Puncture on tube tyres a pain!!! - Page 5 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 21Likes

post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 08:10 AM

Yes. Ive had it for two years now and done 22k miles. Been all round Europe and also use it for work in town going to clients. it has proved to be a great all rounder and have no intention at the moment to change it. Other than Outex the only other real alteration is fitting a Hyperpro spring which I think has helped a lot. The OEM was far too soft IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas man View Post
Yes. Ive had it for two years now and done 22k miles. Been all round Europe and also use it for work in town going to clients. it has proved to be a great all rounder and have no intention at the moment to change it. Other than Outex the only other real alteration is fitting a Hyperpro spring which I think has helped a lot. The OEM was far too soft IMO
Thanks Gas Man and good to hear the outex is working so well for you. I was leaning towards the 3M route but the ease of the Outex istempting. I had just figured that I could do it more securely with 3M.
You mentioned in another post you had it done at Honda Chiswick. Mind if I ask where you bought the outex and how much it was and how it cost for them to fit it?
I take it you did the front and rear conversion?
Thanks,
VT
Miked6631 likes this.

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:35 PM

Hi,
I have heard 3M is just as good and would have had no problems using it but got Outex because it came as a complete package, valves etc (and lovely white gloves!) so was chosen simply for ease and obviously has a proven track record. Basically i'm time poor and bloody lazy! I bought it off ebay for approx 130 and paid around 100 to fit it if I remember rightly. Again, time poor and bloody lazy! Correct I did both front and rear. On my original wheels I ran the Dunlops for 8k, then went with Conti TA2 with the tubes which are a great tyre and then with the Outex going onto my new wheels (courtesy of warranty) I thought I would try the Scorpion which have also been great. If your question about front and rear concerns the safety aspect on the front or rather supposed lack of then I have not heard one convincing argument from anyone why it should be a problem with no tube and TL tyres. And I have not experienced a problem unlike with tubes. My logic is that if you hit a nail on tubeless you have half a chance of losing no pressure at all or maybe a slow pressure loss whereas if you have tubes its pretty much instant pressure loss regardless.....as I have experienced once. Personally I don't get tubes and think they are relics from another age. If your going off road I would still prefer tubeless....you can always take a pair of tubes with you just in case you get in the sh1t and bust your rim. Just my personal opinion! ps Chiswick Honda are great and Mark and Paul are really helpful and knowledgeable. Pavel the mechanic owns an AT, has fitted Outex on his and other customers and knows the bike really well. Good luck
VaraderoTwin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:20 PM

Outex just arrived today, so the next order of business is to decide what new tires to try, as the original Dunlops are pretty-well toast. An 80/20 would be ideal for my riding, and I am intrigued by the new dual compound Anakee Adventure given that I have had great luck with the dual-compound Elite 4 on my Wing, but not so available just yet. Will want something that gives at least a solid 5,000 plus miles, and given that I live in Oregon, it will need to move water. Dare I ask thoughts?

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, 1972 CT2 Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!
post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Hi,
I have heard 3M is just as good and would have had no problems using it but got Outex because it came as a complete package, valves etc (and lovely white gloves!) so was chosen simply for ease and obviously has a proven track record. Basically i'm time poor and bloody lazy! I bought it off ebay for approx 130 and paid around 100 to fit it if I remember rightly. Again, time poor and bloody lazy! Correct I did both front and rear. On my original wheels I ran the Dunlops for 8k, then went with Conti TA2 with the tubes which are a great tyre and then with the Outex going onto my new wheels (courtesy of warranty) I thought I would try the Scorpion which have also been great. If your question about front and rear concerns the safety aspect on the front or rather supposed lack of then I have not heard one convincing argument from anyone why it should be a problem with no tube and TL tyres. And I have not experienced a problem unlike with tubes. My logic is that if you hit a nail on tubeless you have half a chance of losing no pressure at all or maybe a slow pressure loss whereas if you have tubes its pretty much instant pressure loss regardless.....as I have experienced once. Personally I don't get tubes and think they are relics from another age. If your going off road I would still prefer tubeless....you can always take a pair of tubes with you just in case you get in the sh1t and bust your rim. Just my personal opinion! ps Chiswick Honda are great and Mark and Paul are really helpful and knowledgeable. Pavel the mechanic owns an AT, has fitted Outex on his and other customers and knows the bike really well. Good luck
Thanks very much Gas man.
I basically just want to do it myself so I can have a go at taking the wheels off the bike and changing tires. Never did it before on a bike but have done many car tires when I had a summer job in a garage when I was 15 lol. Though that was using lots of nice power tools that made even changing Pirelli P zero's a piece of cake. 230 all in sounds like a very decent price though. If I manage to do everything with 3M plus the tools I'll need to buy (beadbreaker, rim shield etc)for under 230 I'll be happy, then I'll save on future tire changes and learn a new skill.
Never did any of the work myself on the Varadero but for some reason the AT makes me want to get my hands dirty haha
gas man likes this.

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
post #46 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 11:30 AM

Good luck. Remember......... it is all in the prep!!!
post #47 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Good luck. Remember......... it is all in the prep!!!
Thanks. Any chance you have a copy of the instructions from outex on the prep? And do you remember the size of the tape? I got a 5m roll of the 3m 4412 at 5cm wide so will age to cut for the front. Thanks!

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
post #48 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:32 AM

Sorry, havent kept anything. When i say prep i mean getting that wheel clean enough to eat your dinner off!! I would also create some sort of set up whereby you can spin the wheel as you afix the tape.
post #49 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Sorry, havent kept anything. When i say prep i mean getting that wheel clean enough to eat your dinner off!! I would also create some sort of set up whereby you can spin the wheel as you afix the tape.
Spin the wheel??? That's going to be the gf's job, although she doesn't know it yet! Thought of doing it rim on bike but I want to do it inside where its warmer.

Apart from cleaning, did it recommend to sand the rim at all or rough it up?
Thanks,

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
post #50 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:35 PM

I dont remember it saying anything but obviously you may need to smooth down the heads of any spokes that have any sharp edges.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page