My observations after the first few rides. - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 13Likes

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
Yes you receive new shaped foam with a cover to fit along with a fitted cover for the stock shape rear foam so front and rear match. I've done four myself now and will say I was a little nervous on the first one but it's really quite easy. You unstable the factory cover, which is probably the most difficult part, the foam just lifts right off. I spot glued the new foam onto the base with spray contact adhesive just to prevent it from moving while I staple the new cover on.
I picked up a pneumatic stapler from Harbor Freight along with 1/4" staples for under $30. https://www.harborfreight.com/20-gau...ler-61619.html

Here's a comparison of the original seat foam with the new SC seat.

The stock seat width is effectively 11" at which point the foam slopes downward to the side.

SC foam is slightly dished so the sides raise up almost to the edge then turns down which gets you 12 1/2" width. Also as mentioned they completely do away with the forward slope. This is accomplished by slightly raising or building up the front while leaving the rear seating about the same height as stock.

SC also offers a Rally seat for the AT which is completely different, the riders seat is probably 3" taller and it includes new passenger foam as well because they lower it.

Here's a video of them showing you how to recover a seat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdKtzdWXTeE

They'll do the recover for you for only $25 but shipping a seat base to them and shipping back can be expensive.
why a pneumatic stapler and not a staple gun?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The professor View Post
Yeah that would be great, that's the one I was looking at, so seeing how you mounted it would be great. Did you run a relay to power it...do you have to??? Thanks.
Yes, you do need a relay, which comes with the horn. That's another reason I like the optional wiring harness. It has a spot where you just plug the relay in, so you don't have to wire it up yourself.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant View Post
why a pneumatic stapler and not a staple gun?
Pneumatic stapler had an extended nose to reach. Pneumatic can be adjusted for the correct penetration, I'm not sure a hand stapler would even penetrate the plastic pan? It make's the job much easier, and they're cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Great post Wiley, thanks for all the info.
Al
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Wiley, if I bought the seat kit, could I re-cover the seat using the new foam shape , but also using the Honda OEM seat cover? I do like the material and colour of the OEM seat, so do you think it would fit instead of using the Seat Concepts seat cover?

Quote:
Pneumatic stapler had an extended nose to reach. Pneumatic can be adjusted for the correct penetration, I'm not sure a hand stapler would even penetrate the plastic pan? It make's the job much easier, and they're cheap.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 10:28 AM

Professor I seriously doubt the a stock cover will fit the new foam, given the front is higher and the rear wider you'd likely run short of material where it turns under to staple. If you COULD somehow tug it hard enough to reach I imagine there'll be stretch wrinkles impossible to eliminate.

I'd prefer SC offer a plain vinyl rather than "carbon fiber" but unfortunately that's all they have, unless you want "gripper" (which I don't care for). After I got my first seat done with carbon fiber texture, on an FJ-09, and saw it in the flesh I actually like it though.

If you get one and for some reason wouldn't like it I suppose you could just attach the old foam and cover back on. Personally I'd leave my SC seat on even if it had a pink alligator pattern cover. It's that nice. For anyone that likes really firm seats, such as Corbin, request "use firmer foam than normal". Otherwise it'll be about like what Sargent uses, which is probably what most riders like anyway.
The professor likes this.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot Wiley, I really appreciate your responses.

Quote:
Professor I seriously doubt the a stock cover will fit the new foam, given the front is higher and the rear wider you'd likely run short of material where it turns under to staple. If you COULD somehow tug it hard enough to reach I imagine there'll be stretch wrinkles impossible to eliminate.

I'd prefer SC offer a plain vinyl rather than "carbon fiber" but unfortunately that's all they have, unless you want "gripper" (which I don't care for). After I got my first seat done with carbon fiber texture, on an FJ-09, and saw it in the flesh I actually like it though.

If you get one and for some reason wouldn't like it I suppose you could just attach the old foam and cover back on. Personally I'd leave my SC seat on even if it had a pink alligator pattern cover. It's that nice. For anyone that likes really firm seats, such as Corbin, request "use firmer foam than normal". Otherwise it'll be about like what Sargent uses, which is probably what most riders like anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page