Bonneville t120 to Africa Twin? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Bonneville t120 to Africa Twin?

I know that's not an expected transition, but it's one I'm considering. I lost my bike to a Prius and am currently shopping for a new one. I love to tour/camp/take long multi-day trips, and the Bonnie was great but I'm not sure I want another.

My two concerns with the Twin are the wind protection and the suspension. I've never had a windshield, so I'm guessing anything would feel luxurious. I test-rode a Vstrom and thought that was a dream in terms of wind protection despite many complaining of buffeting and such. If the Twin's wind protection would get me through a day with less fatigue than no windshield at all, I'd be thrilled.

On the suspension I'll be riding mostly street, with a decent measure if fire and gravel roads if i can find them. I've read about the Twin lacking in the twisties, but if that's compared to a sport bike.... I'm trying to figure out if it would seem unsettling in the turns compared to a standard. And what if I adjust the Twin's suspension to SUPAH-FIRM?

I wish I could find a place to test ride the AT in Los Angeles but I can't. I might rent one.

Anyway, I like the looks of the AT. The Strom is probably the better bike for me, but I have a hard time seeing me forming a real bond with it: kinda like a girl that's nice on a date, but there's no spark. The AT though........

Thoughts?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 07:52 PM

Like moving from an MGB to a Honda S2000. They each have the same number of wheels.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

OK, Fine, I'll rent one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 05:35 AM

Garage
Now the 2018 model has been announced you should start to find the pile of second hand 2016/2017 models coming on stream later on in the summer, very cheap too. Most will be pre-farkled saving you a pile of cash for a well sorted bike. If you are going to buy new look for a huge, absolutely huge discount off the dealer for a 2017 model. In fact if someone wanted an AT today I can see no reason on earth you wouldn't buy second hand now.

Oh, I think you will love the bike too.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 12:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfreakaTwin View Post
I know that's not an expected transition, but it's one I'm considering. I lost my bike to a Prius and am currently shopping for a new one. I love to tour/camp/take long multi-day trips, and the Bonnie was great but I'm not sure I want another.

My two concerns with the Twin are the wind protection and the suspension. I've never had a windshield, so I'm guessing anything would feel luxurious. I test-rode a Vstrom and thought that was a dream in terms of wind protection despite many complaining of buffeting and such. If the Twin's wind protection would get me through a day with less fatigue than no windshield at all, I'd be thrilled.

On the suspension I'll be riding mostly street, with a decent measure if fire and gravel roads if i can find them. I've read about the Twin lacking in the twisties, but if that's compared to a sport bike.... I'm trying to figure out if it would seem unsettling in the turns compared to a standard. And what if I adjust the Twin's suspension to SUPAH-FIRM?

I wish I could find a place to test ride the AT in Los Angeles but I can't. I might rent one.

Anyway, I like the looks of the AT. The Strom is probably the better bike for me, but I have a hard time seeing me forming a real bond with it: kinda like a girl that's nice on a date, but there's no spark. The AT though........

Thoughts?!
I'm 6'2", 200lbs and absolutely love my AT on and off road. The weight balance is terrific and the power delivery is ideal for most situations. In my mind, the perfect "do everything" bike. Sure there is some wind at speed- it helps keep you cool in the summer.

Recently hooked up with my dad for a mini tour of the south Okanagan valley. He just got his T120. I didn't have any trouble staying ahead of him in the twisties
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 8.28.58 AM.png
Views:	117
Size:	806.3 KB
ID:	35706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 8.34.52 AM.png
Views:	130
Size:	831.0 KB
ID:	35714  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

yes! It's like my past and future united.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

What's absolutely "huge"? I know this largely depends on the dealer, but what sort of range should I be looking for?

S-
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 04:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
What's absolutely "huge"? I know this largely depends on the dealer, but what sort of range should I be looking for?

S-
I would look for at least 20% off normal price for a new 2017, deals on extended warranty and any extras like luggage. It will be easier for us in Europe as they are going to release the 2018 model in February I believe, going to be a good bit longer Stateside. To me it just doesn't make sense buying new now though, go for an early 2nd hand model someone has looked after and if you really love it consider the 2018 model and trade-in your temporary one then.

When buying 2nd hand remember all those farkles are worth little to nowt, everyone thinks they are but they are not. If they paid $200 for something its only worth $50 to you! Private sellers always overprice their bike because they loved and cherished it and think it is worth every penny. If you see a 2nd hand one in a dealer for $8000 you should look to pay $6000-$6500 privately for the same thing.

Last edited by eltel62; 11-08-2017 at 06:16 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
... I've read about the Twin lacking in the twisties....
It has a 21" front wheel. Watch this. Guy Martin on an Africa Twin.
davidji and GripsterTankGrip like this.

Last edited by RobertKLR; 11-08-2017 at 08:13 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:

Do you mean damping or preload? With single rate springs, you can't really adjust the spring rate without changing the springs.

I road tripped with a friend who rides a T120, and I was faster than him in the twisties, and much faster in the gravel. The AT is not a sport bike, but it's really fun in the tightish corners. It's fun on fast sweepers too, but more easily unsettled compared to bikes with a street tuned suspension. If you're not expecting a sport bike I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you are, you can dial in the suspension to better suit your needs.

I found the ATs buffeting annoying until I installed the swegotech fork shield. There are other solutions as well, but I don't need them. YMMV.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page