• 1 Post By doctord23
  • 1 Post By Shifty
  • 1 Post By superfunkomatic
  • 1 Post By Elvisto
  • 1 Post By Bless The Rains

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
How quick to swap wheels?

Does anyone out there have one set of wheels+tires for the road and another for the dirt?

If so, how long does it take you to swap both wheels? And do you use a special jack or just the center stand?

I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bless The Rains View Post
Does anyone out there have one set of wheels+tires for the road and another for the dirt?

If so, how long does it take you to swap both wheels? And do you use a special jack or just the center stand?
I've removed both wheels myself, and put them back on. It takes longer than 5 minutes, but it isn't an all day job. It may take over an hour the first time you do it, but I suspect that you could get it down under half an hour with practice.

I removed mine to take them into the bike shop so they could remove the tyres for me (now, that is quick - for them) and then return them to the bike shop to put the new tyres on (after I had installed my Outex system). My local bike shop only charges about ten bucks to mount a tyre, that's great value for the time & effort I'm saving!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:50 AM

Doesn’t take long to Swap wheels, it’s the brake discs that are a faff..... but I’m too mean to buy another set...
Need to swap mine again and take the TKC 80s off , if they didn’t wear so fast on the road I wouldn’t bother!

Last edited by Henery; 06-12-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henery View Post
Doesnít take long to Swap wheels, itís the brake discs that are a faff..... but Iím too mean to buy another set...
Need to swap mine again and take the TKC 80s off , if they didnít wear so fast on the road I wouldnít bother!
If I go this route, I was planning to put another set of rotors on both wheels (pricey, I know).

Maybe I should just take mine off and put them back on several times and see how fast I can do it!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 11:52 AM

I have 2 sets of wheels and the swap is pretty quick.
I have a brake rotor on each rear wheel, but I have to swap the ABS sensor and sprocket on the rear and the two rotors on the front (ABS sensor is attached to the rotor).

I put it on the center stand and swap the rear wheel first. Pretty straight forward. Swap sprocket, ABS sensor and spacers and back on. Be careful if you lay the wheel on its side on the ground after you pull the sprocket and cush drive because the inner hub is soft metal and can get damaged or dirty.

I then push down on the back of the bike while its on the center stand and slide a small jack stand under the skid plate to elevate the front wheel. Loosen one of the brake calipers and remove it's lower mounting bolt so I can swing it out of the way when I remove the wheel. Pull the axle remove the wheel, swap the rotors and spacers and reinstall.

Taking my time it is not over a half hour beginning to end. If I was in a hurry, maybe 10 minutes.
Bless The Rains likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 12:01 PM

10min? Like to see a video of that.
superfunkomatic likes this.

CRF1000 DCT
XS650
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 12:43 PM

10 minutes ! Your having a laugh surely, only done it once so far so going to be slow..... ten minutes .... I wish !
Great work if you can pull it off tho !!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 06:58 PM

I think reasonably it could be done in half an hour to forty five minutes if you have rotors and an abs ring on both sets. Easily under an hour if you have to swap parts back and forth.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Ė Robert Louis Stevenson

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 04:11 AM

I noticed this post yesterday morning, I was having new tyres fitted to my ATAS yesterday so I noted how long it took me,

Start the clock,I loosened both front and rear spindles (wow the rear was tight) placed a box under the engine ,front first, removed the callipers remove wheel and spacers,

Rear , removed the brake calliper (mines DCT,didnt remove parking brake) partly removed spindle pushed wheel forward lifted off chain, remove spindle and slide wheel out,
Total time 25 minutes didn't rush ,just took my time,
Had tyres fitted took a couple of hrs, after a few coffees and chats,

Back on the Clock,,,Cleaned and greased all the spacers and spindles, fitted the front wheel first, then onto the back, slid the wheel into the bottom brake calliper nice and gently, thread chain partly on lift wheel and slide in spindle rotate wheel to fully fit chain, fit brake calliper , watch the shim stays in place on calliper tighten it all up,

Fully tighten all bolts on front and rear wheels, wipe any greasy marks off wheels etc, clean discs with brake cleaner on a cloth, pump front and rear brake levers, and put away spanners etc , oh! and check to make sure you don't have any bits left over,
50 minutes,
Total 75 minutes, I'm sure I could have done it a lot quicker, but I didn't have a need too, It was on the centre stand at all times, wouldn't like to do it without a c/stand, lol

Adventure before Dementia,
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisto View Post
I noticed this post yesterday morning, I was having new tyres fitted to my ATAS yesterday so I noted how long it took me,

Start the clock,I loosened both front and rear spindles (wow the rear was tight) placed a box under the engine ,front first, removed the callipers remove wheel and spacers,

Rear , removed the brake calliper (mines DCT,didnt remove parking brake) partly removed spindle pushed wheel forward lifted off chain, remove spindle and slide wheel out,
Total time 25 minutes didn't rush ,just took my time,
Had tyres fitted took a couple of hrs, after a few coffees and chats,

Back on the Clock,,,Cleaned and greased all the spacers and spindles, fitted the front wheel first, then onto the back, slid the wheel into the bottom brake calliper nice and gently, thread chain partly on lift wheel and slide in spindle rotate wheel to fully fit chain, fit brake calliper , watch the shim stays in place on calliper tighten it all up,

Fully tighten all bolts on front and rear wheels, wipe any greasy marks off wheels etc, clean discs with brake cleaner on a cloth, pump front and rear brake levers, and put away spanners etc , oh! and check to make sure you don't have any bits left over,
50 minutes,
Total 75 minutes, I'm sure I could have done it a lot quicker, but I didn't have a need too, It was on the centre stand at all times, wouldn't like to do it without a c/stand, lol
Thanks! That's really useful information.

Overall, it looks like it's more than a simple 10 minute job. So for now I'll just get some 50/50 tires for on/off road and see how well it works for commuting during the week and off-road on the weekend.
superfunkomatic likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page