back up. I'll keep watching both your comments and my bikes performance.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridenfun View Post
Hinckley, great idea of keeping in touch via the forum. I was out today for about 350 KM, and I "THINK" I am noticing the lumpiness even more (maybe psychological??) My idle is not always very smooth, sometimes seems like it "misses" and it is sometimes enough that even while idling I can see the silly tach lose 1 bar then jump back up. I'll keep watching both your comments and my bikes performance.
Mine's at 8k miles now and I must confess that the feeling of lumpiness is growing on me too - even at 4000rpm cruising along a motorway
Mike
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:16 AM
pjm

Just about 1100 miles in mine. I sometimes feel it is a little lumpy at around 20-25mph when bumbling along in traffic. After that it smooths out. I was thinking of disconnecting the battery to try and do a ECU reset and then run a DCT reset to see if it improved it.its not terrible but it is there. Like it's running slightly rough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page