Frame construction? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 8Likes

Old 01-21-2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Frame construction?

The more pictures I see of the new AT, the more convinced I am that the frame/chassis is all steel. Can anyone confirm this? If I'm wrong, which bits are not steel?

Further disappointment is that the subframe looks to be welded as part of the main frame. Always a bad practice as slight damage to the rear end in an accident will require a new frame instead of just the rear subframe. But again, I could be wrong as I'm only looking at pictures.

Could someone confirm these points, either way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2016, 01:42 PM

Confirmed by cycleworld, the double-cradle frame made of high-tensile steel.

As for the welding, I'm not 100% sure so I can't help you with that.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that. Disappointing though. Not a deal breaker, but I do prefer the fact that aluminium doesn't rust. Maybe they consider the steel better at withstanding long term abuse off-road.

Still, that's the way it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2016, 02:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
During the evenings around campfires and dinner tables I made a point of chatting to Maurizio Carbonara, the lead designer of the new Africa Twin.

Maurizio told me that he initially wanted a beautiful and lightweight aluminium frame, but that Honda’s project leaders insisted on a practical steel frame.

The Italian relented but asked that a detachable sub-frame be made of steel, but allow him to cast the cradle frame in aluminium.
The answer was still "no" from the Honda bosses.
They explained that despite their intention to build a tough motorcycle, they acknowledge that all metals can break when you travel around the world on a loaded bike – they wanted adventurers to be able to pull into a backwater workshop anywhere between Kinshasa and Krasnoyarsk and have a cracked frame welded up by a local with a oxy/acetylene torch.
Source: http://theworldaccordingtoluckystrik...rica-twin.html
Old 01-21-2016, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Interesting and completely understandable about using steel. But not having the subframe bolt on (and off) is mystifying as it is irrelevant to those points raised above.

I'd still prefer aluminium anyway, so I'm with Maurizio Carbonara on that.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:20 AM

If they used aluminium the costs would have increased, besides making it weaker. It will have to take some serious beating to damage it and then I'd rather have the whole thing replaced by insurance anyway(or just welded until you can get it replaced).
Old 01-22-2016, 04:29 PM

My 750 Super Ten had an all steel frame, so does the original Africa Twin, can't see why people are getting their knickers in a twist over the new AT frame.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:40 PM

So was my Tiger 800XC - at least you can un-bolt the pillion pegs from the AT frame :-)
rider_marc and Dave CT like this.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
... can't see why people are getting their knickers in a twist over the new AT frame.
Who's got twisted knickers? I have my preferences which I've stated and for me it's a disappointing aspect of the AT, but it won't prevent me from buying one. These are just observations and opinions, but everyone is entitled to make and have their own.
rider_marc likes this.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:09 PM

made from steel yet still broke under the top box while off-road:

pathetic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in